By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Buy Xbox 360 HD-DVD, get 9 HD-DVDs for free!

Astrodust said:
twesterm said:
And I should add that I still think the format war sucks ball just as much as I did before and now the only thing that's changed is I'm obviously rooting for one side over the other. :-p

(Despite what people may have thought, I honestly didn't care if BluRay or HD-DVD won)

Ya where at first I thought BD would easily win the format war, now I have to give HD-DVD the edge. Also another fun movie for HD-DVD is the Matrix Trilogy. It still looks good.

I saw that today and then I saw the $89 price tag.  >_>

That's on my want list, but damn that's a lot of money and I just spent a lot of money. 

Around the Network

@twesterm:

Just wait until they're released individually, only the first is worth buying anyway (although the second and third would admittedly benefit from a HD presentation).

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Don't have a 360, but went early Sunday morning and grabbed the HD DVD addon with heroes. Coudlnt' get the two additional hd dvds tho. but 6 hd dvds + heroes for free, good deal, good deal. May auction off the drive, or use it as external hd dvd drive for my 17" HP laptop. :)

Currently loving my Wii x2, Xbox 360 Pro & Xbox 360 Arcade, and Final Fantasy 7 Advent Children Limited "Cloud Black" 160GB PS3

GAMEFLY & GOOZEX FTW

I fought tooth and nail ... but got the 9-HD-DVD deal. As twestern stated, I had to call corporate and they right off the bat said they would honor. The ordeal took like 10 minutes, very similar to twestern.

For me, though, it was the last HD-DVD on the shelf, so I snagged it and immediately grabbed Tformers but had trouble figuring out what I wanted next. I went with 300 because I didn't have it and the other three I wanted - Top Gun, Warriors and V for Vendetta - were in my DVD collection.

I head up to the register with the last copy of Heroes HD-DVD on the shelf and they rang everything up.

So ... The HD-DVD player ($179)
Heroes Boxset ($99)
Transformers ($29.99)
300 ($34.99)

344.96 plus tax - it was $366.

After she finished, it stated the Heroes DVD was free and it lowered it to like $260. However, the other two HD-DVDs didn't take off. So I told them there was a prob and that two of the HD-DVDs were supposed to be free. The cashier said 'Well, it's not ringing up like the Heroes DVD set rang up.' And I said 'But your ad states ...' and she said 'Excuse me' and called an asst. manager. The cashier was training someone as well.

He walked over and I showed him the ad. After I told him what was going on, he said 'Well, this ad states two HD-DVDs right here' but I pointed him to the print that said 'ANY HD-DVD under $34.99.' So, he looked at it again and said some BS about it being for just that HD player shown - and again I showed him the print. Then, he said they weren't going to honor it at all because it wasn't ringing up like the Heroes boxset. I was like 'This is unacceptable!' I asked to call corporate customer service. Right off the bat, she was apologizing for the incident and said Best Buy WOULD HONOR the ad and give me the HD-DVDs.

They actually made me step aside while I was talking to this Best Buy rep on the phone. She said she'd call the manager and tell him to go with the ad. Sure enough, after a 5 minute wait on the phone, she came back, apologized again and told me the manager WOULD HONOR THE AD. As soon as she said it, the manager was there, the smell of crow ever present. He told the cashier he'd do the override and went back into his office. The cashier apologized and I said 'Hay ... as long as you stand by your word in print, that's all that matters.'

Total for this foolishness? $192.36.

It's a good deal - even if you haven't made a choice yet in the next-gen format war. This boils down to a free HD-DVD drive that can be used on your PC as well.

Call your local Best Buy and see if they have them. I suspect BB will start pulling them after this lil snafu.

kn said:
It did not work for me. They printed an official ad retraction and handed it to me promptly. No amount of arguing was going to make it happen... I'll have to call customer service and complain...

You have to go to the Best Buy in person to get it to work. From twestern's experience, I knew what to except. They won't budge - even if the flier states it. Working at a newspaper has its advantages - I walked into BB with two of their fliers, in case the manager lost it.

But seriously, it's a great deal. I think that Tuesday, even corporate will just give the cold shoulder.

Haven't fired it up yet, but itching to ... 

Around the Network

Man madskillz, the in store people actually apologized to you? I think they hated me because all the high up people were giving the dirtiest looks imaginable (which I returned with an equally dirty look).

Also, it's kind of funny that they were training a cashier while I was there too.

that's a really nice deal... much better then the Blu Ray deal.

twesterm said:
Man madskillz, the in store people actually apologized to you? I think they hated me because all the high up people were giving the dirtiest looks imaginable (which I returned with an equally dirty look).

Also, it's kind of funny that they were training a cashier while I was there too.

Yeah, they did. It was funny. But seriously - it was in print and they really  had no choice but to honor it.

So, I am watching Tformers and it's sweet, and sharp BUT there's lag on my LCD - 22". I am gonna do it on my projector later on and see if I notice the difference.

this is bs i am calling corporate back right now!

where is this forum based? whats up with the timestamp?