By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Buy Xbox 360 HD-DVD, get 9 HD-DVDs for free!

@ KN - aka Fenis
Cool avi yourself

Go to page 20 in the flier - it states 7 free HD-DVDs on ANY HD-DVD player. BR has the same deal - but with just one particular player. I am holding them to their word on this - and if that happens, man, I will be in tha recliner in the MAN SPACE coolin' to some low-fat vanilla yogurt and watching Optimus get his pimp slap on ... LOL

But seriously - the 360 HD-DVD add calls the add-on a player so it's in print and I want it honored.

You're in Round Rock? They have a minor league baseball team, right? Or hockey.

Around the Network
madskillz said:
@ KN - aka Fenis
Cool avi yourself

Go to page 20 in the flier - it states 7 free HD-DVDs on ANY HD-DVD player. BR has the same deal - but with just one particular player. I am holding them to their word on this - and if that happens, man, I will be in tha recliner in the MAN SPACE coolin' to some low-fat vanilla yogurt and watching Optimus get his pimp slap on ... LOL

But seriously - the 360 HD-DVD add calls the add-on a player so it's in print and I want it honored.

You're in Round Rock? They have a minor league baseball team, right? Or hockey.

Yeah, in Round Rock.  We have the Austin Ice Bats which are an Ice Hockey team (minors?  lol, I have no idea) and we have what you are probably referring to -- The Round Rock Express.  They are a minor league team that is the farm club for the Houston Astros.  Ordinarily I wouldn't be interested in Minor League, but Nolan Ryan owns the team and the stadium, The Dell Diamond, is amazing.  The park is arguably the best minor leage park in the country and has repeatedly won awards.  They are extremely involved in the community and are a huge benefit to the Round Rock area... On some Fridays, they turn out the lights after the 7:30 game and put on a fireworks show worth of a big city's 4th of July show... Bud Light sponsors it and it's about 30 minutes of non stop shelling.  If you are ever in the area, let me know ahead of time and I'll get you some tickets...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

kn said:
It is my understanding that HD-DVD is region free and that many "blu-ray exclusives" will be available on HD DVD in other regions not subject to "exclusivity". I'm assuming the same thing in reverse but I believe there are some (minimal) region controls on blu-ray. I doubt imports will ever be cost effective so that may not be an option, but the number of import titles not available in the U.S. is quite large...
Personally I would like to see every studio support both formats completely and let the merits of the hardware and the end users decide the winner. This won't happen, of course, because Sony won't be publishing outside of Blu ray and they have some pretty solid stuff in their library. It would push the next generation into users homes much quicker, though.

you are correct, most blu-ray exclusive can be found on HD-DVD if you're willing to import since the HD-DVD player is region free.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119267051987662923.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Several dozen titles out in the U.S. exclusively on Blu-ray are available overseas on HD DVD. While studios like Sony, News Corp.'s Twentieth Century Fox and Walt Disney Co. tout their unswerving allegiance to Blu-ray stateside, in other countries titles like Sony's "xXx," Fox's "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer" and Disney's "The Prestige" are available on HD DVD.

No overseas travel is necessary to tap into this stream of alternative discs. A visit to a site like amazon.co.uk does the trick, albeit typically at a higher price than in the U.S. For those reluctant to pay shipping costs from Europe or Asia or worried about currency conversions, gray-market U.S.-based sites such as xploitedcinema.com offer selections.

http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/index.php

@ KN

Sweet. I know have heard the name a few times - and yeah, they play the Isotopes here in ABQ.

Nolan Ryan, huh? That dude was the bomb. I wish they had guys like him, Mike Schmitt, Dale Murphy, George Brett ... dang.

On topic, has anyone been to Best Buy yet and tried to get this HD-DVD deal? I have the flier and going there in a few hours. 

@ Kitler

You are my newest best friend ... didn't know that but will definitely be getting stuff from across the pond ... SWEET! Now, if I can just get this deal and work to end - argghhhhh!

Around the Network
madskillz said:

@ KN

Sweet. I know have heard the name a few times - and yeah, they play the Isotopes here in ABQ.

Nolan Ryan, huh? That dude was the bomb. I wish they had guys like him, Mike Schmitt, Dale Murphy, George Brett ... dang.

On topic, has anyone been to Best Buy yet and tried to get this HD-DVD deal? I have the flier and going there in a few hours.

Ok, I found it in the ad.  What I'm seeing is Xbox 360 player with free Heroes DVD. (Total of 1).  Then the 7 DVD Deal -- pick 2 in store right now  (total of 3) plus 5 more in the mail (total of 8), I belive king kong is in the box with the player (total of 9) THEN, what is the "plus get these two bonus HD-DVDs instantly in Box"?  There is a small picture of Bourne and 300...  IN WHAT BOX?  That would be ELEVEN!!!!

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

I hadn't planned on it but I decided that if I could get the deal to work fully I would get it. I went into Best Buy, picked up Heroes, the DVD player, Transformers, and Hot Fuzz and proceeded to the check out. They rung me up and I told them to hold on a second, those two movies were free too. The cashier and I argued for a second and since he didn't want to get caught up (smart guy) he called a manager over.

The manger came out and pointed out the deals and she tried to tell me it didn't work aNd I of course told he it did. I finally made her call the store manager over and he was a general jerk and left it you can call corporate and I'm not arguing with this, you're wrong.

I called up coroporate, lovely bunch of people, and told them that the store wasn't honoring the advertised deal and that the store manager was being rude to me. The guy on the phone was cool, looked it over, and told me he thinks the deal should go through. He called the Best Buy I was at and told me to go over there while he talked to the store manager.

As I walked in and picked up the same bundle and brought it to the same cashier another guy proceeded to tell me I was wrong and thought pointing out the deals would make me go away. I told him to be quiet since I was on the phone with coroprate and that they just got finished telling me the deal does in fact work. He tried to point the deals out again and I of course ignored him completely. A good 10-ish minutes later, I'm walking out of the store with the complete bundle for about $194 (tax) and a couple of dirty looks.

Too bad this offer isn't available in Canada otherwise I would so go for it.

And I should add that I still think the format war sucks ball just as much as I did before and now the only thing that's changed is I'm obviously rooting for one side over the other. :-p

(Despite what people may have thought, I honestly didn't care if BluRay or HD-DVD won)

twesterm said:
And I should add that I still think the format war sucks ball just as much as I did before and now the only thing that's changed is I'm obviously rooting for one side over the other. :-p

(Despite what people may have thought, I honestly didn't care if BluRay or HD-DVD won)

Ya where at first I thought BD would easily win the format war, now I have to give HD-DVD the edge. Also another fun movie for HD-DVD is the Matrix Trilogy. It still looks good.