By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 exclusives, best graphics on any console?

Icyedge said:
Garnett said:

@icycedge

your right, even tho the 360 has a better GPU, It cannot do simple task such as snow and smoke oh and wind, Gears 2 made 360 RROD, Uncharted 2 = impossible just like Lair, Uncharted 1, MGS4,Resistance 1 & 2 and infamous oh and the oh so famous KZ2. If that is really more than the 360 can do im very sad that i paid $400 for SLIGHTLY better graphics. 

Dont you guys think these devs are just pulling your legs with the hole "only possible on "system BS. Uncharted 2 = 100% of the PS3 power, that means NO future games will look bette.

Ill take for granted you did not play the game, yeah it simple task, but its all at the same time, with incredible texture resolution and background, no loading, screen tearing, lag... Play it, and come back here and tell me theres a game that look like that right now.

Agreed--

Even after seeing all the trailers, screenshots, press releases, etc. about this game, I am still blown away by what I'm seeing on my TV when playing Uncharted 2.  I am quite convinced that my 360 can't do this.  I could be wrong, but if I am, let's see the games.  That's not to say that the 360 doesn't have worthy graphics.  Fight Night Round 4 looks absolutely stunning on my 360, and Forza 3 will look good too, but I don't think the 360 can take those kind of graphics and put them into huge environments the way the PS3 can.

For example, I think the 360 could handle the character models in Uncharted 2, but I don't think it could handle putting them in an environment that looks just as life like as the characters and then add all the amazing special effects, sound, and voice work over the top of that.  You would probably need a ridiculous amount of disc swaps (not that disc swaps are that big of a deal) and you would need a really rare quality of developer such as Naughty Dog to handle making the game for you.  Microsoft really doesn't have those types of developers these days. 

I'm really starting to change my tune about this PS3 thingy that I bought a couple of months ago.  If you're one of the people who is crapping all over Uncharted 2 simply because it's getting a lot of hype, then you just haven't played it.  If you play it, your attitude will change.  This is the first heavily hyped game in a long time that actually EXCEEDS the hype. 

Around the Network
LF-A said:
Ps3 wins hands down, this thread is pointless.

Old Uncharted1 beats anything on 360. U2 kills it.

Gears 2 and Forza 3 both look much better than Uncharted 1 and MGS4. Trust me, MGS4's textures weren't all that.

Now yes, Uncharted 2 is the console graphics king atm. So yes.

If you claim you haven't seen anything "close" to a PS3 exclusive, then you haven't played Forza 3 or Gears 2.

I sense a lot of hostility in this thread.

For now though, Uncharted 2 looks like shit compared to some Crysis mods. However, I think GT5 might step this console gen up a notch graphically.

I'd say that the HD twins are so close to each other, it's hard to tell a difference, even at the top exclusive level. IE Forza 3 vs KZ2, ect. :P

This gen so far, I'd say...

Crysis > Uncharted 2 > Forza 3 > KZ2 > Gears 2 > Uncharted 1 > MGS4 > everything else

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I would agree the PS3 exclusives have the superior visuals. Its not a significant enough difference for me to care though.

Having just replayed all of MGS4, I can honestly say, Mr. ZenFolder, that your inequalities are wrong. Find a game on the 360 with better character models than MGS4.

MGS4 is definitely not on the bottom of that list. I mean, it did win Best Graphics of the Year in 2008...the year Gears 2 came out. Just an FYI

BMaker11 said:
Having just replayed all of MGS4, I can honestly say, Mr. ZenFolder, that your inequalities are wrong. Find a game on the 360 with better character models than MGS4.

MGS4 is definitely not on the bottom of that list. I mean, it did win Best Graphics of the Year in 2008...the year Gears 2 came out. Just an FYI

Sometimes it did. Some other media outlets, like gametrailers for example, rated Gears Of War II the best. Either way, it is up there with the worst of the best PS3 exclusives. Forza too.

Around the Network

@ zenfoldor:

Oh please! U wanna nit-pick and bash MGS4 textures but @ the same time u praise Forza 3's? Get real, that game truly looks last gen compared to GT5, especially in the textures department.

... and about Gears 2, yes, I've played the game (and liked it very much btw), and u can keep telling 2 urself that it has better graphics than MGS4 if it makes u happy, but that is not the case at all. "OVERALL", MGS4 also has better graphics than Uncharted 1.

Since u wanna talk about game textures so much, take a really close look at some of the threes in Gears 2, I've seen better models in Cruis'n USA.

This is how it really goes...

KZ2 > MGS4 > Siren > GoW2 > Uncharted 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Forza 3

legendarysaiyanbroly said:
@ zenfoldor:

Oh please! U wanna nit-pick and bash MGS4 textures but @ the same time u praise Forza 3's? Get real, that game truly looks last gen compared to GT5, especially in the textures department.

... and about Gears 2, yes, I've played the game (and liked it very much btw), and u can keep telling 2 urself that it has better graphics than MGS4 if it makes u happy, but that is not the case at all. "OVERALL", MGS4 also has better graphics than Uncharted 1.

Since u wanna talk about game textures so much, take a really close look at some of the threes in Gears 2, I've seen better models in Cruis'n USA.

This is how it really goes...

KZ2 > MGS4 > Siren > GoW2 > Uncharted 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Forza 3

O.K., here's a more complete list: 

KZ2 > Heavy Rain > Uncharted 2 > MGS4 > Siren > GoW2 > GoW1/Uncharted 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> FM3

ZenfoldorVGI said:
LF-A said:

Gears 2 and Forza 3 both look much better than Uncharted 1 and MGS4. Trust me, MGS4's textures weren't all that.

If you claim you haven't seen anything "close" to a PS3 exclusive, then you haven't played Forza 3 or Gears 2.

For now though, Uncharted 2 looks like shit compared to some Crysis mods. However, I think GT5 might step this console gen up a notch graphically.

I'd say that the HD twins are so close to each other, it's hard to tell a difference, even at the top exclusive level. IE Forza 3 vs KZ2, ect. :P

Crysis > Uncharted 2 > Forza 3 > KZ2 > Gears 2 > Uncharted 1 > MGS4 > everything else

Lame post. MGS4 looks far better than Forza 3 and Gears 2.

Its sad to see posts like this, really.

MGS4 is still only bested by Killzone 2 and uncharted 2.

You cannot compare a racing game to MGS4, there is almost _nothing_ going on in Forza 3 to merit that.

Gears 2 is the unreal 3 engine, and while YES some of the environments were more detailed, the ludacris pop-in and bland textures are far worse than what is seen in MGS4.

It makes me sick and tired when people use the same few screenshots of LEDGES in RANDOM buildings in MGS4 as comparisons of its graphics.

Take screenshots of the characters, of the main structures, of the fucking boat at the end, of rex, of the explosions?

IT just makes me tired to see people not appreciate the GAMES

I don't care about the console, its about the DEVELOPERS and the SKILLS of them.
If 90% of microsofts team didn't focus soley on unreal 3 you'd see better games.

How many first party engines do we have for the PS3?

From Softwares Demon Soul's Engine
Naughty Dog 2.0
Insomniacs Engine
Quantic Dream Proprietary Engine

Motorstorm Engine
Polyphony Digitals engine
The White-Eagle square enix engine (while on 360 as well, an engine that is designed to use the ps3s spus specifically for whatever reason counts as a PS3 engine, most devs do NOT do this.)

Gureilla Games Proprietary Engine

Team Ico Proprietary Engine
Sucker Punch Engine

God of War 3 Engine

Konami's MGS4 Engine

Level-5 and JAPANStudio's Engine

You'll notice something here, almost every first party ( and 3rd party in some cases) Have unique engines designed specifically for that hardware.

That is why PS3 games look better. It's the engines being designed for the systems and a NEW approach to software design.

With the 360 you cannot offload all of your physics etc to SPUs.

This Systematic Offloading of calculations away from the RSX to the CBE is what makes games like uncharted 2 look so good, this is not possible on the 360.

While the 360s video card is slightly better, when you program properly and take advantage of the SPUs the end result is impossible to duplicated on the 360.

Combine that with 50gig disc space on dual layered Blu-ray and you are totally blowing the 360 out of the water with stored texture sizes.

PS3 development is only going UP from here. Sucker Punches next game will be a quantic leap from what it is now.
Uncharted 3 will look significantly better.

PD's GT5 will be the most realistic looking game in history.

Show me a single game on the xbox 360 that can touch this and maintain this frame rate.

CAUTION: HUGE MGS4 spoilers, and a very sad scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCytmtk6Sxg&feature=related

watch in HD

UC2 so far is the most impressive console game to date imo, the graphics engine, art design, physics engine, are all top notch, on top of a really good single player experience and a pretty damn polished multiplayer side to it. ND really has outdone themselves this time around, it's not often that I get impressed by a console game.

inverted3reality said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
LF-A said:

Show me a single game on the xbox 360 that can touch this and maintain this frame rate.

CAUTION: HUGE MGS4 spoilers, and a very sad scene.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCytmtk6Sxg&feature=related

watch in HD

a side note, the only thing I really remember about MGS4 is that I was laughing my ass off to stuff like this a lot, the beauties were hot when I layed on the ground for them to ride me around, and I fkn hated Kojima for making me press the triangle button a million times non stop during that stuff you posted.

and I don't know what you are talking about when you say good graphics in MGS4, just look at this ingame video, horrible =P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL1nBwZsPik