By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Dead Space Extraction is a MAJOR flop - we need to talk about it

^^                                                                             ^^
Haze was also by the same team that made GoldenEye.

The Conduit was made by High Voltage, who was best known for Dora the Explorer and 50 Cent games.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Third parties just don't get it, Wii gamers like quality first party game, we have Nintendo, so all that stuff that PS360 fans are willing to stomach just won't fly on the Wii, you want to sell on the Wii you have to be as good or better than Nintendo, you have to bring the fun

Fixed

I suppose Zak and Wiki, NMH, Mad World... aren't 'quality'? Correct me if I'm wrong here.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
amp316 said:

^^                                                                             ^^

The Conduit was made by High Voltage, who was best known for Dora the Explorer and 50 Cent games.

A good game should sell because it's a GOOD game, Can't speak for any other system, but Demon Soul, Folklore.. all sold respectable based ONLY on the product itself.

And when it comes to that. the developer of LBP, only made 1 game, and it sold incredible based on hype and final product.

on the same coin, Lair, extremely hyped game from a respectable studio. Flipped because the final product sucked.

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

As i said in the other thread...

"Dead Space: Extraction is at 83 on Metacritic right now. Not bad quality for a "test" game.

Infact by review's it's of higher quality than Wii Sports Resort, Muramasa:TDB, Mario Kart Wii, Mad World, Wii Fit, House of the Dead: Overkill and The Conduit."

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?id=2736647

There are 3 companies whose game won't even research before buying. Nintendo, Blizzard and Valve.
Square used to be part of that...

It's pretty much a given that Nintendo eats up a big chunk of the 3rd party potential sales, but there are companies like Ubisoft that have been doing pretty good with the Wii, proof is their continued support with games that are not necessarely casual. Sega has done well too. Capcom took a different route but they still have a strong offering for the wii (i'm thinking of the successfull rail shooters of the RE brand).

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Third parties just don't get it, Wii gamers like quality first party game, we have Nintendo, so all that stuff that PS360 fans are willing to stomach just won't fly on the Wii, you want to sell on the Wii you have to be as good or better than Nintendo, you have to bring the fun

Fixed

I suppose Zak and Wiki, NMH, Mad World... aren't 'quality'? Correct me if I'm wrong here.

I actually own all three of those games. They are quality games, they are also niche titles. When's the last time a point and click title saw a retail release before Zack & Wiki? No More Heroes is the highest selling game Suda 51 has ever produced. Mad World's has a unique artstyle and like Okami and Killer 7 on PS2. It didn't catch on.

I was sipping on some tea, and I just laughed when I saw the title "we need to talk about it". IDK why, I just got the image of some dad and son moment.

Carl2291 said:
As i said in the other thread...

"Dead Space: Extraction is at 83 on Metacritic right now. Not bad quality for a "test" game.

Infact by review's it's of higher quality than Wii Sports Resort, Muramasa:TDB, Mario Kart Wii, Mad World, Wii Fit, House of the Dead: Overkill and The Conduit."

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/post.php?id=2736647

and the fact that all these games have below 83 at metacritic shows how fair reviews are to wii games...

Review scores are meaningless when it comes to the Wii, they should just do a Yes/No advice cause they have a hard time being objective (find me a Wii IGN review without the word "Waggle" in it...)

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

kingofwale said:
amp316 said:

A good game should sell because it's a GOOD game, Can't speak for any other system, but Demon Soul, Folklore.. all sold respectable based ONLY on the product itself.

And when it comes to that. the developer of LBP, only made 1 game, and it sold incredible based on hype and final product.

on the same coin, Lair, extremely hyped game from a respectable studio. Flipped because the final product sucked.

My point is that the Conduit didn't deserve that sort of hype.  That's all.  Considering the size of the studio that it was made, the sales really aren't that bad.  It's sold over 250 K. 

LBP had A LOT MORE hype so let's not compare those two.  I couldn't turn on my television without seeing Sackboy.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

kingofwale said:
hsrob said:
kingofwale said:
I get it when people say it's ON RAIL game. I really do.

but how do you explain the failure of The Conduit? The game is hyped as AAA title by MANY MANY people here (Please, if you did, just admit it), and frankly, I can easily pull up many threads here with people predicting 2+ million LTD sales figure.

I think the better question is... who here said they would buy this game FIRST-DAY and didn't..

and frankly, why not? the game is no AAA, but it's far better than 90% of other Wii games out there.

One can't argue against the general quality of games on the Wii using Metacritic and then turn around and ignore it when they are trying to make an argument about "quality" core games that don't sell on the Wii.

If your statement is made based on your own personal impressions of the game, then fair enough (this comment isn't really directed at you) but currently, according to Metacritic, there are 190 games rated higher than The Conduit.  It was hyped as being a potentially AAA game but it clearly fell significantly short in the eyes of most critics and among people who vote with their wallets.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/the-divnich-debrief-37-of-wii-games-unreviewed/

stated that close to 40% of wii games are not even reviewed, and we all know only trash games go unreviewed. that would put the total amount of Wii games in around 1000, making The Conduit top 20%.

to me, Conduit = Haze

Both excuses, both Hailed as AAA, both highly hyped... Funny enough, Haze sold 3 times as well, in a much smaller userbase.

That's actually an interesting point but still, given that it has a Meta rating of 67% it can hardly be held up as a shining example of a game that should have or really deserved to sell better. 190 games with higher reviews is still alot.

I don't think any reasonable people are claiming that core games sell as well or better on the Wii than other systems, i'm certainly not.  I just refute the point blank statement that third party core games don't sell on the basis that we simply haven't seen enough of them of sufficient quality to make that conclusion.