By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Was it worth going multiplat? Tekken 6

If Namco wasn't too busy being money hatted by Micro$oft then they would have found the solution that would have made their pockets and everybody happy. Released the game in 2008 for PS3 then ported the game for X360 and released it 2009. They would have gotten all those huge sales numbers from PS3 and also gotten the smidge of sales from X360. The fans would have loved them and they would have profited.

The trouble is, Micro$oft is too smart and too rich for the optimal solution to have been reached. Micro$oft probably paid extra just to delay the PS3 version from being released and also to make it so that both versions were equal. Don't you just love Micro$oft? Always fucking around with their competitor's customers.

Around the Network

Dismal sales for a dismal game. Much better fighting games on the market nowadays.

Meh fighting games, The only fighting game I want is a DOA 5. Multiplat or not....I want it.

code.samurai said:

If Namco wasn't too busy being money hatted by Micro$oft then they would have found the solution that would have made their pockets and everybody happy. Released the game in 2008 for PS3 then ported the game for X360 and released it 2009. They would have gotten all those huge sales numbers from PS3 and also gotten the smidge of sales from X360. The fans would have loved them and they would have profited.

The trouble is, Micro$oft is too smart and too rich for the optimal solution to have been reached. Micro$oft probably paid extra just to delay the PS3 version from being released and also to make it so that both versions were equal. Don't you just love Micro$oft? Always fucking around with their competitor's customers.

Have you ever thought that the reason Namco made this decision was because they saw the sales parity of Soulcalibur IV and realized a one console approach with a late port to the other might be a mistake? It would seem to me if Microsoft was going to throw money at Namco they would have done what they did with Namco a dozen other times and get a year of exclusivity on the title. Isn't that what happened with Ace Combat, Katamari, Tales of Vesperia, Eternal Sonata, Culdcept Saga, etc.?

I can't imagine if a year delay and going multiplatform is what caused the fans to up and leave that Tekken ever had any fans at all. I don't expect Final Fantasy XIII to take a gigantic hit in sales because of it. Why? The series has fans. Fans stick around. I know it may come as difficult to believe, but maybe Tekken is just dying out and that's why it's selling like it is.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

S.T.A.G.E. Went there!

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Staude said:
Dgc1808 said:

Should have stayed exclusive.

Would have came earlier and gotten better reviews because of that. I also think it would have sold more as an exclusive.

EDIT: Also like to add that TekkenDR sold over 2Million on the PSP... 

This

Also, the game is awesome. Stop being haters.

@kyliedog yea and added some actual dept to the game. Soul calibur was a huge let down when it came to it's story mode....

It's funny you say this because saying the game should be exclusive is being a hater. Tekken 6 is an arcade game first and foremost and whatever system it goes on gets seconds. The Playstation brand might have had Tekken for a long time exclusively on consoles  but times have changed. Roll with it. This is why I cant wait to destroy every VGChartz PS3 fanboy in here on the PS3. Most of you guys aren't even real fans (not saying you, but most people talking about the game).

The game should have remained a exclusive because of the three following things.

1. More focus.

2. Earlier release

3. Hype.

How am I a hater of the game when all I do is defend it ?

Also I am a real fan. Sure I'm not insanely good at it but I concider tekken 6 the best installment in the series yet, not to mention a fantastic game.

I have all tekken games. I'm the definition of a fan. Even if i'm a casual player.

Check out my game about moles ^

Onyxmeth said:
code.samurai said:

Have you ever thought that the reason Namco made this decision was because they saw the sales parity of Soulcalibur IV and realized a one console approach with a late port to the other might be a mistake? It would seem to me if Microsoft was going to throw money at Namco they would have done what they did with Namco a dozen other times and get a year of exclusivity on the title. Isn't that what happened with Ace Combat, Katamari, Tales of Vesperia, Eternal Sonata, Culdcept Saga, etc.?

I can't imagine if a year delay and going multiplatform is what caused the fans to up and leave that Tekken ever had any fans at all. I don't expect Final Fantasy XIII to take a gigantic hit in sales because of it. Why? The series has fans. Fans stick around. I know it may come as difficult to believe, but maybe Tekken is just dying out and that's why it's selling like it is.

I never think about SCIV and Tekken comparisons, they're never spot on anyway.  SC has been more of Namco's multiplatform offering.  Anyway as you can see from the 1st week sales of both games, it is clear that fighting games is dying only in X360.  Maybe you've considered that it's because of their controller?  Nah you're right it must be the genre itself.  It's not like SF4, KoF and BlazBlue sold significantly more on PS3 than in X360 right?

Being a PS3 owner, I can honestly say that I tend to view multiplatform games to be of lower quality than exclusive games.  Not because I think PS3 is better but because the developers don't have to make them equal according to some clause that Micro$oft put in their fucking contract. (Pardon the french, I just hate Micro$oft's dirty business practices) With that said, I tend not to buy a game if it's multiplatform.

As for sales in general of this I am certain, if they released Tekken 6 with the game engine they had back in 2008 they would have moved PS3 hardware and would have sold significantly more over the period of time that it took to make the game multiplatform.  I also bet it would have looked way better than the X360 version.  Just look at the opening video for Tekken6:BR (included in the game) the video of the arcade version looks a lot better than the game itself.

code.samurai said:

Giving the 360 the left over shit isn't making everyone happy. Everyone from PS3 to 360 is getting the left over shit (graphically) from the Arcade version plus loads of online/offline modes and customizations and more to make up for it. Microsoft never paid Namco for Tekken 6, that was their decision. Microsoft paid Namco for Tales of Vesperia and that came to bite them in the ass didn't it?

Er... i really dont know to be honest, its doing great on PS3 from what the chartz is stating but its sales aren't to nice on 360. :/

Staude said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Staude said:
Dgc1808 said:

Should have stayed exclusive.

Would have came earlier and gotten better reviews because of that. I also think it would have sold more as an exclusive.

EDIT: Also like to add that TekkenDR sold over 2Million on the PSP... 

This

Also, the game is awesome. Stop being haters.

@kyliedog yea and added some actual dept to the game. Soul calibur was a huge let down when it came to it's story mode....

It's funny you say this because saying the game should be exclusive is being a hater. Tekken 6 is an arcade game first and foremost and whatever system it goes on gets seconds. The Playstation brand might have had Tekken for a long time exclusively on consoles  but times have changed. Roll with it. This is why I cant wait to destroy every VGChartz PS3 fanboy in here on the PS3. Most of you guys aren't even real fans (not saying you, but most people talking about the game).

The game should have remained a exclusive because of the three following things.

1. More focus.

2. Earlier release

3. Hype.

How am I a hater of the game when all I do is defend it ?

Also I am a real fan. Sure I'm not insanely good at it but I concider tekken 6 the best installment in the series yet, not to mention a fantastic game.

I have all tekken games. I'm the definition of a fan. Even if i'm a casual player.

Making the game exclusive to the PS3 would've done nothing for the game. It never did anything for the games in the past and it isn't now. It would just mean that it was exclusively on the playstation.....perhaps that would've made you guys happy though. The hype for Tekken is just fine. The thing about Tekken is that it has been selling slowly because of shitty Tekken 4 and has had to resort to legs (which the series definitely has).