By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Modern Warfare 2 pre-order sales are failing hard

Khuutra said:
That was an invitation to explain, Zen.

lol, I KNEW you were curious.

This is an industry. Its based off money changing hands.

What it has nothing to do with, is user experience. That experience only entices said money to change hands. We tend to focus in on the user experience, because that's what we care about the most. However, for all it matters to the industry monitarily, we might as well be playing Gingerbread Men. The actual game, and its bullet points are marketing tools. Quality and reputation are marketing tools. If those tools start to hurt a developer more than they help them, they are a liability. That's the case we have with PC gaming.

The PC community has found AMAZING ways to maximize and improve the user experience, for free, and it has paid dearly for it. DRM, severe lack of high budget exclusive single player games, inability to play many games until months after their console release, ect. Publishers simply cannot allow customers to be driven towards PC gaming.

Some form of control is needed, I think that's obvious. We can't go on with piracy the way it is, it's unsustainable.

However, what I'm saying, is that more publisher control is actually beneficial to PC gamers. They should embrace it. Stuff like this will eventually lead to developers being able to come back to the platform, and profit, as if it were a console. It might piss PC gamers off in the short run, but it IS better for them to lose some of that control now, instead of losing it all at once in the future. It means more games, and maybe even some exclusive games can profit on the PC. Ports might arrive on time. DRM and even piracy might dissapear.

BUT, for that to happen, the nature of PC gaming has to change. It will change, by force if necessary. It will change or it will die, like everything else. Console gaming changes, sometimes drastically, from year to year. You cannot stagnate, and the winds are blowing PC gaming towards becoming something developers can control, and eventually profit from.

It'll get there. Problem is, it'll be a lot of kicking and screaming in the process. It's a necessary change. It is happening, because nobody has given up on PC gaming, and nobody will, but for it to move forward, like ALL things, it has to change, and free code floating around the internet is one of the things that needs to be worked on.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

You said exactly what I knew you were going to say, and everything was already intrinsic to your original statement.

I'm.... not sure you really understand PC gaming.

Zen that entire statement would have made sense if it weren't utter nonsense.

Clearly PC gaming is changing in exactly the opposite direction. What's selling well in PC gaming right now are games the USER can control. For example, Left 4 Dead, the original Call of Duty 4, Fallout 3.

These games don't sell as well as they did on consoles, but they also cost less to make, and have a higher profit margin thanks to much smaller retail cuts from things like Steam. What's NOT selling well are the things that force heavy control (Anything with heavy DRM and no dedicated servers for example).

You say CoD4 was one of the most pirated games, but it was also one of the best selling. Any number of literally dozens of studies can tell you that piracy has almost zero effect on potential sales, and the games will sell what they sell regardless of its presence.

Go elsewhere, and discuss things you understand with other console only gamers. You are way out of your realm of knowledge here. It's silly to discuss this with you. It's like having a blind man tell you what color you should paint your house.

So, what you guys are saying, is that PC gaming is an entirely different gamer segment with different tastes garnered towards usergenerated content, and that it is completely ignorant to compare them?

Tell that to shio, will ya?

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
So, what you guys are saying, is that PC gaming is an entirely different gamer segment with different tastes garnered towards usergenerated content, and that it is completely ignorant to compare them?

Tell that to shio, will ya?

I think shio actually understands the point that Naz is pointing out and I'm not goign to bother making.

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
I think it's great. As a CoD4 player, online, I wasn't able to connect with a vast majority of the community. Anywhere I would go, there would either be an overbearing host, cheating, racism without punishment, a clan beatdown, and huge skill disparities between my teammates and the people I play against. This basically holds the player experience above modders experiences and cheaters experience. It holds the community together, and disparages elitist attitudes and absolute unfair user control. It also moves the PC and its biggest games, more towards a uniform console type system where all players have equal rights and privileges, and rules and limits.

If you don't like it, tough. Console sales make this game exist in its current form, not PC sales. You can buy it or skip it. I think CoD4 was one of the most pirated games of all time, if I recall. I find that much more abhorrent than such a minor issue as lack of DSS.

As for the preorders, they are huge on consoles, and that's what matters to the developers. Do you think that's not true?

This way, MW2 will have a more casual appeal even on PC, and might actually draw new fans in, not the same old stagnant elitist PC fans. In 5 years, MW2 will still be accessible to new gamers on PC. It wouldn't be, without this move.

This is the direction the industry is moving, btw. PC fans have no voice. Money talks. Piracy doesn't. With the glee over the DRM experiment failing, wouldn't it have been nice if that experiment succeeded instead? Maybe it would have allowed the games to sell better, and publishers wouldn't be laughing in the face of your "free gaming" mantra. Did you think that the DRM experiment would end the war? Why didn't you expect them just to try something more drastic? This is a real game. This isn't some independent developer trying to make a name for himself amongst PC pirates, so he can get paid to develop a console game in the future. This is the top dog here. They aren't playing around with you, they don't need to. They do not need your support.

You're going to buy this anyway. Or pirate it. This move will have no effect on that decision for most gamers. It won't hurt Activision financially, it will help the game for casual PC gamers, and Activision will have stood major ground in an effort to wrangle in the free wheeling come-what-may PC community.

If they cave, I'll be dissapointed.

Bolded part is utterly false. CoD has been a PC franchise up until 4 ( when it started to suck the big one, imo) and if it wasn't fo the PC gamers it wouldn't exit.

Also I agree with your monetary reasons, however that's what pisses me off the most, you know what pisses me off. The fact that since games went mostly to HD consoles the quality of games has started dropping like a stone. This is another example of games going to utter shitbecause of HD consoles.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

If that alone is enough to damage the amount of pre-orders, the PC gaming market is smaller than I thought.

For a minute there I thought you meant on consoles, ya know the things people actually play :)

I'll do a signature later

MissingNo said:
For a minute there I thought you meant on consoles, ya know the things people actually play :)

Well, there is over 147,000 people who signed the petition. People do seem to be playing =P

Dedicated Servers?

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi