By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Prediction: The PS3 will have 50 million sellers (games) by the end of 2009

I made this prediction back in January (It had 24 million sellers then, so 2 years and 2 months to sell 24) and I wanted to make a thread about it to see how well I'm gonna do. Currently the PS3 has 48 million sellers, so thats 24 games in 11 months, and I need 2 more within the two weeks.

Games already released but will pass 1 million before 2010

Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe

^Am I missing any?

So that's 1 more game which would make it 49. Now there could be adjustments on some games and you never know other games might start selling really well durring the holidays.

I'll update this thread from time to time

Edit: November 19th, Huge PS3 updates now 43 games over a million, prediction looking much better now

Edit2: December 6 OP updated, With the latest numbers in we got 2 more million sellers, so that leaves 5 more to go. Just going over some of the games and I think it'll hit 50 right on at the end of the year.

Edit3: December 24th update, there are two more weeks of sales data left and I'm 2 games away, Mortal Kombat vs DC should hit a million making it 49 million sellers, but I noticed a couple games were not adjusted over the past couple weeks so it could very well hit 50 million sellers.

Edit4: January 14th update, I'm taking this as a success since there are a couple games lacking sales for some regions which would make the game over a million.

Around the Network

i think such a thread was made sometime ago..

God of War collection?

I strongly doubt it will have even one 50 million seller.

socom might do it, dunno if it sells still.

Around the Network

I think Dragon Age: Origins has a fair shot at the million before 2009 is up. Fallout 3 reached 1 million in the west in 10 weeks when it was released in late october 2008, when the PS3 userbase was at 15.7 million consoles.

Ooohhh looks like your gonna fall short by just a few. Pretty good prediction though.

badgenome said:
I strongly doubt it will have even one 50 million seller.

What? I doubt that as well but it's not what I said?

Yeh, I wish you said 50 one million sellers in the title instead. I was expected a crazy thread about GT5 or FF13 selling 50 million copies.

And Singstar Michael Jackson is not coming out this year, or ever, right?

Gilgamesh said:

I made this prediction back in January (It had 24 million sellers then) and I wanted to make a thread about it to see how well I'm gonna do. Currently the PS3 has 38 million sellers, so thats 14 games in 10 months, and I need 12 more within the next 2 months. Luckily it's be biggest 2 months of the year for gaming. So here's the future games that I believe will sell a million before the end of the year.

Future 2009 Games

Pro Soccer Evolution 2010

Ratchet & Clank No

Modern Warfare 2

Singstar Michael Jackson No

Assassins Creed II

FFXIII

Games already released but will pass 1 million before 2009

Infamous

Madden NFL 2010

Need For Speed Shift

^Am I missing any?

So that's 9 more games which would make it 47. Now there could be adjustments on some games and you never know other games might star selling really well durring the holidays.

I'll update this thread again round the beginning of December.

WWE Smackdown vs Raw opened with 125k, so that has a low chance

Here are the games over 900k:

39 Midnight Club: Los Angeles Rockstar Games 0.04 0.52 0.40 0.96
40 Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe Midway Games 0.00 0.72 0.24 0.96
41 inFamous Sony Computer Entertainment 0.00 0.55 0.40 0.95
42 Madden NFL 08 Electronic Arts 0.00 0.91 0.02 0.93
43 Tomb Raider: Underworld Eidos Interactive 0.05 0.35 0.53 0.93
44 Madden NFL 10 EA Sports 0.00 0.88 0.04 0.92
45 Fight Night Round 3 EA Sports 0.01 0.78 0.13 0.92

Midnight club LA, Madden 10 and inFamous will, the rest are out of the top 50 PS3 games, but MK mightas well. I am not sure about the rest

As for games coming soon, Dragon Age: Origins has a chance (70k preorders in the USA), but I don't think anything else will, so here is my list

PES 2010
inFamous
Madden NFL 10
Modern Warfare 2
Assassin's Creed II
Final Fantasy XIII
Need for Speed Shift
Midnight Club LA