By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - IGN review New Super Mario Bros. Wii

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Does anyone actually care that NSMBWii doesn't have online? I'm genuinely wondering, here.

I do.  Online is the reason I still play LittleBigPlanet a year after release.

If MKWii can have near lagless online, adding it to NSMBWii shouldn't have been a problem.

Around the Network

Game would easily be a 9.5 with online multiplayer and some more features. It deserves in the 8.5-9.0 range without them.

Seriously guys, a 2d Mario game with no next gen features and a sloppy multiplayer implementation getting a 8.9 means that the rest of the game must be absolutely amazing. Think of it that way. I am, and I cant wait.

Soap_McTavish said:
Game would easily be a 9.5 with online multiplayer and some more features. It deserves in the 8.5-9.0 range without them.

Seriously guys, a 2d Mario game with no next gen features and a sloppy multiplayer implementation getting a 8.9 means that the rest of the game must be absolutely amazing. Think of it that way. I am, and I cant wait.

I have done my level best - my super duper best, to be honest with you - to not enter into this discussion on the point of rating a game based on what it isn't vs. rating it based on what it is, a practice which stops just short of setting my brain on fire. But for this? For this I will make an exception.

Tell me:

How do you equate a lack of online multiplayer with "sloppy multiplyer implementation"?

I really, really like New Super Mario Bros. Wii. I have no qualms with saying this is a far better game than the Nintendo DS version, and it could easily be the finest Super Mario Bros. 2D platformer Nintendo's ever created. You should absolutely get a copy, no question.
Sounds like a 10 out of 10 to me. No point in reading the rest. Awesome!

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

Im going to preorder it today. I really don't care about the reviews. Its Mario guys!!, for the love of God!!

MY ZELDA COLLECTION
Around the Network
--OkeyDokey-- said:
burgerstein said:
--OkeyDokey-- said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
Does anyone actually care that NSMBWii doesn't have online? I'm genuinely wondering, here.

I have the game, and I do. I don't think I'll ever find 3 other people to play this with locally and LBP has proven that online would work in a platformer.

8.9-9.2 sounds about right for me so far. I expected higher than that from IGN considering the scores they've given other Wii exclusives.

Bolded is a load of crap. The two games play completely differently.

And your point is...?

The point is that it's a load of crap, of course. They may both be platformers, but they have very different mechanichs and design, so your point makes no sense and is actually, according not just to the oppion of a lot of people here but to Miyamoto's own statements, a load of crap :P

EDIT: Sorry, the page hadn't fully loaded for some reason, didin't see the plethora of answers it had already.

Khuutra said:
Soap_McTavish said:

I have done my level best - my super duper best, to be honest with you - to not enter into this discussion on the point of rating a game based on what it isn't vs. rating it based on what it is, a practice which stops just short of setting my brain on fire. But for this? For this I will make an exception.

Tell me:

How do you equate a lack of online multiplayer with "sloppy multiplyer implementation"?

No. you're wrong. It has multiplayer, and its not a very good implementation of it.

It's 2009, soon to be 2010. No online multiplayer simply is not acceptable.

Of course you rate a game on what it is. Its a multiplayer focused mario player that does not have online features. Considering the amount of games on the platform that do have online multiplayer, it is simply unacceptbale.

Nintendo obviously is focusing their efforts somewhere else, its certainly not New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

That being said, I preordered and paid in full today and I cannot wait, don't take it the wrong way.

To sum it up:

Game is multiplayer focused
System has online capabilities

Any sane person adds those 2 together to add online features. This is not a nintendo 64. This is a current generation console and we are all about online gaming. Look at Mario Kart Wii.

EVEN THE DS HAS ONLINE MULTIPLAYER.

Part of critiquing a game is also including its short comings. You cannot just ignore online multiplayer as a letdown just because it doesn't have it. It's a MASSIVE let down, that almost breaks the game. If it wasn't so amazing otherwise, it wouldn't even be worth a purchase.

Soap_McTavish sad:
No. you're wrong. It has multiplayer, and its not a very good implementation of it.
I.... I didn't make a statement. I asked you a question. How in the nine hells can I be wrong if all I did was as you to explain your position?
Actually, yes, it's perfectly acceptable for many, many people! As a game that's meant to be played with gamers and non-gamers alike, it actually makes better sense for this game to be played in local multiplayer. It's perfectly acceptable! Hell, I'm accepting it right now!

"Unacceptable"...
Of course you rate a game on what it is. Its a multiplayer focused mario player that does not have online features. Considering the amount of games on the platform that do have online multiplayer, it is simply unacceptbale.
The only case in which it is unacceptable is one in which there was an expectation that there would be or that there should be online multiplayer. We knew from the beginning that there was not going to be, and I have yet to hear a decent argument that there should be. By syaing that it is worse for having local-only MP, you are rating the game according to what it should be, not according to what it is. Do you see the problem?
Nintendo obviously is focusing their efforts somewhere else, its certainly not New Super Mario Bros. Wii.
This is a ridiculous thing to sya. It's been acknowledged as being excellent to play alone, excellent to play with friends, featuring enough content and powers and fun levels to qualify as the best 2-D Mario based on its merits. That speaks not only of effort but of artistry, the kind that really defines a game as an example of quality. You are latching onto a single facet of what this game is not and allowing that to affect the way you view the entire rest of the game, which is fallacious to the point of absurdity.
That being said, I preordered and paid in full today and I cannot wait, don't take it the wrong way.

To sum it up:

Game is multiplayer focused
System has online capabilities

Any sane person adds those 2 together to add online features. This is not a nintendo 64. This is a current generation console and we are all about online gaming. Look at Mario Kart Wii.

EVEN THE DS HAS ONLINE MULTIPLAYER.
The DS has online multiplayer when it's appropriate and when the system can handle it. In this cas and given the focus of this game, online multiplayer is neither necessary nor appropriate, and its exclusion is not detrimental to the experience of the game itself.

I bet the game would score in the 9s if it actually had NO multiplayer at all :P

I mean, I'm sure (almost) everyone will have more fun with what they claim to be possibly the best 2D Mario game than with something like Madworld.

Meh. Halo 2 did split screen online or (split screen campaign) back in 2004, yet FPS nowadays (including Call of Duty) omit the feature. I'd like to say this is "simply not acceptable," as well.

Basically, the Call of Duty series has sloppy multiplayer implementation, as well!