By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Embarrassing sales tracking mistake

ioi said:

"just pointing out that things like this need improving if we want that people take this site seriously."

Says who? People do take the site seriously and I don't see how an administrative error in one piece of data out of the 6000 uploaded this week would lead people to not take the site seriously.

Ehhhhhh... a lot of people don't take vgchartz seriously, at all. Personally, however, I find that vgchartz offers a service no other site does, and does it with surprising accuracy, so I think those people are just a little ignorant.

Currently playing: Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, NBA2k11, Metal Gear Solid, Picross 3d

Around the Network

Okay this is weird. I just want to point out that the game is released on 6 November here aswell (PS3 version) and then I read ioi's post =p.

The OP wasn't meant to be rude. It may sound rude if you take it personally (don't!).

Fact is that many people do not take this site seriously (while I obviously do), and tracking errors like this do happen, like the Tiger Woods for DS game that didn't exist.

Anyhow, errors apart, Others includes EU, rest of Europe, Africa, Oceania and Asia excluding Japan, so quite a vast territory.

Does it include Central and South America too?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

ioi said:
Tiger Woods was again an administrative error - these things do happen when you are tracking so many SKUs.

It was rude since you immediately pointed the finger and suggested that numbers were just being made up or whatever

ioi, as someone who partakes in many different tech based forums and blogs, some of which are not sales related or even directly console related, just general tech, I have to say that this site has a credibility issue in the wider tech community. Even fairly level headed sites like Ars, if you ever bring up VGC as a source for sales data you get smacked down hard, with the usual accusations that you'd know of, ie 'VGC just guesses numbers' or 'VGC just plaguarise the other tracking sites'. Is it fair? God no. Its brutally unfair because what you do on this site is awesome. But as someone who regularly has to defend VGC, its tiring. On the other hand, whether you should care or not about what others think is up to you. As you've said, if the professional community take your work seriously then thats great, and who really cares what the blogosphere thinks. But within that sphere, which I'd hazard a guess overlap a similar demographic to VGC readers and people from which you generate revenue from, these little mistakes affect how seriously you are treated a lot.

Because everyone of these little 'administrative errors'  put cracks in the veneer of creditability this site deserves. The doubters use these to discredit VGC, and convince people who don't know the site that the numbers are fake. Hence why we have the situation now that the general online tech consensus is that VGC is merely a guestimate and not a real tracking site. Us VGC'ers know thats a load of crap, but we're a small community by online standards.

All I'm trying to say I guess is that Chrizum is doing you a favour, and as you've recognised, you need to get more people helping you with this massive task you're taking on to track and crunch the numbers each week and cut down on the errors.

Around the Network
ioi said:

Actually those are the PC sales - I completely misread the console in the data and assumed it was the PS3 version.

Thanks for pointing that one out. More haste, less speed they say. And yes this is fairly embarassing and maybe shows we need more people checking over the data before it is posted. Same with the mysterious changing of last weeks PS3 sales in Japan to PS2. We're only human and do a lot of this by hand (i.e in Excel) so these mistakes happen unfortunately

HA !

More evidence of the new VGC feature. When do we get the full PC weekly charts ?

shams said:
Yeah, its definitely out in Australia already - my mate has been playing it...

When I went to JB Hi-Fi to get the game I asked for any platform and the guy said they only had Xbox 360 and PC and that the PS3 version had been delayed with no news on when it was coming...

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

How on earth could you possibly make a mistake!? I'm never coming here again. I mean seriously, a mistake? WTF dude!

Edouble24 said:
How on earth could you possibly make a mistake!? I'm never coming here again. I mean seriously, a mistake? WTF dude!

^ Permban him!