By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Whoa, did the numbers just change a bunch?

I do agree it looks high though. But I also admit I don't have ANY sources for selling or anything, so i'd have about as much of a guess as to if it were right or not as I would guessing how many Jelly Beans are in a Jar at a Highschool Halloween dance in Nebraska.

I'm going to go with 284 Jelly Beans.

Around the Network
souixan said:
TWRoO said:
DKII put what i was about to put...

first....souixan....Sony changed their financial statements from "shipped" to "sold", there is no mention of consumers....they meant that they now give sold to retail instead of just shipped around the world....Nintendo and Microsoft both use the term sold meaning to retail (thoug they use the word shipped to mean to retail as well) also they wouldn't be allowed to put consumer figures in the statement because they have to be accurate, and there are no accurate consumer sales numbers.

As for Wii shipments versus sales.....the numbers on the front page now are about 300k above the shipment number, but they are also 3 weeks later. Using the weekly data there have been nearly 750k Wii sales in the last 3 weeks, so the date when the financials count till the Wii consumer sales were well below the shipment/retail sales....about 450k, which is a good amount for WW retail stock (there was a similar inventory ...about 400-500k... 6 months ago)

Wii shipments as of 30th September --- 13.17 million
Wii sales as of 1st October (VGC) --- 12.74 million
so that 430k of unsold Wiis

Actually I recall sony as reporting "shipped to retail" so it'd be the same thing no change.

I don't get why accurate numbers are really all that difficult, with computers these days, they can easily review how many of a specific UPC had been sold per item, easily report it to the stores main facility and EASILY report that to the manufacturer. It's not tough but I don't think they do that. I mean how can you tell me it's impossible to keep track of 13,000,000 systems when they can keep track of billions of people with a very small margin of error, I don't buy it for a second.

Regardless of the fact, Wii has systematically outsold PS3 and 360 worldwide even if 360 had a boost from the Halo 3 weeks it still got beaten world wide to my knowledge. Is it that big a difference, who can say for sure but I don't think of it as even close to impossible in fact my guess would put the difference of the Wii and 360 at a slightly bigger number.

Actually Sony's "Shipped" numbers were shipped to Warehouses.  Their Warehouses.  So they're" Shipped numbers were basically produced numbers.

Was Others ahead of Japan in Wii sales before the changes to the numbers? I remember wondering how Japan was still so much ahead not long ago, but now Others leads by a great margin.

Holy crap, the DS is doing almost 200k weekly in Europe. O_o

No, no, it doesn't make sense!

So basically... you're even more awesome than we originally thought? \o/

Btw thanks for having the old numbers in your sig. Makes things a lot clearer.

(edit: wait... France had 50% as many PS2s as the UK, 33% as many 360s, but suddenly almost as many Wiis? I find this sudden increase a bit suspicious. How strong are your sources?)

Around the Network

Hmm there are some problems with this site :s; I am whole alone on this site *snif*.

Users online: 0 (0 Members, 0 Guests)

so uh, Wii passes GC in others already? Not only that but it's gonna pass GC in japan pretty soon too.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

ioi does a great job putting this stuff together, guys.

He doesn't have absolute access to all necessary information and still is able to track fairly accurately to what is sold to customers.

Remember NO ONE not even NPD or Media Create perfectly track sold to customers numbers. We just take their word for it.

I'd love one day actual sales to customers numbers be made public and these bloated clandestine numbers trackers get marginalized. This stuff should be public knowledge.

ioi provides this service for free and stays on top of this thing very well. He may be off from time to time but he will correct himself with the proper info. It's not a perfect process but he does a damn good job with it I must say so myself. I trust VGChartz numbers and give ioi the benefit of the doubt.

I myself felt that Wii was a little undertracked lately but I knew ioi would correct it out as info became available.

He's reduced numbers as well when he found himself in error.

Europe and the PAL territories are the hardest to track and I believe this is where most of the error comes from.

I had a feeling he was adjusting numbers when the site was down and doggone I was shocked to see the new numbers once the site came back up!

Japan has been low because they have been preparing for SMG and Wii Fit launches. It's gonna explode VERY soon. Looks like Nintendo wants some more store line frenzy to get the buzz jumping. They will unleash an assload of systems and all that Nintendo doom and gloom will be quickly forgotten.

360 is very strong and at least PS3 broke 5 million now. There's SOME hope left.

The numbers look pretty good to me. 

John Lucas 

Words from the Official VGChartz Idiot

WE ARE THE NATION...OF DOMINATION!

thanks for the hard work ioi. It's not a perfect process, but I trust your numbers.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

johnlucas said:

He's reduced numbers as well when he found himself in error.

QFT, John

One of the reasons I got involved in the site was because I was maintaing a spreadsheet on NPD numbers but they weren't detailed enoug...so I switched to VGChartz data instead. As such I am fairly well aware of any changes he makes to the database and I can say that he has made several adjustments up and down for all of the consoles and without a doubt the Wii being adjusted up garners the most attention...but thats no surprise, as well it shouldn't be.

And at the end of the day I can't think of a single major hardware adjustment that wasn't accompanied by some sort of hard data to support the change. Understand that I have no desire to track a bunch of bogus data in a spreadsheet and as such when I joined the site I was extremely suspicious of how the data was tracked. Here it is several months later and I don't think I have ever had an unkind word to speak of about the way the tracking is done. Perhaps occasionally I think to myself "it would be nice if that data would get here a bit sooner", but then I remember that I don't pay ioi and he owes the members of this site nothing..if anything it would be the other way around.

To Each Man, Responsibility