By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When do you think Nintendo will release the DS true sucessor?

^Yeah and they didn't find it (the camera) worthwhile, and a camera and wand would be too much expense, nintendo likes to keep systems cheap and profitable.

The balance board could be standard next gen, and even if it isn't the Vitality sensor is much smaller and probably cheaper.

Actually Nintendo has found most success in disruption, Iwata isn't stupid, he knows this, so likely the next system will be more than just a graphical upgrade

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network

The thing with disruption is it also banks on the other guys not copying what you're doing.

Likely now Sony and MS will watch whatever Nintendo does with a great deal more interest (read: they will be quicker to copy whatever Nintendo does successfully).

At some point I think you just gotta put together a good machine, with good games, good third party support and market it well too.

Topping the Wiimote when that technology in itself still really is in its infancy in terms of how developers are using it is a pretty tall order. 

thing is, you can't just copy hardware, its software that really helps Nintendo disruptions shine, Sony and MS will have a hard time copying that, you could make a Sony wand, but will it really have something to compete with Wii sports and Wii sports resort, will NATAL be able to compete with Wii fit.

True, a good system with good games is key, and Nintendo will do that, but a good way to really rock your opponent back on their heels is to get the drop on them with something that they aren't able to counter, and that brings in new people and people who have left

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I actually think as a pure work out game .... EA Active is more effective than Wii Fit.

Nintendo's strength shows in games where they're really able to flex their design muscle -- like Mario, Zelda, or Metroid. No offense to Wii Sports/Fit, but it's kinda like a great movie director doing TV ... nothing wrong with that, and its popular, but probably not the pinnacle of Nintendo design.

Back to the DS successor, which is what this topic is about, I think what Nintendo would want is to get a big screen size without having to have two screens (which causes for a very large system) while keeping backwards compatibility with the old DS. 

Besides, it would be funny to see MS get completely and utterly screwed like that ... no casual would buy Natal + 360 if there was a Wii 2 + camera + newer Wiimote available. 

A lack of a killer app would hurt NATAL far worse than Nintendo doing their own. But if they had a killer app, the systems would succeed on its own regardless of what Nintendo did.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network

Wii fit isn't a pure workout game though, it is about getting people aware of their fitness and their lifestyle, Active is just about exercise, but Wii fit, fits in better with a person's life that Active, overall fit is more successful at its goal.

I think Natal will probably have some pretty decent software simply because Microsoft throws a ton of money at so many devs, that really it's a strategy that eventually yields some good games.

Even the 360 launch which was rushed a year ahead of the PS3 was surprisingly not bad ... there's always been a good flow of software for the 360 really from day 1. They always pretty much will open their wallet if that's what it takes to get certain exclusives or certain games coming their way. 

They probably are banking heavily on Natal taking off next year, I think it's their great hope. Just would be funny to see Nintendo just crush it right in front of their face.

If the PS2 can last 9-10 years why wouldn't the DS be able to do the same???

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

I don't doubt the DS can be sold for several years longer.

I just highly doubt Nintendo is going to sit on their hands for another 3 years without releasing something new to compliment that. Especially at the rate they're refreshing their existing DS line.

A new handheld iteration from Nintendo is becoming almost a yearly thing now. 

The earliest is mid/late 2011 I think, because Nintendo will not launch the DS' successor one year after DSi XL. They will at least pause long enough to see the reaction to that update.

Beyond that, it will depend on software. And I mean 5m and 10m unit selling software, which can keep hardware sales high. The tons and tons of 1-5m unit selling software I don't think can keep sales at 25m a year without some big 10m sellers too.

2010 will see Pokemon HG/SS sell 10 million units. Nintendo may push Tomodachi Collection as a major title in the west, especially Europe. But who can tell if it is another Brain Training. Beyond that, what is there?

If Nintendo comes up with some more ridonkulous mega-hits, it can do like Game Boy, which got Pokemon so late in the cycle, and extend its life as the flagship system beyond a decade. Without those, holiday 2011 or 2012 seems more likely.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.