By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How much money could Sony make from Gran Turismo 5?

10 million at an average of $15 apiece?

$150 million. Pure profit.

Not bad.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

They have said its a billion dollar franchise for them.

Lets say 5 million at full price. Retailer gets what $10 so Sony takes $50 = 250,000,000 just play with the math you should get a descent ball park figure.

twingo said:

Lets say 5 million at full price. Retailer gets what $10 so Sony takes $50 = 250,000,000 just play with the math you should get a descent ball park figure.

I'm pretty sure the retailer gets more than that. Plus, packing, manufacturing and shipping. And not every copy will be sold at full price.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Kantor said:
twingo said:

I'm pretty sure the retailer gets more than that. Plus, packing, manufacturing and shipping. And not every copy will be sold at full price.

And another thing to count, most of sales won't be in full price. GT is like a concept game of PS brand, and this franchise is heavily bundled and get several discount with time. Sure, considering this game sells 10 million at least 5 million will be sold at full price... And we forget that Sony makes more money from each copy sold in EU than in US, and EU is the main region for GT sales, and in japan this game will have a higher price, someting like FF and DQ have in that region. Another good thing for profit in this games is that PD will push downloadable content hard, there will be several cars, tracks, championships,songs, acessories and other stuff for purchase at PSN. 

Hopefully they advertise the hell out of it, so that could have a big impact on the profit. Anyways, they'll make a lot. :D

Around the Network
kowenicki said:
People are forgetting advertising... they will advertise this to hell... spending a fortune.

I have no idea how the revenue split works on a game like this, so I wont comment on the actual amount.

Alot of the advertisment will be free, any site any any mag and tv show to do with cars will be talking about this game.  Hell iam sure Top Gear will tell their viewers that they can run their course in GT5 not bad way to promote it.  All the cars GT has will mean all the car forums will be talking about it.

Yahh tv commercials are a given, but theres no need to waste Halo3 like ad money.

Surely they got a big formula to work all this out for themselfs.

Kantor said:
twingo said:

i know not all will be full price that's why i said 5 million at full price.

i have read retailer gets 10 from every game, while ago might have changed who knows.

RolStoppable said:
Sony could make enough money to have the first profitable quarter with the PlayStation business since Oct-Dec 2008. In other words, one hell of a lot of money.

true that, GT4 did 4 million in its first month.

GT5 will inject some serious cash into Sony.

Advertising costs, but if consoles manufacturers ask $5-6 royalties on full priced 3rd party games (IIRC), I guess profit must be higher than that, if sales go well, so 1st party games should earn, if everything goes right, more than $10 per copy.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

lets see. most GT games sell 10m.
costs $70 for GT5.
$70 x 10 000 000 = $700 000 000 So they COULD make this much if it sells 10 m

but I think its more likely that the game will sell 5mill. so
$70 x 5 000 000 = $35 000 000

except the 35 million wont all be profit of course