By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Half of U.S. kids will get food stamps - SO SAD

I have food stamps..

mM
Around the Network

ouch, thats awful, I could just imagine how embarassing it is for a lil kid to go out and get food with these.

O-D-C said:
ouch, thats awful, I could just imagine how embarassing it is for a lil kid to go out and get food with these.

I can only imagine.

I never was on food stamps growing up. My dad made barely enough money so we didn't qualify for any social programs. Though, even if we did, I don't think he would accept them. You know, pride and all.

O-D-C said:

Yes being a large middle class that America is, strong political culture of individualism and self-reliance, and a general bad look upon socio-economic classes it is just multiplied in magnitude in America.

Its sad that so many children are dependant on food-stamps, and it is also very sad that parents’ priorities have become so distorted that they will own a PS3 and a fancy new car but are dependant on the government to feed their children. I’m not trying to be the most insensitive person in the world, and I do believe that there are some people who are permanently on food stamps and need them (and others who are temporarily on food stamps while out of work), but I’m not naïve enough to believe that most of these children would risk starvation if they didn’t have food stamps.

Around the Network

There are so many flaws in the food stamps its unbelivable.

Firstly, im guessing its calculated on either how much money you earn or how much money you have?

There is no way that the USA Government can track what people buy and therefore, people who have a luxurious lifestyle (Games consoles) will recieve food stamps. Wheras, a family which earns and have the same amount of money, who are (sensible/prioritse) will not recieve food stamps (benefits)

I guess its better than the benefit system in the UK. At least people have to buy food with them rather than some people in the UK who might possibly buy Alcohol and cigarretes.

Rath said:
That doesn't seem sustainable.

Maybe Gorbachev was right saying the USA needs a perestroika...

They don't mean 50% at once I hope you know.

Currently 10% of Americans use foodstamps and... that's what the numbers in the 90's and the 80's were... and more or less was sustainable.

They likely get their "50%" nuber by the fact that people that a lot of people that get fooodstamps tend to not need them for long.

It's like the homeless numbers.  The Homeless numbers of percentage of the population that has been homeless is shocking, but the truth is most of those people were only homeless for like a month.

FootballFan said:
There are so many flaws in the food stamps its unbelivable.

Firstly, im guessing its calculated on either how much money you earn or how much money you have?

There is no way that the USA Government can track what people buy and therefore, people who have a luxurious lifestyle (Games consoles) will recieve food stamps. Wheras, a family which earns and have the same amount of money, who are (sensible/prioritse) will not recieve food stamps (benefits)

I guess its better than the benefit system in the UK. At least people have to buy food with them rather than some people in the UK who might possibly buy Alcohol and cigarretes.

Some people still do buy Alchohol and Cigarretes.

It's just a simple matter of finding people who want to save some money.

"You come to the store with me and i'll get you X amount of gorceries for Y amount of cash. You save and i make some money.

Kasz216 said:
Rath said:
That doesn't seem sustainable.

Maybe Gorbachev was right saying the USA needs a perestroika...

They don't mean 50% at once I hope you know.

Currently 10% of Americans use foodstamps and... that's what the numbers in the 90's and the 80's were... and more or less was sustainable.

They likely get their "50%" nuber by the fact that people that a lot of people that get fooodstamps tend to not need them for long.

It's like the homeless numbers.  The Homeless numbers of percentage of the population that has been homeless is shocking, but the truth is most of those people were only homeless for like a month.

Argh. I hate misleading statistics.

"Statistics are like ladies of the night, once you have them down - you can do whatever you want with them."

Yet some people will tell you that these people should be paying more in taxes and the rich should pay less, so it's 'fair' or a flat tax as it's called.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!