By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How much money could Sony make from Gran Turismo 5?

they rich

Around the Network
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Munkeh111 said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Munkeh111 said:
Well, it will very very very probably sell more than 5m, and so at $30 each, a nice $150... but I dunno if GT 5p did sell enough to make up for all these dev costs and probably pay for GT PSP development from the looks of its sales

I would have underastood if you would have said 8m but 5m is very very low.Its like to hate GT franchise

That is a minimum

i think atleast 8m would be minimum.You gotta agree with the realty here dude

8 million? You have got to be joking. You are saying that a game coming out in spring, with a console userbase less than a third of the ps2's, can sell similiar numbers to GT4? Its "minimum" will be somewhere between 4-5 million, and I'm not sure what time period you are referring to either, LTD i suspect. To answer others above me, SONY would not get $60 for each game, it actuality it would probably be closer to half that. Factor in a 100+ development team and 4+ years of development PLUS a massive advertising spree and I think most of the users estimates of SONY's profits are overestimated. It will make a profit, just not as big as gt3/gt4 etc.

If they make 30$ for the game at full price and sell 3.5Million at full price, that would be $105M.

We'd need to know how the revenue for a 60$ game is divided... Which we don't...

4 ≈ One

headshot91 said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Munkeh111 said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Munkeh111 said:
Well, it will very very very probably sell more than 5m, and so at $30 each, a nice $150... but I dunno if GT 5p did sell enough to make up for all these dev costs and probably pay for GT PSP development from the looks of its sales

I would have underastood if you would have said 8m but 5m is very very low.Its like to hate GT franchise

That is a minimum

8 million? You have got to be joking. You are saying that a game coming out in spring, with a console userbase less than a third of the ps2's, can sell similiar numbers to GT4? Its "minimum" will be somewhere between 4-5 million, and I'm not sure what time period you are referring to either, LTD i suspect. To answer others above me, SONY would not get $60 for each game, it actuality it would probably be closer to half that. Factor in a 100+ development team and 4+ years of development PLUS a massive advertising spree and I think most of the users estimates of SONY's profits are overestimated. It will make a profit, just not as big as gt3/gt4 etc.

Yes. halo 3 did it' and it's less popular than GT worlwide.

Kantor said:
twingo said:
They have said its a billion dollar franchise for them.

Lets say 5 million at full price. Retailer gets what $10 so Sony takes $50 = 250,000,000 just play with the math you should get a descent ball park figure.

I'm pretty sure the retailer gets more than that. Plus, packing, manufacturing and shipping. And not every copy will be sold at full price.

Not really.  Retailers barely make anything on new games.  I recall seeing numbers from last gen that had it around maybe 5-6 dollars a game.  That is why so many places are starting to sell used games. 

headshot91 said:

Its "minimum" will be somewhere between 4-5 million

You know, Prologue is sitting at 3,940,000 shipped/downloaded as of June.

Around the Network

They will make at least 5 dollars.  If not more!

badgenome said:

Hundreds of dollars. Thousands, maybe.

Don't get carried away. It's typical of Sony fans to overpredict like that!

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

zaMy said:
lets see. most GT games sell 10m.
costs $70 for GT5.
$70 x 10 000 000 = $700 000 000 So they COULD make this much if it sells 10 m

but I think its more likely that the game will sell 5mill. so
$70 x 5 000 000 = $35 000 000

except the 35 million wont all be profit of course

Interesting math...

Vote to Localize — SEGA and Konami Polls

Vote Today To Help Get A Konami & SEGA Game Localized.This Will Only Work If Lots Of People Vote.

Click on the Image to Head to the Voting Page (A vote for Yakuza is a vote to save gaming)

Xoj said:
headshot91 said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Munkeh111 said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Munkeh111 said:

That is a minimum

Yes. halo 3 did it' and it's less popular than GT worlwide.

umm, on current gen consoles, halo is more popular than GT...

Millions first day!