By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Modern Warfe 2 Graphics. Give it a rest. It's awesome.

Sweep said:

IMHO : This game doesn't deserve the praise.

Technicaly, KZ2 is beyond of it :

KZ2 is 720p, MW2 is not,

KZ2 has better AI, better lightning, better textures, better storyline and better online, yes BETTER online with dedicated servers

and 16x16 games) .

After playing uncharted 2, MW2 has nice graphics but nothing spectacular, and doesn't deserve a 10 (if so, uncharted 2 deserves a 15/10...).

No your right MW2 isn't 720p, it's 1080p.  And i think you are being alitle harsh saying it doesn't deserve the praise.  While the game has been over hyped, it really is a fantastic game.  Graphics wise i think it is right up there with MGS4 and KZ2.  I still think Uncharted 2 looks better though, MW2 lacks texture detail and draw distances, but at the same time it does have ALOT going on, onscreen at any given time and framrates stay rock solid for the most part.  I think the game really starts to look better in some of the later mission and the night missions.

Around the Network
selnor said:

So many people complaining about what reviewers have said about MW2's graphics. IGN rated it higher than KZ2, and GameTrailers have come out saying only Uncharted 2 matches it or betters it. Is it so hard to believe? I dont think so. I was blown away by it last night. It's easily an exceptionally good game graphically. The first mission is reminicent of KZ2's. Bridge, fighting with buildings in the distance. But there is much more going on in MW2. The grenade explosions are awesome. And the atmosphere is spot on.

To be fair that's not what GameTrailers said:

"When COD4 came out it set the bar for what multiplatform games could look and sound like. MW2 uses the same engine and while it looks absolutely stunning the "wow factor" has been quelled a bit.

That said there are scenes in the game that make the most of the engine's capabilities. The amount of detail in each level is only matched by Uncharted 2 with village markets so littered with minutia that people walking by will do a double take and grenade physics that will make a smile come across your face. The lighting engine will literally make your jaw drop in many points. If you get up and personal, some of the shadows suffer from pixelization.

There are a few wrinkles here and there but it manages to retain its crown as the best-looking game to be released for more than one console."

While absolutely positive, it's a far cry from your "quotation", and keeping misquoting sources doesn't lend you much credit.

My take, as someone who still hasn't played it, but could only watch HD videos of the gameplay? It looks very good, quite better than the first. It seems to be strong on fast, busy, mass action set pieces and looks great in them as an ensemble. When it comes to the animations, finer points of lighting and materials it is technically not up to par with KZ2, but that's not what it aims for, clearly.

Besides that, there's the choice of a down-to-earth, realistic style and your personal tastes will mean a lot when comparing to such distinct art styles as KZ2's or Uncharted's ones.

@eggs2see

COD4:MW was rendered sub-720p to hold up the 60fps. Upscaling to 1080p is not the same, and I very much doubt that it has changed in MW2.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

selnor said:

Here is the airport bit if you havent seen it. The use of smoke is amazing. Cant wait to see it on my TV.

Smoke effects in what you showed there don't compare to Killzone 2.  Sorry.  You need to stop with using games as fanboy ammo on why your console is better than another one.  And that level is VERY disturbing.  Besides that, I feel like I saw a spoiler there.  Why not label it a spoiler.  It IS a spoiler.

MW2 don't have better graphics than KZ2.

first Oscar material and now HD movies, yeah, right.

Lighting also impressed me in the first one

the words above were backed by NUCLEAR WEAPONS!

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:
selnor said:

Here is the airport bit if you havent seen it. The use of smoke is amazing. Cant wait to see it on my TV.

Smoke effects in what you showed there don't compare to Killzone 2.  Sorry.  You need to stop with using games as fanboy ammo on why your console is better than another one.  And that level is VERY disturbing.  Besides that, I feel like I saw a spoiler there.  Why not label it a spoiler.  It IS a spoiler.

Are you kidding? I dont get Sony fans sometimes. Many of you are great to talk to, and reasonable. But some will turn even a 3rd party game into a console war. I agree with the media it is stunning. And the best looking FPS to come out. IMO the smoke effects look better. And I'm not the only one. Shouldnt PS3 fans also be praising the game? No Naughty Dog didnt make it, nor did GG. Doesnt mean it cant look better. You do realise it's on PS3 to right?

eggs2see said:
Sweep said:

KZ2 is 720p, MW2 is not,

KZ2 has better AI, better lightning, better textures, better storyline and better online, yes BETTER online with dedicated servers

and 16x16 games) .

After playing uncharted 2, MW2 has nice graphics but nothing spectacular, and doesn't deserve a 10 (if so, uncharted 2 deserves a 15/10...).

No your right MW2 isn't 720p, it's 1080p.  And i think you are being alitle harsh saying it doesn't deserve the praise.  While the game has been over hyped, it really is a fantastic game.  Graphics wise i think it is right up there with MGS4 and KZ2.  I still think Uncharted 2 looks better though, MW2 lacks texture detail and draw distances, but at the same time it does have ALOT going on, onscreen at any given time and framrates stay rock solid for the most part.  I think the game really starts to look better in some of the later mission and the night missions.

um no it isnt 1080p. the 360 upscales it. It's native 600p.

kowenicki said:
it isnt 1080p

and it doesnt need to be...

the set piece in the area with the burger bar etc is awesome!

This. Many games with high AA or high res often have detail losses and less happening on screen. I know alot of games I prefer graphically over the 720p 4 xaa games.

Doesn't look any more chaotic than CoD4... no need to even compare it to just how chaotic some KZ2 online matches can get.

4 ≈ One

sully1311 said:
eggs2see said:
Sweep said:

KZ2 is 720p, MW2 is not,

and 16x16 games) .

um no it isnt 1080p. the 360 upscales it. It's native 600p.

@sully If you're going to make a point to point comparison try being exhaustive. Otherwise it's pointless. Oh, and omitting something as important as framerate just goes to say how fanboyish your comparison is.

God i hate fanboys, almost as much as they hate facts

“If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” Antoine de St-Exupery

+2Q  -2N  (to be read in french)