By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Was it worth going multiplat? Tekken 6

Mendicate Bias said:
code.samurai said:

If Namco wasn't too busy being money hatted by Micro$oft then they would have found the solution that would have made their pockets and everybody happy. Released the game in 2008 for PS3 then ported the game for X360 and released it 2009. They would have gotten all those huge sales numbers from PS3 and also gotten the smidge of sales from X360. The fans would have loved them and they would have profited.

The trouble is, Micro$oft is too smart and too rich for the optimal solution to have been reached. Micro$oft probably paid extra just to delay the PS3 version from being released and also to make it so that both versions were equal. Don't you just love Micro$oft? Always fucking around with their competitor's customers.

Are you serious? The sales for the PS3 version of Street Fighter 4 is 1.44 million and the sales for the 360 version is 1.28 million. They sold approximately the same so stop using bs facts for your arguments. If the PS3 version was finished first and would be superior if released exclusive then why does it have atrocious loading times in comparison to the 360 version? Your arguments are fanboy bs. Namco decided to release it multiplat on their own because it is obvious that the fighter genre is much weaker this gen than last. If you want to be blind and continue ignoring common sense be my guest. That fact that you don't understand that any serious fighter fan would have a arcade stick to use and would never use the standard console controller shows how lost you are.

Pfft, I have SF4 Tournament, HRAP3 and Tekken6 Limited wireless.  Assumption is the mother of all fuckups.  Dude, you must have been drunk when you quoted that, I didn't even mention SF4 in that entry.  Here let me help you.

code.samurai said:
Onyxmeth said:
Have you ever thought that the reason Namco made this decision was because they saw the sales parity of Soulcalibur IV and realized a one console approach with a late port to the other might be a mistake? It would seem to me if Microsoft was going to throw money at Namco they would have done what they did with Namco a dozen other times and get a year of exclusivity on the title. Isn't that what happened with Ace Combat, Katamari, Tales of Vesperia, Eternal Sonata, Culdcept Saga, etc.?

I can't imagine if a year delay and going multiplatform is what caused the fans to up and leave that Tekken ever had any fans at all. I don't expect Final Fantasy XIII to take a gigantic hit in sales because of it. Why? The series has fans. Fans stick around. I know it may come as difficult to believe, but maybe Tekken is just dying out and that's why it's selling like it is.

I never think about SCIV and Tekken comparisons, they're never spot on anyway.  SC has been more of Namco's multiplatform offering.  Anyway as you can see from the 1st week sales of both games, it is clear that fighting games is dying only in X360.  Maybe you've considered that it's because of their controller?  Nah you're right it must be the genre itself.  It's not like SF4, KoF and BlazBlue sold significantly more on PS3 than in X360 right?

Being a PS3 owner, I can honestly say that I tend to view multiplatform games to be of lower quality than exclusive games.  Not because I think PS3 is better but because the developers don't have to make them equal according to some clause that Micro$oft put in their fucking contract. (Pardon the french, I just hate Micro$oft's dirty business practices) With that said, I tend not to buy a game if it's multiplatform.

As for sales in general of this I am certain, if they released Tekken 6 with the game engine they had back in 2008 they would have moved PS3 hardware and would have sold significantly more over the period of time that it took to make the game multiplatform.  I also bet it would have looked way better than the X360 version.  Just look at the opening video for Tekken6:BR (included in the game) the video of the arcade version looks a lot better than the game itself.

Let me explain to you install base and adoption rate.  On 360, the kids love FPS but all other games on the other hand...  On second thought I'll let you figure that one out.  In any case Fighting games are dying on 360 because of its crappy d-pad.  This is well known.  I repeat, THIS IS WELL KNOWN.  If you're too drunk would attempt to argue I'll repeat it again, IT IS A WELL KNOWN ISSUE THAT X360'S CONTROLLERS ARE CRAPPY FOR FIGHTING GAMES.  To top that, Micro$oft has forbidden all 3rd party controller manufacturers from creating wireless controllers for 360.  "Great, exclaimed 360 owners, all that crappy d-pad and no wireless solution.  How the hell am I going to play this on my 56" Plasma TV and this stupid 3rd party wired controller."  Only recently when Namco got the rights to release a wireless fight stick did X360 get a wireless controller that can actually play fighting games.  Just read this 360-fan's post if you don't believe me.

numonex said:
Releasing Tekken 6 a year earlier as a PS3 exclusive would not of helped it at all. Tekken series is becoming stale and gamers have moved on. Tekken has had its day.

I returned Tekken 6 within a day because it was a terribly boring fighting game and it felt like it was Tekken 5. I expected much more from Tekken 6. The controls for this game were impossible to execute using the standard 360 controller. Only an arcade fighting stick could make this game playable. The graphics just looked like a slightly enhanced version of Tekken 5:DR. I did not play it online but the reviews on that are not good.

Dead or Alive 4, Soul Calibur IV, Street Fighter 4 and Virtua Fighter 5 are much better fighter games- IMO. The average reviews for those games are all higher than Tekken 6.

Oh and those games have boobs and leggy babes, tekken has only just a little of both.  Well except for Virtua Fighter, which is always crappy whatever its score.  I wonder how numonex thought he was qualified to compare Tekken 6 and Tekken 5:DR since he never owned T5:BR and HE ONLY GOT T6 FOR A SINGLE DAY!  His story is very unbelievable, at best, and quite bogus at worst.  Plus who the hell would trust a guy with that avatar?  Gah.

So Mendicate Bias, I just love the smell of your drunken posts in the morning.  It just reeks of the stupidity that people can hide when they are sober.  Cheers!

Around the Network
Mendicate Bias said:
code.samurai said:

If Namco wasn't too busy being money hatted by Micro$oft then they would have found the solution that would have made their pockets and everybody happy. Released the game in 2008 for PS3 then ported the game for X360 and released it 2009. They would have gotten all those huge sales numbers from PS3 and also gotten the smidge of sales from X360. The fans would have loved them and they would have profited.

The trouble is, Micro$oft is too smart and too rich for the optimal solution to have been reached. Micro$oft probably paid extra just to delay the PS3 version from being released and also to make it so that both versions were equal. Don't you just love Micro$oft? Always fucking around with their competitor's customers.

Are you serious? The sales for the PS3 version of Street Fighter 4 is 1.44 million and the sales for the 360 version is 1.28 million. They sold approximately the same so stop using bs facts for your arguments. If the PS3 version was finished first and would be superior if released exclusive then why does it have atrocious loading times in comparison to the 360 version? Your arguments are fanboy bs. Namco decided to release it multiplat on their own because it is obvious that the fighter genre is much weaker this gen than last. If you want to be blind and continue ignoring common sense be my guest. That fact that you don't understand that any serious fighter fan would have a arcade stick to use and would never use the standard console controller shows how lost you are.

Because the port was worked on later and the original came earlier????

That time used for porting could have been used for optimizing the ps3 version. Needing a 4GB install just to be comparable to the "LATER PORT" version of the game would pretty much give you the impression the PS3 version was shelved. 

4 ≈ One

Dgc1808 said:
Mendicate Bias said:
code.samurai said:

That time used for porting could have been used for optimizing the ps3 version. Needing a 4GB install just to be comparable to the "LATER PORT" version of the game would pretty much give you the impression the PS3 version was shelved. 

fact

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Zlejedi said:
If they were smart they would release T6 when it was ready as ps3 exclusive and now T6:BR as multiplatform.

Thats just foolish. Who is going to fork out their money for two similar versions of Tekken 6 (one with more content of course)? Tekken fans most likely and the majority of people who bought this are newbs. Go on PSN if you don't believe me. I have yet to fight someone who uses a technical or respectable character. 

Who is a respectable fighter, iyo? The only people I faced online were Alisa, Eddy, Christi, Devil Jin (they mostly use the lasers) and Lili. It bothers me when people use Alisa. They spam with the same moves or fly around in circles and using the chainsaws. She's an awesome spammer and helped me get the survival trophy.

I've fought a Lars once, but he got owned bad. I stopped playing online because of the terrible lag. One thing that is bothering me in Tekken 6 is that my character's ending being unlocked without using them in arena mode. It's killing the replay value. On the bright side, I won't have to face that douchebag Azazel with them. I agree with everything you have said in this thread.

KylieDog said:
Kasersky said:

yes, going multiplatform and more than doubling the market userbase was totally a bad idea.... /sarcams

you guys really need to pull the shades from your eyes because the fanboyism is utterly ridiculous. Tekken 6's sales gap is pretty much single handedly because of japan.

and if you're the that will refuse a game because its NOT exclusive that only makes you look like a complete utter tool because its not about enjoying games at that point its more about being bitter and cynical.

Please don't pull that 'because of Japan' crap.  Will just counter that with 'what about the US?'.

Great bias when 360 in Japan being dominated by PS3 yet for some reason the reverse in the US don't matter?

Weak.

There is no bias for the PS3 in America. If you know Americans, they just wait for the console to get into their price range. We are the least nationalist nation. Japan is when it comes to products, which is why the 360 is pretty much finished over there.

Around the Network
Dgc1808 said:
Mendicate Bias said:
code.samurai said:

Um no. The original would've been released earlier if there was no port. They wouldn't used the port time to optimize the game.

Mirson said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Zlejedi said:
If they were smart they would release T6 when it was ready as ps3 exclusive and now T6:BR as multiplatform.

Thats just foolish. Who is going to fork out their money for two similar versions of Tekken 6 (one with more content of course)? Tekken fans most likely and the majority of people who bought this are newbs. Go on PSN if you don't believe me. I have yet to fight someone who uses a technical or respectable character. 

Who is a respectable fighter, iyo? The only people I faced online were Alisa, Eddy, Christi, Devil Jin (they mostly use the lasers) and Lili. It bothers me when people use Alisa. They spam with the same moves or fly around in circles and using the chainsaws. She's an awesome spammer and helped me get the survival trophy.

I've fought a Lars once, but he got owned bad. I stopped playing online because of the terrible lag. One thing that is bothering me in Tekken 6 is that my character's ending being unlocked without using them in arena mode. It's killing the replay value. On the bright side, I won't have to face that douchebag Azazel with them. I agree with everything you have said in this thread.

PSN right now is flooded with newbs. Just figure them out and take them out. As you said, they will be using Alisa, Devil Jin, Christie, Eddy and other cheap characters. King is cheap as hell in this game. I no longer consider him a technical character. People use the same moves with him. I message some people and ask them why they play so cheaply, and most of them say its because they don't know how to do combos, parries or strafing so they survive off of special moves, trips and throws. Alisa is deathly cheap, I mean come on she flies around and has saws on her hands. LOL

Lars is a good character, he just has to be figured out because he attacks low and does a lot of spinning moves. I don't really get so much lag online because I connect my PS3 though Ethernet chord instead of using the wireless connect. The wireless advantage sounds nice with the P3, but its nothing compared to having the Ethernet chord connected. Whats your PSN account name?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
kingpin785 said:
why are people so quick to call someone a fanboy for stating their opinion?

i couldn't care less if the game was exclusive to playstation or xbox. i just want the best gaming experience possible. i KNOW that tekken 6 could have been a better game if they focused on one system. i'm not saying that it would be a perfect because some of the things they decided to do with it weren't for the best.

i just feel this whole everything needs to go multiplatform and we're going to try and make it the exact same game for both systems isn't always the best move. there have been third party exclusives this gen that have sold really well. i think companies are sooo worried about money that its starting to effect the integrity of the games that we buy.

At the end of the day, i'm a customer. its no different than going out and eating at a resturant. if they bring out your meal and its not cooked right, is it ok for them to say "well we're trying to get this food out as fast as we can to as many people we can. also, the meal you ordered is hard to make, so it may not taste right" HELL NO! you would demand your money back and never eat there again.

i guess my whole point in starting this thread was to point out some of the silly things these companies do. i find it funny that gamers defend their actions sometimes.

You fanboys sicken me. Since when can you expect a superior experience from an arcade port ever? The version of Tekken 6 you would've received even without the 360 version would've still come out the way it did. It's fanboyism that blinds you from understanding this fact. The PS3 version of the game was finished way before the 360 version. How naive are you guys? Namco will never sell out the arcade elitists to give PS3 a superior version of any fighting game they make.

I hate to correct you because I think you're cool, but Namco has released a superior home version of every arcade fighter since Soul Calibur came out on the Dreamcast.  Tis true.  Tis true.  I still scoff at the idea that the 360 version held the PS3 version of Tekken 6 down, though.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

PSN right now is flooded with newbs. Just figure them out and take them out. As you said, they will be using Alisa, Devil Jin, Christie, Eddy and other cheap characters. King is cheap as hell in this game. I no longer consider him a technical character. People use the same moves with him. I message some people and ask them why they play so cheaply, and most of them say its because they don't know how to do combos, parries or strafing so they survive off of special moves, trips and throws. Alisa is deathly cheap, I mean come on she flies around and has saws on her hands. LOL

Lars is a good character, he just has to be figured out because he attacks low and does a lot of spinning moves. I don't really get so much lag online because I connect my PS3 though Ethernet chord instead of using the wireless connect. The wireless advantage sounds nice with the P3, but its nothing compared to having the Ethernet chord connected. Whats your PSN account name?

My PSN is DJChuy

Yeah I use wireless (need it here). I was doing fine for the first few days, but after that, it was a disaster. I heard they're going to add online co-op. Badass if true. Just hope there isn't any lag there.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
kingpin785 said:
why are people so quick to call someone a fanboy for stating their opinion?

i couldn't care less if the game was exclusive to playstation or xbox. i just want the best gaming experience possible. i KNOW that tekken 6 could have been a better game if they focused on one system. i'm not saying that it would be a perfect because some of the things they decided to do with it weren't for the best.

i just feel this whole everything needs to go multiplatform and we're going to try and make it the exact same game for both systems isn't always the best move. there have been third party exclusives this gen that have sold really well. i think companies are sooo worried about money that its starting to effect the integrity of the games that we buy.

At the end of the day, i'm a customer. its no different than going out and eating at a resturant. if they bring out your meal and its not cooked right, is it ok for them to say "well we're trying to get this food out as fast as we can to as many people we can. also, the meal you ordered is hard to make, so it may not taste right" HELL NO! you would demand your money back and never eat there again.

i guess my whole point in starting this thread was to point out some of the silly things these companies do. i find it funny that gamers defend their actions sometimes.

You fanboys sicken me. Since when can you expect a superior experience from an arcade port ever? The version of Tekken 6 you would've received even without the 360 version would've still come out the way it did. It's fanboyism that blinds you from understanding this fact. The PS3 version of the game was finished way before the 360 version. How naive are you guys? Namco will never sell out the arcade elitists to give PS3 a superior version of any fighting game they make.

Ok STAGE,

since i'm a raging fanboy that said he couldn't care less which system it came out on as long as it was a great experience, can you please clear up theses "facts" you speak of.

how do you know it would have been the exact same experience?

so arcade ports of tekken 3,4,5, dr, virtua fighter, street fighter etc weren't superior experiences?

how do you know that the ps3 version wasn't done or close to being done before the 360 version? (even though i never said that it was)

please let me know buddy. my raging fanboyism just won't let me deal with the facts. maybe you can help me with that.

before you answer those questions, i want to make myself clear because you obviously don't understand. t6 took longer than normal to be released. the only assumption one could come up with is that it took longer to be released because it was later announced for a system that it wasn't originally planned to be on. now that the game is released, it has mixed reviews and its not selling that well on the 360. my question to you all was do you think it was worth the extra time and effort. my opinion is no not really. i think its great that 360 owners get to play the game. it just gives me more people to talk about one of my favorite games. on the other hand, no i don't think it was a great idea because the game took forever to come out and IN MY OPINION i think they spent more time making sure both games were equal instead of tweaking the game so it could be the best experience possible.

now i know that was nothing but fanboy jibberish to you but i felt that i needed to say that before you respond.