By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Half of U.S. kids will get food stamps - SO SAD

psrock said:
Excuse me folks

FOOD STAMPS IS NOT WELFARE.

Isn't it basically the same concept though? Government pays out cash to people who can't afford anything...for a good cause?

Around the Network

Earlier post shows that 66% of people on Welfare are White.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

tedsteriscool said:
psrock said:
Excuse me folks

Isn't it basically the same concept though? Government pays out cash to people who can't afford anything...for a good cause?

You don't actually get money, but a card so you can buy food to eat. Welfare actually helps with you housing, foods stamps, medical and child care. But it is one of the hardest thing to qualify for even when you don't make much.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
psrock said:
tedsteriscool said:
psrock said:
Excuse me folks

You don't actually get money, but a card so you can buy food to eat. Welfare actually helps with you housing, foods stamps, medical and child care. But it is one of the hardest thing to qualify for even when you don't make much.

Welfcare reform was passed under Clinton, but republicans want more cuts to welfare, medicare, social security and so on. If Bush 2 had pased the initiative to privatize social security and the market crashed like it just did then literally retired workers would be falling dead on the streets, but people have alraedy forgotten about that.

People's 401ks got hit bad especially if you were on the verge of retirement and the same would have happened to everyone's social security.

ckmlb said:
halogamer1989 said:
Terrible result of the Democrats continuing to push welfare and not advancement in minority and poor communities. A shame.

How do you advance poor and minority communites? By the way the majority of people on Welfare are white so let's get rid of that myth right there.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,974473,00.html

The numbers go like this: 61% of the population receiving welfare, listed as "means-tested cash assistance" by the Census Bureau, is identified as white, while only 33% is identified as black.

Since when does the phase "minority and poor communities" equal black only.  I never said it was the case.  Just look at Appalachia.  However, do I feel that ppl should be forever reliant on govt?  Absolutely not.  I have personal experience with this situation.  It is better to work up than to accept the "fate" that once born poor than you always must be.  Chris Gardner is one such example of this. 

Around the Network
halogamer1989 said:
ckmlb said:
halogamer1989 said:
Terrible result of the Democrats continuing to push welfare and not advancement in minority and poor communities. A shame.

How do you advance poor and minority communites? By the way the majority of people on Welfare are white so let's get rid of that myth right there.

The numbers go like this: 61% of the population receiving welfare, listed as "means-tested cash assistance" by the Census Bureau, is identified as white, while only 33% is identified as black.

Since when does the phase "minority and poor communities" equal black only.  I never said it was the case.  Just look at Appalachia.  However, do I feel that ppl should be forever reliant on govt?  Absolutely not.  I have personal experience with this situation.  It is better to work up than to accept the "fate" that once born poor than you always must be.  Chris Gardner is one such example of this. 

I was more refering to the myth of black people being the majority of people on welfare not specifically at you.

ckmlb said:
halogamer1989 said:
ckmlb said:
halogamer1989 said:

I was more refering to the myth of black people being the majority of people on welfare not specifically at you.

Ok.  Although welfare percentages in inner cities are indeed higher for AAs.

ckmlb said:

Don't you think 66% of the people on welfare are white partially because 74% of the population is white.

Something like 88% if you count Hispanic people has white. (which some studies stil do.)

There is a definite ethinicity gap as far as wealth goes in the country.  The real question... is it moral to address it?  To ignore some poor people over others because they have a different colored skin... because someone else with the same skin color who doesn't know or care about then has a bunch of money.

Poverty reducing programs should be even handed for all races.  If everything is even handed the change in race dispairty will change.  Just lower.

The real issue is wealth.  Income is actually fairly unimportant to showing wear you'll end up... rather it's wealth.

Something like 50% of NFL players will be bankrupt sometime after they leave the NFL.

People who build wealth will climb the economic latter, people who don't build wealth will fall on it.

I think there should probably be a mandatory economics class your first or second year in highschool that teaches everyone how to build wealth and the importance of building wealth.

Kasz216 said:
ckmlb said:

Don't you think 66% of the people on welfare are white partially because 74% of the population is white.

Something like 88% if you count Hispanic people has white. (which some studies stil do.)

There is a definite ethinicity gap as far as wealth goes in the country.  The real question... is it moral to address it?  To ignore some poor people over others because they have a different colored skin... because someone else with the same skin color who doesn't know or care about then has a bunch of money.

Poverty reducing programs should be even handed for all races.  If everything is even handed the change in race dispairty will change.  Just lower.

The real issue is wealth.  Income is actually fairly unimportant to showing wear you'll end up... rather it's wealth.

Something like 50% of NFL players will be bankrupt sometime after they leave the NFL.

People who build wealth will climb the economic latter, people who don't build wealth will fall on it.

I think there should probably be a mandatory economics class your first or second year in highschool that teaches everyone how to build wealth and the importance of building wealth.

I agree with a lot of that, but is Welfare forgetting non-minorities? I don't think it is.

ckmlb said:
Kasz216 said:
ckmlb said:

I agree with a lot of that, but is Welfare forgetting non-minorities? I don't think it is.

Forgetting, no... but more could be done when you consider a lot of the programs we have.