By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Buy Xbox 360 HD-DVD, get 9 HD-DVDs for free!

woooohoooooo. just got off the phone with bestbuy!!! they WILL now honor it at the store! YES... i appreciate all the updates guys, going to get my 70$ worth of hd dvds!!!

Around the Network
ripper said:
woooohoooooo. just got off the phone with bestbuy!!! they WILL now honor it at the store! YES... i appreciate all the updates guys, going to get my 70$ worth of hd dvds!!!

Dude ... total value of this deal is over $300 actually. Add it up - HD-DVDs at $24.99 and you get 8 of them - plus the $99 Heroes - and that's actually $300 in free movies. And to think - I was this close from buying a used one at Gamestop. HAAHAHAHAHA!!!!! 

twesterm said:
Man madskillz, the in store people actually apologized to you? I think they hated me because all the high up people were giving the dirtiest looks imaginable (which I returned with an equally dirty look).

Also, it's kind of funny that they were training a cashier while I was there too.

Hmmm ... dirty looks. I know the manager was like 'Dang ... that's one smart brotha ...' but he wasn't happy. He said the words, but his heart wasn't in it. So what ... I am about to flip my Heroes Boxset and King Kong - who cares about that crap?

I am in the HD age now, ya'll ... 

i was just referring to the two i got tonight, transformers and tmnt (i have 3 kids) it was the same Beeeyatch from yesterday that wouldn't let me have the deal, she took it personal that i came back and was a total B#TCH... i called corporate to let them know that too!

ripper said:
i was just referring to the two i got tonight, transformers and tmnt (i have 3 kids) it was the same Beeeyatch from yesterday that wouldn't let me have the deal, she took it personal that i came back and was a total B#TCH... i called corporate to let them know that too!

Ahhh, that sucks. Corporate was cordial and I can imagine they had a few choice words for the manager. But ... my son loved Transformers. I don't see why someone wouldn't like the movie. It took me back to the 6th grade ... I love Optimus Prime - roll out!

I got 300 - I am gonna watch a wii bit of it. Doing some checking on eBay for the Heroes Boxset and King Kong.

For folks who got this deal or another HD-DVD/BR free disk deal, what did you all get?

Around the Network

Motherfucker.

So I plugged in my HD-DVD player tonight and started watching King Kong. There definitely is a noticeable difference and it is nice. I was actually quite surprised and quite happy. Anyways, about an hour into the movie I had to get up for a while and do a few things so I just turned my 360 off.

When I came back I expected to just turn on my 360 and start the HD-DVD and it would start up where I left off like my DVD's normally do. Boy was I surprised when I had to sit through the annoying animated menu and Universal splash and skip around to find my spot.

I was mad for a minute or two and then decided that maybe it didn't remember where I was because maybe King Kong was a pretty early HD-DVD and it just didn't have that simple capability that DVD's always had for some reason. So I pop in Transformers. I sit there for a minute or two while it says it's reading. I sit there a few more minutes while it says it's reading and decide somethings not right. I try a few different thing and nothing works.

Right as I'm about to start get really angry I open the case and notice I put in disc 2. I pop in disc 1 hoping it works (since I don't give a flip about special features) and the movie comes up fine. Yay! So I get about a minute into the movie and turn it off and on to see if it remembers my positions. No.

What the hell? Remembering where you left off when you press stop or power off the player is something that has been around since first generation DVD players so why the fuck does my HD-DVD player not have this? It has every other feature I don't care about but not this one simple feature that is one of the most important features to me.

Somebody who has the 360 HD-DVD addon please tell me that hopefully mine just isn't working right and I don't have to lose all faith in this device.

LOL ... I haven't tried that yet. I do know that interactive stuff has to download and your firmware has to be updated. Once that happens, check back.

Yeah, HD is pretty sweet - looks just as good as my HD channels on my Dish HD DVR.

madskillz said:
LOL ... I haven't tried that yet. I do know that interactive stuff has to download and your firmware has to be updated. Once that happens, check back.

Yeah, HD is pretty sweet - looks just as good as my HD channels on my Dish HD DVR.

As far as I know everything is updated.  I ran the CD update and it did another update when I ran King Kong.  I'm really going to be incredibly upset if this thing can't do something as simple as remember where I left off.

i actually think it looks BETTER than my hd on direct tv!!  maybe cause of bandwith issues?

@twesterm:

Actually, a lot of regular DVD players don't support that feature. Anyway, in terms of HD-DVD's, many of them have a bookmark feature that will allow you to resume where you left off (or view a favorite scene), but I believe they are on a disc-specific basis. Also, I don't know if it still requires you to watch the opening splash screens and what-not. I have a bunch of HD-DVD's, but I've never actually tried this feature out...

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.