By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Buy Xbox 360 HD-DVD, get 9 HD-DVDs for free!

twesterm said:
madskillz said:
LOL ... I haven't tried that yet. I do know that interactive stuff has to download and your firmware has to be updated. Once that happens, check back.

Yeah, HD is pretty sweet - looks just as good as my HD channels on my Dish HD DVR.

As far as I know everything is updated. I ran the CD update and it did another update when I ran King Kong. I'm really going to be incredibly upset if this thing can't do something as simple as remember where I left off.

So, you are keeping King Kong? I wasn't a big fan of it. I would love to trade it for any of the Bourne movies.

It's funny - yesterday, I was looking at my DVDs - now, I am surfing the Web looking for HD-DVDs ... even if it comes in second, it's still sweet. 

Around the Network

I'll likely sell King Kong, but I figured I might as well watch since I'll be trading it Movie Trading Company and it will get the same price whether I watch 0 times or 100 times (assuming I keep it in good condition).

-edit-
And that blows that it just doesn't remember where you left off like a DVD player does. I don't think I've ever seen a DVD player that didn't do that, even the crappy $80 dollar ones six years ago even remember where you were.

-edit #2-
And I found the bookmark feature on accident (B button I believe) so I suppose I'll just have to get use to using that).

Just tried it on Transformers; you can indeed bookmark a scene to come back to, but it is accessed through the scene selection menu. This would suggest that you normally have to wait for the main menu to load first.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

If you want a fantastic-looking HD-DVD, check out Aeon Flux. Not a great movie, but it looks spectacular. I think it's one of the current freebies, too...

Hates Nomura.

@madskillz:

You are likely already aware of it, but if not, this site is your new best friend:

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/

Hates Nomura.

Around the Network

@ GooseGaws

Dang ... you are too good to me!

It sure is nice to finally see some others on this forum that own HD DVD thought I was the only one. I guess with all the great deals going on it's hard to pass it up. Anyways hope everyone enjoys their new HD players.

Anyone else take advantage of this deal?

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

twesterm said:
Motherfucker.

So I plugged in my HD-DVD player tonight and started watching King Kong. There definitely is a noticeable difference and it is nice. I was actually quite surprised and quite happy. Anyways, about an hour into the movie I had to get up for a while and do a few things so I just turned my 360 off.

When I came back I expected to just turn on my 360 and start the HD-DVD and it would start up where I left off like my DVD's normally do. Boy was I surprised when I had to sit through the annoying animated menu and Universal splash and skip around to find my spot.

I was mad for a minute or two and then decided that maybe it didn't remember where I was because maybe King Kong was a pretty early HD-DVD and it just didn't have that simple capability that DVD's always had for some reason. So I pop in Transformers. I sit there for a minute or two while it says it's reading. I sit there a few more minutes while it says it's reading and decide somethings not right. I try a few different thing and nothing works.

Right as I'm about to start get really angry I open the case and notice I put in disc 2. I pop in disc 1 hoping it works (since I don't give a flip about special features) and the movie comes up fine. Yay! So I get about a minute into the movie and turn it off and on to see if it remembers my positions. No.

What the hell? Remembering where you left off when you press stop or power off the player is something that has been around since first generation DVD players so why the fuck does my HD-DVD player not have this? It has every other feature I don't care about but not this one simple feature that is one of the most important features to me.

Somebody who has the 360 HD-DVD addon please tell me that hopefully mine just isn't working right and I don't have to lose all faith in this device.

twesterm:

Unfortunatly HD DVD players and Blu Ray players both fail to support this feature. It threw me back the first time I noticed this too. I'm not sure the exact reasoning behind it but it's not there. The alternative like a few posters said earlier is that you can save bookmark scenes and go back to them later. Usually the "B" button on the remote will bookmark a scene then you can go back and start the scene from scene menu. Also be sure to check out some of the add-on features for the movies. King Kong is a little slim but titles like Batman Begins and Transformers are pretty fun to play around with. I was never an extra watcher on DVD (even though I own a rather large collection of Criterions) but have been pretty pleased with the few HD's that I own.

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection

Also any FMJ fans I would strongly suggest staying away from the HD version given away in the promotion. The transfer on that is probably one of the worst hi-def ones yet. The new remastered Warner copy is much better but sadly not included in the 5 free.

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection