By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Whoa, did the numbers just change a bunch?

The number on this site includes 4 weeks of sales that are included in the reports...

REMEMBER that, the number HAVE NOT been adjusted to reflect the numbers exactly from the quarterly summaries from each company.

Around the Network

At some point ioi has to decide whether he wants to vehemently defend his sales on the site and stand by them or if he's going to blow with the breeze and put up any number that the companies say they've sold during each quarter.

An explanation as to why he was magically off on the Wii by 5-6 times more than he was off on the PS3/360 would be nice. I'd love to hear this explanation.

Completed XBLA: 16 / 32
Completed Retail: 17 / 64
GS Completion %: 82.63%

also ds increased its margin from psp

erikers its likely a fairly uniform percentage based error. so if x sells more than y the actual number of units x is off will be greater than the number of units y is off

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Wait wait wait.. why are people so angry about it? Fact: Wii is outselling the competition followed by XBox and the PS3. Nothing's changed.. you act like if he gave the PS3 an extra 800k units they'd suddenly be up there with the Wii lol. Please.

Around the Network
TheSource said:
erikers its likely a fairly uniform percentage based error. so if x sells more than y the actual number of units x is off will be greater than the number of units y is off

Maybe, I'd still like to hear why Pal regions are/never have been tracked accurately by him.  You will remember all the times he decreased 360's numbers, perhaps by as much as 1 million at the beginning of the year.  Perhaps he should ask nintendo how they get their information since they got their numbers from somewhere ;)

Anyways, it's pretty hard to be off by 700k in one region in a 3 month period.  

I think a million unit shift is far too excessive if that is the case. The reality is this sites numbers are relatively close to other reputable sources. The numbers are adjusted periodically to be in linene with these sources. I think these reports should be given a few days for analysis. Before any snap judgments should be made. I think in the end retracting sales hurts credibility far more then under counting a console.

I am not sure how Nintendo is accounting for sales. Honestly I haven't actually been able to log into this site most of the day. Chances are I will not even get this to post before error 404 gives me the shaft again. However I will say this do not assume the Wii is sold out. I can get in my car right now, and go to a dozen shops that have it in stock. Yes Ohio seems to have plenty of Wiis to spare. I am sorry guys in New Jersey or in Philadelphia, but thats the way it is.

I think if a number can be revised by a million at the drop of a hat. Then the number was pretty worthless to begin with, and can never be worth anything ever again.

DKII put what i was about to put...

first....souixan....Sony changed their financial statements from "shipped" to "sold", there is no mention of consumers....they meant that they now give sold to retail instead of just shipped around the world....Nintendo and Microsoft both use the term sold meaning to retail (thoug they use the word shipped to mean to retail as well) also they wouldn't be allowed to put consumer figures in the statement because they have to be accurate, and there are no accurate consumer sales numbers.

As for Wii shipments versus sales.....the numbers on the front page now are about 300k above the shipment number, but they are also 3 weeks later. Using the weekly data there have been nearly 750k Wii sales in the last 3 weeks, so the date when the financials count till the Wii consumer sales were well below the shipment/retail sales....about 450k, which is a good amount for WW retail stock (there was a similar inventory ...about 400-500k... 6 months ago)

Wii shipments as of 30th September --- 13.17 million
Wii sales as of 1st October (VGC) --- 12.74 million
so that 430k of unsold Wiis

erikers said:
TheSource said:

Maybe, I'd still like to hear why Pal regions are/never have been tracked accurately by him. You will remember all the times he decreased 360's numbers, perhaps by as much as 1 million at the beginning of the year. Perhaps he should ask nintendo how they get their information since they got their numbers from somewhere ;)

Anyways, it's pretty hard to be off by 700k in one region in a 3 month period.

PAL is apparently extremely hard to track, its very split up with very few people tracking. I expect that it has by far the largest margin of error for overall sales as there is nothing to correct it against.

TWRoO said:
DKII put what i was about to put...

first....souixan....Sony changed their financial statements from "shipped" to "sold", there is no mention of consumers....they meant that they now give sold to retail instead of just shipped around the world....Nintendo and Microsoft both use the term sold meaning to retail (thoug they use the word shipped to mean to retail as well) also they wouldn't be allowed to put consumer figures in the statement because they have to be accurate, and there are no accurate consumer sales numbers.

As for Wii shipments versus sales.....the numbers on the front page now are about 300k above the shipment number, but they are also 3 weeks later. Using the weekly data there have been nearly 750k Wii sales in the last 3 weeks, so the date when the financials count till the Wii consumer sales were well below the shipment/retail sales....about 450k, which is a good amount for WW retail stock (there was a similar inventory ...about 400-500k... 6 months ago)

Wii shipments as of 30th September --- 13.17 million
Wii sales as of 1st October (VGC) --- 12.74 million
so that 430k of unsold Wiis

So you think there's only 430k unsold wii's in the world at that time do you? You realize it's not sold out in japan anymore right? Do you really think there's wii's in tons of stores in japan but that number on shelves is less than 430k? Combined with whatever small amount of units exist in the US and the Wii is not sold out in every single country it's in.

Let's say there's 230k to cover Japan. Do you think in every store in the rest of the world there's only 200k units in store shelves that haven't been bought?

Plus the numbers you posted at the bottom are his newly "altered" numbers.  The truth is the Wii was at about 12.74 TODAY before he moved the numbers up 700k.