By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Buy Xbox 360 HD-DVD, get 9 HD-DVDs for free!

kn said:
Anyone else take advantage of this deal?

No, But i picked up a used one on Monday!  It came with king kong and Letters from IWO JIMA, and i bought smokin Aces  used for it.  Got all of it for about 150.  I'm impressed with the picture quality, I never really got into dvd, i always bought on Vhs up until then end of it 2005 so i only have a hand full of dvds.

Hello World

Around the Network

Man ... for $40 more, you could have gotten a brand new one with a warranty - brand new copies of your movies plus the Heroes boxset and 5 movies you could resell. I was inches away from buying a used one from Gamestop just weeks earlier. I wanted the 5 free HD-DVDs, but just passed. I am glad I did ... but welcome to the club.

I will admit - after I got my HD projector and watched DVDs, I was sold on keeping my DVD collection growing and not worrying about the HD revolution.

However, after getting the HD-DVD deal yesterday and oogling over Transformers, I put in 'The Matrix' to see if I could tell the difference. The answer? YES. It's a huge difference.

I am truly amazed - I can't wait to see it on my projector.

madskillz said:
Man ... for $40 more, you could have gotten a brand new one with a warranty - brand new copies of your movies plus the Heroes boxset and 5 movies you could resell. I was inches away from buying a used one from Gamestop just weeks earlier. I wanted the 5 free HD-DVDs, but just passed. I am glad I did ... but welcome to the club.

I will admit - after I got my HD projector and watched DVDs, I was sold on keeping my DVD collection growing and not worrying about the HD revolution.

However, after getting the HD-DVD deal yesterday and oogling over Transformers, I put in 'The Matrix' to see if I could tell the difference. The answer? YES. It's a huge difference.

Yeah, I really didn't expect to see the jump in quality like I did.  I thought it was going to be pretty minor and not something I noticeexcept for really stunning scenes but having the HD player really made a large noticeable difference.

twesterm said:
madskillz said:

Yeah, I really didn't expect to see the jump in quality like I did. I thought it was going to be pretty minor and not something I noticeexcept for really stunning scenes but having the HD player really made a large noticeable difference.

Have you visited that hi-def site Goosegaws posted? I am gonna try and pick up some really cheap movies off of there. With the jump in quality, as much as I love movies, I am really doing some re-examining of my DVD collection.

I know I want The Matrix, all of the Bournes, V for Vendetta and a few others. I can't wait to see The Kingdom in HD. 

I wanted to make the jump to HD, but never felt like being on the losing side, like you twestern. But now after I got the deal, I am like 'You know, does it matter?' I am watching movies the way they should be watched and got tons of HD-DVDs in the process. Who could ask for more?! 

Yeah, I saw the list and I'm going to get some of those I'm just low on spending money at the moment so it's going to have to wait. Luckily I'm pretty sure Netflix has HD-DVD (haven't looked in a while) so if they do I'll have to redo my queue a lot but it will be worth it. ^^

Around the Network

Could still always buy one and sell it on ebay and keep the movies :)

Hello World

netflix has TONS of hd movies!! hd is kick ass

It's always a good idea to read a review or two before purchasing a new HD-DVD. Transfer quality is not always as good as it should be, and companies may be using years-old masters as the source material instead of producing a new master (particularly for catalog titles). I was interested in purchasing Dragonheart on HD-DVD, but when I found out that the transfer was barely an improvement over the standard DVD, I decided against a purchase. Just be careful you don't get stuck with a disappointing disc. This is rarely a problem with new movies, of course.

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

I agree, GooseGaws. I love Blazing Saddles, but I would never get it on HD. It's only a wii bit better. Now, V for Vendetta, The Kingdom and Bourne Ultimatium? Yessir ...

You would be surprised at some of the older flicks and how well they looked. I have both the older Superman movies (I and II) and was amazed at how much better even they were. I got the recent huge DVD collectors edition last x-mas and was impressed with how much of a difference an older film can look. Casablanca was one of the original 5 free movies I got as well and it looks absolutely incredible in HD. Like GooseGaws said though, reading some of the reviews is a good idea, there are some stinkers on both formats.

I jumped into HD before the big paramount dreamworks announcement and was worried about the longevity of the format too. But the deals at the time (5 free + King Kong) I couldn't pass it up. I have it down for X-mas that I want to get a new standalone player now. My DVD player just died and the Toshiba's also happen to be some of the best upscaling DVD players out.

Netflix has just about every HD movie available now but I will warn you that the demand for the HD formats is picking up and I've had some long waits for a few movies.  Especially the new releases.  I still haven't gotten Knocked up from them and it's been on the Quene since a few weeks before release.

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection