By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Embarrassing sales tracking mistake

Chrizum said:
ioi said:

Are you saying I'm being an ass, because I'm sure that's how I just read that?!

I'm not calling you an ass, I'm saying you act like one now.

I'm trying my best to keep this conversation friendly, and your first reply was friendly and mature. But then in all of a sudden I'm close-minded and ignorant. I don't know where that came from but you can keep it for yourself thank you very much.

He wasn't calling you close-minded and ignorant. He was talking about the people who just say these numbers are made up and that these numbers have no credibility on other forums.

Around the Network

NVM i've read the replies.

also bayonetta had sales when it wasn't released as well in top weekly.

0cton said:
Also bayonetta had sales listed before being released (wasn't released yet right?)
You know guys also ps3 is like region free but I doubt many people import anyway

It was released in Japan 2 weeks ago......

@ NanakiXI - are you even for real? Nordlead attitude is questionable, yes, but putting that aside ioi is acting exactly like I would expect for a site owner to react when speaking with another post.
Hell, try to think if you were in his place, spending hours on these chart numbers and them a random member point out a small mistake and opens a big thread telling your numbers are a lie. Because that's what his guesstimates claims actually were. Damn, on ioi's place I would be completely infuriated and have banned Chirzum the moment he started arguing calling ioi an ass and such. According to his own rules he could very well have done it I guess.

@Chrizum: Do yourself a favor and stop talking, all you had to say was you didn't mean to be rude and leave it at that, right now you're acting like a jerk, so quit while you are ahead

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

ioi said:

Many rival websites and fans from those websites don't take VGChartz that seriously, but that is normally because they don't understand the difference between shipped or sold numbers or because they don't actually take the time to do any research themselves. For example, we've had a number of emails from people stating our 7 million day one figure for MW2 is way too high since Activision announced 4.7m - missing the fact that they were talking about NA+UK only. Similar issues with the recent NPD / ChartTrack / Media Create alliance figures that people assume are global when in fact they are only US+UK+Japan.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure what we can really do to prevent this? As you rightly say, it is mostly down to ignorance - almost every since claim made by forum users etc on other sites falls apart as soon as you look at what they are trying to say and realise they are comparing the wrong regions, or wrong time periods or comparing shipped to sold through or whatever.

In terms of the videogame industry (i.e professionals who actually know what they are talking about when it comes to data) we are taken very seriously.

So back to the point I made, I don't see how a basic administrative error would lead people to not take the site seriously and I thought that the general tone of the OP was unnecessary.

I must say, that does really annoy me too. I was reading an article in the newspaper which said MW 2 had sold 4.7m copies, not even stating where they were sold, and so when people see 7m here, they just assume that it is rubbish. {I had a 5 minute rant about this article, in fact, I rant about everything written in newspapers about games because they are so poorly informed and often just plain wrong, they claimed some said that MW 2 was the most violent game ever, certainly something none who are gamers who say, especially given that the amount of gore has decreased from WaW - see I am prone to ranting!} Same with NPD, people come here and see the numbers being off, and so for some reason there is an assumption that NPD are 100% right, and also forget about the rest fo Americas. It will just take a while for people to understand I guess... However, I must say I feel that the information about sales in the general press has been increasing, and some of that is due to VGC, so I certainly hope you keep on improving the site and get some people to understand. Ideally, the companies would all release shipment and estimated sales (they must have some information?) {and budgetting} data, but I doubt that will ever happen

On a side point, do you get the same amount of PC data as you do console data? Is there any reason not to have PC sales other than lack of downloads, or is there less info?

ioi said:
NanakiXI said:

Just because you are owner of this site does not make you a king of all it's users and make you impervious to the same rules you have laid down.

I'm afraid it means exactly that. I'm always very reasonable and listen to people's arguments and criticism but at the end of the day this is my site and what I say goes - no exception. If you are going to be personally rude to me expect to be removed from my site - I think anyone would do the same in the same situation - in fact I'm far more reasonable than most.

I doubt anyone will object if you lay down the law on your own site (unless you start banning people because they have the letters i and o in their nickname :p). Nevertheless, moderators and admins should also be tapped on the wrists for things that regular members are not allowed to do as well. That much is needed for a forum to work properly in that regard.

NanakiXI said:
ioi said:

Ok, ok.

You found a problem on the database. You could have reported the game or sent me a pm about it - instead you decided to create a thread with the title "embarassing mistake" and went on to claim that we were obviously making up numbers. Not exactly the most constructive way to get the problem fixed?

Nordlead replied in a stern but fair way and locked the thread. I came across it, decided that I should explain where the error came from, so reopened it and replied in a fair and neutral way.

You then accused one of my top staff of being rude to you and I went on to explain how you were the rude one and he was simply stating potential sources for the mistake and saying how your OP was unneccesarily iflammatory - which i agree with.

I then go on to explain why I have given up on trying to convince users on other message boards because THEY are generally closed-minded and igorant (this was clearly a reply to what czecherychestnut wrote).

You then call me an ass?

It seems like you have now been hostile on 3 occasions in this thread for no reason and I have done nothing but listen and try to reply to your (and others) concerns - are you trying to get banned?

ioi you are being completly condescending to the op now as oppossed to your first reply. Your staff did try to belittle his words and/or statement and you therefore turned against him because of your little knowlege of him and your greater association with the moderator/admin. Ban him and you might as well ban me and if that happens then the goes me ever visiting the site again. Which is sad since I do enjoy the service that you provide for many people here on this site. Alot worse is said amongst the users on this site to each other and sometimes abuse is takin from users by moderators and nothing is ever done about that. Just because you are owner of this site does not make you a king of all it's users and make you impervious to the same rules you have laid down.

Please let us understand that we are many people and we are all very different from each other. I'm not hippie but war is better saved for a time that a greater power threats to attack. Defense.

Umm so let's say I let a stranger into my house and he starts walking through my house and taking food out of the fridge and sleeping in my bed without asking, does that sound right? Of course not, I'm going to set rules for him, like you have to ask me if you can have something in the fridge or use my bathroom, or sleep in my bed. It's my house and my rules that other people (but me) has to follow.

Also Square-Enix seems to think VG Chartz is a fairly reliable website if there willing to use VG Chartz as a source for some of there numbers.

@ gilgamesh: A cop hired to keep the peace still can't break the law himself though.

interesting. They will probably fix that

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!!