By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Modern Warfare 2 pre-order sales are failing hard

vlad321 said:

Bolded part is utterly false. CoD has been a PC franchise up until 4 ( when it started to suck the big one, imo) and if it wasn't fo the PC gamers it wouldn't exit.

Also I agree with your monetary reasons, however that's what pisses me off the most, you know what pisses me off. The fact that since games went mostly to HD consoles the quality of games has started dropping like a stone. This is another example of games going to utter shitbecause of HD consoles.

You and Zen form a very interesting contrast for many reasons.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
vlad321 said:

Bolded part is utterly false. CoD has been a PC franchise up until 4 ( when it started to suck the big one, imo) and if it wasn't fo the PC gamers it wouldn't exit.

Also I agree with your monetary reasons, however that's what pisses me off the most, you know what pisses me off. The fact that since games went mostly to HD consoles the quality of games has started dropping like a stone. This is another example of games going to utter shitbecause of HD consoles.

Wereyou there wbout the argument of how console games have made game quality go down? We reached a tenuous ageement once proper assumtions were set.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

vlad321 said:
Khuutra said:

Wereyou there wbout the argument of how console games have made game quality go down? We reached a tenuous ageement once proper assumtions were set.

No, I wasn't, and I'm sure you did.

MissingNo said:
For a minute there I thought you meant on consoles, ya know the things people actually play :)

You don't think people play PC Games?

Really?

WOW

PS4 Preordered - 06/11/2013 @09:30am

XBox One Preordered - 06/19/2013 @07:57pm

"I don't trust #XboxOne & #Kinect 2.0, it's always connected" as you tweet from your smartphone - irony 0_o

signed

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

Around the Network

lmao, these petitions really amuse me, we all know that they are only signing it to get attention from IW. everyone knows that they are all going to buy the game eventually......

This is not going to affect the sales of MW2 even a little bit. I used to play FPS games exclusively on the PC, including CoD 4, but I now play mostly on Xbox 360 because I have more friends that play there now. Xbox Live is just so good for getting together with friends to play together that I don't mind the fact that the FPS games are not quite as good as the PC versions because of controls and dedicated servers. Also, I am an achievement whore and work hard getting as many as possible. I finally have my achievement completion percentage above 50% and am pretty happy.

The PC sales for certain games like this are going to be an afterthought at this point. The fact that there is only 1 version of the game for PC, but 3 for the consoles shows that Activision is not nearly as worried about PC sales anymore. They have seen the huge disparity between the sales for CoD 4 and CoD 5 between consoles and PC and know where they need to put most of their focus. The significance of PC sales is just not what it used to be because consoles have come a long way with features where PC doesn't have as big an advantage like it used to. Over time the advantage will just get smaller as more and more features are added to the consoles.

I don't think it is a good idea to remove dedicated servers, but I can see why they want to do it and as an original old school PC gamer going back to the Oregon Trail days I wouldn't be too mad at them because I still want this game more than any other for a very long time. This game is going to outsell just about every game this generation with the exception of the crappy Wii pack in games like Wii Sports and Wii Play...

"If you don't like me, bite me!"

IllegalPaladin said:
richardhutnik said:
shio said:
schattenwolf86 said:
I canceled my pc preorder. No dedicated servers, no buy. I play on 3 main CoD4 servers and thats it because of *gasp* the community there.

Exactly. The dedicated servers aren't only about the lag. They're also about the communities built around those servers, mods, options, customization, admins being able to ban cheaters/idiots, and just play the way you want. All of that will be lost in MW2.

This is based upon Activision seeing the console market model superior for revenues than the PC market.  By doing this, they look to crack down on pirated copies of the game, and oversee everything gameplay wise, and can then be able to run advertising also in the place where gamers log in, and get more revenue.  It breaths some life out of the community, but that is replaced by more money.  Did you think that top game titles wouldn't go this way?   Or are you still telling yourself that PC titles outsell console titles by a wide margin?

Anyhow, company run servers happen to also force the players to meet each other online, and does help foster the generating of community.

Counter-Strike has ads yet it uses dedicated servers. Another example is Killing Floor. There's a free weekend for it on Steam and I saw that they have ads (video too).

You can meet people on dedicated servers too and I'd rather have servers that I often visit vs matchmaking to meet people. I don't want my friends list filled with crap. It's already annoying enough on PSN to get friend invitations from people that I might have played one match with, especially when it's a blank invitation. Nor do I want to have to rely on that list to play with people when I could have simply joined a server I often play in and played with the other regulars.

To be quite honest, I don't think many people were expecting it to go this way. Consoles might have become more popular than PC games, but dedicated servers are like a standard for many PC games. Obviously with the response, this was a very sudden bomb that was dropped on the PC community especially when everybody was preparing to migrate from COD4 to Modern Warfare 2 including clans and the people who would mod/create maps/get dedicated servers.

Well, revenues being stagnant, and more and more online, means that there is a desire for more control over things by the companies, to increase revenue.  Activision is now shifting to what they can have to maximize revenues, and if it bombs on the PC, then they end up no longer doing Modern Warfare on the PC.

deathgod33 said:
lmao, these petitions really amuse me, we all know that they are only signing it to get attention from IW. everyone knows that they are all going to buy the game eventually......

Or pirate it, and then whine they can't run dedicated servers, in order to have to buy the game.

deathgod33 said:

No they won't. They will pirate it and maybe wait for a hacked way around their netcode for dedicated servers. This game is shit, there is no reason to buy this game at all.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835