By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When do you think Nintendo will release the DS true sucessor?

why so desperate to see new harware with no many games to play with, the DS is selling a lot, Nintendo would be stupid to release another one right now, they will wait until sales start to decline, probably 2010 or 2011

Around the Network

I doubt they will release the new handheld in 2011, probably 2012, E3 2010 they'll show off the Vitality sensor, so E3 2011 for the next handheld, then released the year after holidays (2012), and the year after for the next console (E3 2012) and then release it the year after (2013) at the holidays.

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

I think one of Wii 2 or DS2 will be out next year for sure at least in Japan.

DS has hit a saturation point in North America and Europe I think (sales are down this year despite DSi).

I don't know if you want to give Apple years and years to continue upgrading the iPod touch/iPhone line with more games while you just stand pat either.

I think it's also pretty clear Nintendo is accelerating the rate at which they introduce new handheld models. There's pretty much a new DS out now almost on a yearly basis ... I think they are moving more towards an Apple like model themselves.  

I'll go with Kantor: I believe that DS's true sucessor will take a bit long now. I bet 2013-2014.

Maneco's Hall of Lame
As of October 2010 and, hopefully, until the end of times

Notable Mentions (a.k.a. "Games I Played and Hated")

The Legend of Zelda:
Ocarina of Time

Pokémon Channel

Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity

2013/14 is pretty ridiculous considering they're releasing more hardware revisions now.

I think they are actually testing the market to get them used to having more and more iterations, just like the iPod.

By the end of 2011 I believe both the successors to the current DS and Wii will both be on the market.

Around the Network

2011 +

nexg gen consoles

2013 +

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

When they have another system ready, they will make the successor. They likely would want something worth having a new system over instead of just stronger specs.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

2015 would be the year it comes...
novermder would be the month
and the day would be 27...

but im just guessing...

LordTheNightKnight said:
When they have another system ready, they will make the successor. They likely would want something worth having a new system over instead of just stronger specs.

I would bet they have both the Wii 2 and DS 2 complete already hardware wise pretty much more or less.

Soundwave said:
LordTheNightKnight said:

I would bet they have both the Wii 2 and DS 2 complete already hardware wise pretty much more or less.

That depends on if they simply want more powerful systems or a further gameplay control setup. If the latter, then they need to have the ideas come to them a while ago to have the systems complete. Just assuming they are complete is wrong, since systems can often get changed up until near the last minute.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs