By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - GameInformer: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Reflex Review gets 6.5/10

I rarely comment on reviews, but... Holy shit, this review was awful. This guy made it sound like it was an ordeal to use the Wii Remote and Nunchuck. It's fine if you prefer dual analog, but seriously, to say it like this, is quite hilarious.

Around the Network

People shouldn't really compare the Wiimote to holding and shooting an actual gun. Granted its much closer to the real thing than moving two control sticks, but in "reality" very few of the HARDCORE are hardcore enough to shoot a man.

GI reviews every Wii game will almost always be great well, and anything else poorly. Madworld is the only review that caught me off guard from them (a 9.0). GI is filled with idiots, that much is obvious. One review claims Wiimote control in FPS are great (MP3), the other ok (MoHH2), and the rest unplayable. That form of contradiction isnt very respectable in a publication.

Craan said:
So sofar gamespot have said the controls for Metroid Prime Trilogy suck, The Controls for the conduit suck, and the controls for this suck too.

At least they're consistent.

Granted its much closer to the real thing than moving two control sticks, but in "reality" very few of the HARDCORE are hardcore enough to shoot a man. ---- wat is the point of this?

FYI, I finally played MW:R for the Wii last night, and I'd say all in all, its very comparable with World at War, maybe slightly better in the shadows department. The complaint this reviewer made about the controls is extremely inaccurate, unless he hated the controls in WaW (I doubt he even bothered to play that one tho, or he'd have said that).

All in all, it comes down to this - of you liked WaW on the Wii, you'll like MW:R

Around the Network

"Second, using the Wii Remote as a pointer for first-person shooters sucks. When playing an FPS with a traditional controller, the majority of the time your aiming stick is at rest – you make minor corrections via minute taps to control where you are looking. Conversely, the Wii Remote requires you to constantly aim at the center of the screen, lest your POV sways around like a drunkard falling off of a barstool. Rotating is performed by moving the cursor towards the edge of the screen, and although Treyarch included a handy button to freeze your view and aim as if you were playing a light gun game, the combination simply isn’t an acceptable solution. It’s clear that Treyarch did the best it could: the button configuration is completely customizable, as are the scrolling speed, dead zone, and numerous other variables for the camera. But after playing with all of them, controlling my character still felt like a struggle – a shame when the original MW controlled so smoothly."

Uhh... This is the part where I refute every thing he says [in the quote]... Because I've actually played the  damn game while he hasn't.

"Conversely, the Wii Remote requires you to constantly aim at the center of the screen, lest your POV sways around like a drunkard falling off of a barstool."

-- This is blatantly false. He apparently has no idea what customization is. Even on the default settings (which is what I left mine on except for some turning speeds and cursor sensitivity) it was incredibly stable. It needs some time to get used to, but it is by far easier to shoot moving targets by actually following their motion with the Wiimote. You can't say that with dual analog.

"Rotating is performed by moving the cursor towards the edge of the screen, and although Treyarch included a handy button to freeze your view and aim as if you were playing a light gun game, the combination simply isn’t an acceptable solution. It’s clear that Treyarch did the best it could: the button configuration is completely customizable, as are the scrolling speed, dead zone, and numerous other variables for the camera. But after playing with all of them, controlling my character still felt like a struggle – a shame when the original MW controlled so smoothly."

-- Okay, this jibberish was simply the guy admitting his inadequecies. Rather than stick with a control scheme and try to get used to it, he seems to have only put five minutes into the whole ordeal. Regardless of whether he gives it a chance or not, if he has the mindset of "I hate this system" he will never have patience to even try to adapt.

Guys like him should not review Wii games. Especially when they don't give it a chance. If I had an adequate camera, I'd take some footage of myself playing and show how his rubbish arguments against the controls are invalid. I wish somebody would, at least.

Now the other parts of the review I don't have a problem with. The graphics are not very good. They're sufficient for me, though, so I don't really care.

The BuShA owns all!

This reviewer simply doesn't have a clue.

SaviorX said:
Wow.
That review was almost as terrible as GamePro's review of The Conduit.

I just don't understand- if you hate the Wii ( which this guy OBVIOUSLY does) why the hell are you reviewing games for it? I would never want to go playing PC games and review them for a living.

He hates the Wiimote itself! He is also offended by the game's presence on the console. Add in the antediluvian screenshots and we have ourselves a troll.

Fuck this.

That's what it is, isn't it? Professional trolling. The only thing separating this guy from the people who get banned from forums all the time is that someone is paying him to do so.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I'm impressed how the reviewer hates using the IR pointer and champions dual sticks, a control scheme I feel completely disconected from the actual action. It seems the reviewer has a lot of difficulty in understanding something different from his expectations. Sadly, this is a rather major disadvantage to write a review and probably something that will cause problems in many aspects of the author life.

Something more interesting is his complaint abou the lack of enough buttons to emulate the original controls. One lesson many designers haven't learned yet from the Wii sucess is the functionality of simpler controls. In this case, the reviewer may have a point, although his view is missguided. There is nothing wrong in the Wii controls. However, the designers missed the opportunity of simplify the commands and make the game more intuitive.

Finally, I suspect the reviewer is right regarding the graphics.

I finally had time to read it and dammit did this guy even play it for more then ten minutes? Man this guy is biased couldn't they get someone who knows how use a wiimote do the review instead?