By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Modern Warfare 2 pre-order sales are failing hard

The choice to remove dedicated servers was made for a reason, it was not a quick decision I am sure. Whatever reason it was, was obviously a greater concern than upsetting the pc gaming audience. Even the most dull of people would know this decision would cause a stir. Nothing is happening here, not even the petition, that is unexpected.

So understanding this, it is obvious that the monetary gain from this reason, would offset the pc gaming audience that decides not to buy the game. The only way Activision will care is if the amount lost due to the decision is more than they expected. At which point, something may be done on their end to rectify the issue. Otherwise, pc gaming sales could matter less and less to them in the future.

Around the Network
richardhutnik said:

Well, revenues being stagnant, and more and more online, means that there is a desire for more control over things by the companies, to increase revenue.  Activision is now shifting to what they can have to maximize revenues, and if it bombs on the PC, then they end up no longer doing Modern Warfare on the PC.

If MW2 bombs on PC, you can damn well expect Activision will change it's ways and start doing a proper job on the PC versions of their games. COD4 sold millions and millions on PC, and I doubt they are insane enough to stop releasing COD on PC.

madkiller said:

This is not going to affect the sales of MW2 even a little bit. I used to play FPS games exclusively on the PC, including CoD 4, but I now play mostly on Xbox 360 because I have more friends that play there now. Xbox Live is just so good for getting together with friends to play together that I don't mind the fact that the FPS games are not quite as good as the PC versions because of controls and dedicated servers. Also, I am an achievement whore and work hard getting as many as possible. I finally have my achievement completion percentage above 50% and am pretty happy.

The PC sales for certain games like this are going to be an afterthought at this point. The fact that there is only 1 version of the game for PC, but 3 for the consoles shows that Activision is not nearly as worried about PC sales anymore. They have seen the huge disparity between the sales for CoD 4 and CoD 5 between consoles and PC and know where they need to put most of their focus. The significance of PC sales is just not what it used to be because consoles have come a long way with features where PC doesn't have as big an advantage like it used to. Over time the advantage will just get smaller as more and more features are added to the consoles.

I don't think it is a good idea to remove dedicated servers, but I can see why they want to do it and as an original old school PC gamer going back to the Oregon Trail days I wouldn't be too mad at them because I still want this game more than any other for a very long time. This game is going to outsell just about every game this generation with the exception of the crappy Wii pack in games like Wii Sports and Wii Play...

Collector editions are non-factor, especially when both special editions of MW2 can't be done in DD copies of the game, which is where most of the sales of PC games are made.

No one knows for sure how much COD4 sold on PC, but there have been rumors that it was above 8 millions. All I can say is that I wouldn't be surprised if COD4 PC sales won't be too far fromthe 10 million milestone.

The thing now is that PC gaming is cheaper than Console gaming. Infact, in my opinion, PC gamers get the best out of almost everything.

^^I think you started those rumors shio.

shio said:
richardhutnik said:

Well, revenues being stagnant, and more and more online, means that there is a desire for more control over things by the companies, to increase revenue.  Activision is now shifting to what they can have to maximize revenues, and if it bombs on the PC, then they end up no longer doing Modern Warfare on the PC.

If MW2 bombs on PC, you can damn well expect Activision will change it's ways and start doing a proper job on the PC versions of their games. COD4 sold millions and millions on PC, and I doubt they are insane enough to stop releasing COD on PC.

madkiller said:

This is not going to affect the sales of MW2 even a little bit. I used to play FPS games exclusively on the PC, including CoD 4, but I now play mostly on Xbox 360 because I have more friends that play there now. Xbox Live is just so good for getting together with friends to play together that I don't mind the fact that the FPS games are not quite as good as the PC versions because of controls and dedicated servers. Also, I am an achievement whore and work hard getting as many as possible. I finally have my achievement completion percentage above 50% and am pretty happy.

The PC sales for certain games like this are going to be an afterthought at this point. The fact that there is only 1 version of the game for PC, but 3 for the consoles shows that Activision is not nearly as worried about PC sales anymore. They have seen the huge disparity between the sales for CoD 4 and CoD 5 between consoles and PC and know where they need to put most of their focus. The significance of PC sales is just not what it used to be because consoles have come a long way with features where PC doesn't have as big an advantage like it used to. Over time the advantage will just get smaller as more and more features are added to the consoles.

I don't think it is a good idea to remove dedicated servers, but I can see why they want to do it and as an original old school PC gamer going back to the Oregon Trail days I wouldn't be too mad at them because I still want this game more than any other for a very long time. This game is going to outsell just about every game this generation with the exception of the crappy Wii pack in games like Wii Sports and Wii Play...

Collector editions are non-factor, especially when both special editions of MW2 can't be done in DD copies of the game, which is where most of the sales of PC games are made.

No one knows for sure how much COD4 sold on PC, but there have been rumors that it was above 8 millions. All I can say is that I wouldn't be surprised if COD4 PC sales won't be too far fromthe 10 million milestone.

The thing now is that PC gaming is cheaper than Console gaming. Infact, in my opinion, PC gamers get the best out of almost everything.

First of all, digital distribution does NOT make up the majority of PC sales yet, not even close. Secondly, the sales figures released for CoD 4 as a whole along with what we know that it sold for PS3 and 360 suggest the PC sales were more in the 4-5m range. Having been around PC gaming for its ENTIRE history I can tell you that besides MMOs that just don't exist on consoles that PC gaming has declined majorly over the last few years.

"If you don't like me, bite me!"

JaggedSac said:
The choice to remove dedicated servers was made for a reason, it was not a quick decision I am sure. Whatever reason it was, was obviously a greater concern than upsetting the pc gaming audience. Even the most dull of people would know this decision would cause a stir. Nothing is happening here, not even the petition, that is unexpected.

So understanding this, it is obvious that the monetary gain from this reason, would offset the pc gaming audience that decides not to buy the game. The only way Activision will care is if the amount lost due to the decision is more than they expected. At which point, something may be done on their end to rectify the issue. Otherwise, pc gaming sales could matter less and less to them in the future.

The only explanation for their decision is to curb User-created content, so as to justify selling their DLC. Why do you think they spent resources just to make IW.NET? It would've been cheaper to just support dedicated servers. Then are doing this to sell DLC, and eliminate mods.

IW.NET won't stop piracy at all, even Infinity Ward said so themselves. Their only measure to fight piracy was to make MW2 Steam-integrated, which is a good decision.

EDIT: I didn't start those rumors. I have only said that I believe COD4 sold amazing and had a great chance to not be far from 10 millions lifetime on PC. but the 8 million figure was from some other dude.

Around the Network
madkiller said:
shio said:
richardhutnik said:

madkiller said:

First of all, digital distribution does NOT make up the majority of PC sales yet, not even close. Secondly, the sales figures released for CoD 4 as a whole along with what we know that it sold for PS3 and 360 suggest the PC sales were more in the 4-5m range. Having been around PC gaming for its ENTIRE history I can tell you that besides MMOs that just don't exist on consoles that PC gaming has declined majorly over the last few years.

There are more PC games being sold on DD services than Retail... I thought this was already common knowledge. Steam alone has been estimated to have made $600m in North-America, in 2008. Chart Track expects Steam to increase 78% in 2009, to $1.1 billion in NA.

If the PC sales of COD4 was 4-5m in retail, then it has a definite chance of reaching 8 to 10 millions sales lifetime on.

And what is this "PC declining" stuff?! Why are you arguing against facts?! PC gaming has been increasing steadily, and has never been healthier. There are far more PC games being developed than console games.

shio said:
madkiller said:
shio said:
richardhutnik said:

madkiller said:

There are more PC games being sold on DD services than Retail... I thought this was already common knowledge. Steam alone has been estimated to have made $600m in North-America, in 2008. Chart Track expects Steam to increase 78% in 2009, to $1.1 billion in NA.

If the PC sales of COD4 was 4-5m in retail, then it has a definite chance of reaching 8 to 10 millions sales lifetime on.

And what is this "PC declining" stuff?! Why are you arguing against facts?! PC gaming has been increasing steadily, and has never been healthier. There are far more PC games being developed than console games.

LMAO, wow dude, you really are trying hard with a bunch of unsubstantiated BS. Show anyone here some kind of proof that PC sales are going better through DD or that PC sales are up overall. Sorry man, but making up a bunch of crap does not make you look very good. Every game released on PC alongside consoles get killed in sales by the console versions. This is especially true for the biggest games like CoD 4. It is nowhere near 8m on PC and never will be, especially since the sales of CoD 4 will virtually disappear in 3 weeks when MW2 is released...

"If you don't like me, bite me!"

Gah don't make this into PC vs Console sales!

This is about the fact that consoles are making games histtier and shittier with every passing year!

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

Last thing that was said about MW2 sales on PC was that it sold ~ the same amount as the PS3 version. However, considering it cost less to make and a lot of those sales were on Steam where the publisher makes twice as much per copy sold it undoubtedly out-profited the PS3 version... and if MW2 costs them even a million sales from the loss of dedicated servers, especially if that million is people who would have bought it on steam, the financial gain from the decision undoubtedly will not make up for this.

I told you so^^
PC gamers are not the same drones that console gamers are.

I LOVE ICELAND!