By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Buy Xbox 360 HD-DVD, get 9 HD-DVDs for free!

For anyone else considering buying the HD-DVD deal, Best Buy is now aware of the issue. Call customer service and they will handle it promptly. There is now an entry in their computer system that says the Xbox 360 HD-DVD player was inadvertently left off the list of qualifying players, but it does, in fact, qualify. There is a scan of the actual computer report floating around the net. I'll try to find it again if someone needs it to make their purchase...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

I just came back from Best Buy and 360 HD DVD player does qualify.   I didn't have to fight with the cashier or the manager, actually the assistant manager is the one that get everything for me and told me to go pick out any two HD DVD movie.  Everything rang up and the 2 HDDVD and Hero set get removed.

I am watching TF right now and it sure blow away DVD version I just watch the other day (upconvert to 1080P and it still no comparison to HDDVD).  The sound is also much better on HD DVD.

Great deal but here I am stuck with one format *sigh*  I wish both camp would get over this crap and have a joint format.

I don't buy that many movie anyway but this deal is so good I can't pass it up.  (not to mention my brother with his PS3 alwasy taunt me with his blu-ray player)

mysticD

Actually, after the snafu, as KN stated, Best Buy has issued a directive to give the 2 free HD-DVDs too to customers. Now, the backlash will be if they don't honor the guys who bought it before ... hmmmm.

Look at it like this, mysticD. You have the movies - even if this format loses, you still have the movies, regardless. It's not like the entire 360 will be dead - just the drive. And judging from how great the HD-DVD version of Transformers sold, I think you'll see more companies publishing HD-DVD. This fight is far from over ...

I was at Best Buy last night getting the new kubrick hds and saw a guy picking up a X360 add on. A rep actually came up and told him about the bonus 2 free HD DVD's. Apparently he hadn't heard the info on the internet as he was only purchasing the drive + heroes. Thought it was kinda cool of the sales rep to do that especially hearing the hassle some of you guys had to go through.

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection

@madskillz

Yes, I figure for $180.00 I get 8 movies (granted those 5 free one are pretty lame for the most part) and a box set (I would rather have Battlestar than Heroes) even if the format die a year from now it still worth the money.  Though looking at catalog, I just can't see HD camp overcome Blu-ray as far as studio support.   I was pretty happy with upscale DVD but some old title just do not upscale well at all.

Around the Network

I didn't go back in and get the deal. I had one in hand and Best Buy had a customer on an "impulse buy". In the end, I'm sort of glad they pulled the plug on me as when I came home and did a bit more research, I've discovered one thing is true: Content is King and that is why the 360 is currently owning the PS3....

The ONLY movies I buy are ones that everyone in the house can watch -- i.e. PG13 or less... What I want are Dreamworks titles, Pixar, a *handful* of Disney films and and documentaries like the BBC/Discovery channel's blue planet. The content is spread across both Blu Ray and HD-DVD but most of it isn't even on the release schedule...

If either format wanted to win this war, instead of focusing so much on price and such, they should focus on the library. Get the older "hits" out there. Shrek, Ice Age, The Incredibles, and so on... Even if Toshiba had to spend money to help the studio re-master and burn the media, that would be worth the investment as it will drive people outside the hardcore fringe to take the dive....

I'm just going to sit on the sidelines a while longer and just get an upconverter...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

I just want to say, that I told y'all so. Nobody ever listens to me... lol

Fishynads, how is that upscaled DVD player of yours with failed-format extras working out for you?

can somebody say...DESPARATION!!!

HAHAHA i had a good laugh reading this.