By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - How much money could Sony make from Gran Turismo 5?

headshot91 said:
Xoj said:
headshot91 said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Munkeh111 said:
Solid_Snake4RD said:
Munkeh111 said:
Well, it will very very very probably sell more than 5m, and so at $30 each, a nice $150... but I dunno if GT 5p did sell enough to make up for all these dev costs and probably pay for GT PSP development from the looks of its sales

I would have underastood if you would have said 8m but 5m is very very low.Its like to hate GT franchise

That is a minimum

i think atleast 8m would be minimum.You gotta agree with the realty here dude

8 million? You have got to be joking. You are saying that a game coming out in spring, with a console userbase less than a third of the ps2's, can sell similiar numbers to GT4? Its "minimum" will be somewhere between 4-5 million, and I'm not sure what time period you are referring to either, LTD i suspect. To answer others above me, SONY would not get $60 for each game, it actuality it would probably be closer to half that. Factor in a 100+ development team and 4+ years of development PLUS a massive advertising spree and I think most of the users estimates of SONY's profits are overestimated. It will make a profit, just not as big as gt3/gt4 etc.

Yes. halo 3 did it' and it's less popular than GT worlwide.

umm, on current gen consoles, halo is more popular than GT...

GT5: Prologue > Halo Wars

Also, @ The red. What happened with MGS4 > MGS3, for example?

Around the Network

thiiiiiiis much

{stretches hand}

in all seriousity

this will be a BIG MONEYMAKER for them....it'll probably be the most profitable HD game/most money making HD game, right behind the MW's & GTA's

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
thiiiiiiis much

{stretches hand}

in all seriousity

this will be a BIG MONEYMAKER for them....it'll probably be the most profitable HD game/most money making HD game, right behind the MW's & GTA's

Sure it will. Sales will be huge, but there is one more thing that make this game special for Sony. It WILL move lots of downloadable content from PSN. Think, loads of cars,tracks,paints,championships,acessories,songs and etc to download. This game have potential to be a entire social network like Halo 3 did, with millions of gamers playing online, downloading customized content, talking and etc. I bet this game will make more profit than Halo 3 or GTA not because of direct sales, but most because of the downloadable content and in-game marketing.

Well, prologue probably just about covered GT5's costs, so what they make from GT5 should be pure profit. Say they make $40 a copy since it's first party and sell 6 million copies at full price. They'd make $240,000,000!!!

The only other significant thing that can dig Sony out of the red is Spider-Man 4.

invetedlotus123 said:
darthdevidem01 said:
thiiiiiiis much

{stretches hand}

in all seriousity

Sure it will. Sales will be huge, but there is one more thing that make this game special for Sony. It WILL move lots of downloadable content from PSN. Think, loads of cars,tracks,paints,championships,acessories,songs and etc to download. This game have potential to be a entire social network like Halo 3 did, with millions of gamers playing online, downloading customized content, talking and etc. I bet this game will make more profit than Halo 3 or GTA not because of direct sales, but most because of the downloadable content and in-game marketing.

I agree

It will SELL A TON

it has the potential to have a huge online community that will buy new cars/track via DLC

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
tedsteriscool said:

Well, prologue probably just about covered GT5's costs, so what they make from GT5 should be pure profit. Say they make $40 a copy since it's first party and sell 6 million copies at full price. They'd make $240,000,000!!!

The only other significant thing that can dig Sony out of the red is Spider-Man 4.

They could try many things actually, like giving up of trying to increase ps3 base and just put price at 600$. Sales would decline like a rock, but at least they wouldn't make loss for sales. The worst mistake that Sony made at beginning of generation was not releasing ps3 for a higher price, okay it would have sold less, but, it was already expensive and selling it at 1000$ price would hurt the sales but no their wallet.

Shouldn't the question be how much is PD making from GT5?

markers said:
Shouldn't the question be how much is PD making from GT5?

They're internal, owned by Sony. So ultimately, all of the money is Sony's money.

I also think the sales of Prolouge helped reduce the dev costs of GT5

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

badgenome said:

Hundreds of dollars. Thousands, maybe.

This post hasn't been given enough recognition.

Well played sir.