By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Embarrassing sales tracking mistake

^ LOL

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

Around the Network

We don't need you any way ! There are plenty of clouds in the sky !

But I do agree on the mistakes. Since NOBODY ever makes them anymore, ioi should ban himself for a week.

This is a HUGE mistake.

Fox news is making a big deal out of it.

Hell, I'm leaving too !

ioi said:
@czecherychestnut - to be honest I've given up trying to convince people. We have a strong following on the site and in the industry so that is what matters.

The issue here is that we're not a large organisation. We don't charge for data and therefore don't bring in much revenue therefore I cannot really afford to take on large teams of people to crunch data and eliminate every single admin error. For what it's worth, NPD data has often contained similar errors where they have games listed for the wrong console or mixed two games up or whatever.

The largest workload in assembling the data each week is matching game names. What I mean by that is one set of data might have "Dragon Age" one might have "Dragon Age: Origins" another "Dragon Age Origins" and so on. Each of these needs to be obviously consolidated into one entry on our database so the different sources of raw data can be added and extrapolated. This can only by done manually (if we want it to be free from error) and so it takes time for someone to go through and match up all these different spellings of names. Sometimes this introduces human errors as well such as the wrong version of a game for the wrong console being matched up.

This is a growing thing - VGChartz is about 50% bigger than it was 12 months ago and continues to grow at the same rate. With preorder data, more elegant databases, more automated tracking techniques and more people helping out then the data is improving but these things do happen, no matter how big, careful or professional you try to be.

Since the data is offered here for free, people should understand that it will be more "rough and ready" and should expect administrative mistakes as well as actual tracking errors from time to time, especially when we are dealing with the volumes of data we are here.

For anybody too ignorant or closed-minded to appreciate that, I think they are already a lost cause and not really worth our time trying to argue with.

I apologize if I came across as rude, as it was not my intention. I only meant to say that errors like these (which I understand may happen from time to time) can be reasons for people to assume this site sometimes guesstimates numbers. I don't mean to say that I think you guesstimate all the sales on this site.

This is the last thing I'm going to say on the matter. Calling me rude is one thing, but at least try listening to people without being an ass about it.

ioi said:

Are you saying I'm being an ass, because I'm sure that's how I just read that?!

I'm not calling you an ass, I'm saying you act like one now.

I'm trying my best to keep this conversation friendly, and your first reply was friendly and mature. But then in all of a sudden I'm close-minded and ignorant. I don't know where that came from but you can keep it for yourself thank you very much.

This looks like a classic communication issue using email/messages.
Remember guys, you should tolerate more in written conversation like this than in real life.
Misunderstandings happen much more often as body language and the way the words are spoken are lost in writing.
There are also cultural differences.

Around the Network

That said, I agree that this issue could have been reported in a more 'civil' way.
But come on, let us all be friends :)

No! It is not a mistake. VGChartz does not make mistakes!!!

If VGC says the game released, it released. IF VGC says they sold x copies, they did. I don't care what anyone has to say, VGC is the most reliable sales tracking site on the internet!

ioi said:

Ok, ok.

You found a problem on the database. You could have reported the game or sent me a pm about it - instead you decided to create a thread with the title "embarassing mistake" and went on to claim that we were obviously making up numbers. Not exactly the most constructive way to get the problem fixed?

Nordlead replied in a stern but fair way and locked the thread. I came across it, decided that I should explain where the error came from, so reopened it and replied in a fair and neutral way.

You then accused one of my top staff of being rude to you and I went on to explain how you were the rude one and he was simply stating potential sources for the mistake and saying how your OP was unneccesarily iflammatory - which i agree with.

I then go on to explain why I have given up on trying to convince users on other message boards because THEY are generally closed-minded and igorant (this was clearly a reply to what czecherychestnut wrote).

You then call me an ass?

It seems like you have now been hostile on 3 occasions in this thread for no reason and I have done nothing but listen and try to reply to your (and others) concerns - are you trying to get banned?

ioi you are being completly condescending to the op now as oppossed to your first reply. Your staff did try to belittle his words and/or statement and you therefore turned against him because of your little knowlege of him and your greater association with the moderator/admin. Ban him and you might as well ban me and if that happens then the goes me ever visiting the site again. Which is sad since I do enjoy the service that you provide for many people here on this site. Alot worse is said amongst the users on this site to each other and sometimes abuse is takin from users by moderators and nothing is ever done about that. Just because you are owner of this site does not make you a king of all it's users and make you impervious to the same rules you have laid down.

Please let us understand that we are many people and we are all very different from each other. I'm not hippie but war is better saved for a time that a greater power threats to attack. Defense.

FootballFan - "GT has never been bigger than Halo. Now do a comparison between the two attach ratios and watch GT get stomped by Halo. Reach will sell 5 million more than GT5. Quote me on it."

Op might have needed to word his own thread differently, but nordlead's reply is something I've seen mods act against. Calling people an idiot is bannable for the majority of the members here, so it's weird that usually mods and admins seem to get away with such moves a tad more often.

Everyone needs to be judged according to the same rules, as NanakiXL said, and that's often lacking here.

Guessing isnt news.

lol. Want offical euro numbers, pls.