By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS3 exclusives, best graphics on any console?

Domicinator said:
starcraft said:
@ Domicinator

Then disagree we shall. I have spent a substantial amount of time with both games, and recently (one after the other in fact). As I said earlier, there is a definite advantage to Uncharted 2, but it just isn't a substantial one. Certainly not in any game-changing, console-war-shifting way. It could easily be explained by a year having passed.

I can't tell if the buyer's remorse comments are directed at me or not. I tend to agree with you in general though, on the point that people who shell out large amounts of cash for a console will defend it with sometimes irrational arguments. But I own all three, and my most recent purchase was a PS3 (that I got right BEFORE price drop rumours lol) so if I were to have buyers remorse right now it would be going in the opposite direction.

Not pointing anything at you directly, starcraft.  :)  I think you and I usually see eye to eye on most things.

And I do agree with you--It's been almost a full year since Gears 2 came out, and Gears 2 was built on an already aging Unreal Engine 3.  It's only natural that Uncharted 2 looks better.  I think that we're just not on the same page as to exactly how MUCH better.  I actually do think it's substantial.

I also agree that it is substantial. Not only graphically but also technically. But I also agree usually graphic are not that important.

Around the Network
themanwithnoname said:
Badassbab said:
alanshearer-

PS3 exclusives a generation ahead? Ahead we can accept but a whole generation? Are you serious?

I agree with this. I will also add that I've never played a game and thought to myself "gee, this game would be so much better if the graphics were better!" Good graphics are nice, and the PS3 is probably capable of producing better graphics, but the way people obsess over them on this site is beyond ridiculous.

That, my friend, is unfortunately because people to this day fight over which console can produce better graphics, and are desperate to prove their point by any means possible.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

.....actually, a lot of Uncharted 2's cutscenes (even though they are indistinguishable from the ones running off of the hardware) are pre-recorded. If you wanna see for yourself, have any weapon other than a pistol or try playing with a different character skin. You'll be able to tell which is which (same technique can be used in MGS4 except EVERYTHING was real time). Still, the best looking console game, hands down, though.

2 games on the PS3 look better than everything else on the 360 so technically the OP is correct with his title. For the record those 2 games in my opinion are Uncharted 2 and Killzone 2. When it comes to visuals of course though there is an element of individual taste so it can never be proven as a definitive fact for all.

It is very fair to say though that the 360 hasn't had as much time and money spent on custom built graphics engines so we might never see if it can top the PS3 again.

Perhaps in another year or so though Crysis may blow both consoles exclusives out of the water.

My graphical favourite this generation by the way is still Bioshock, it might not be as much of a technical marvel as other titles (it runs on a custom UE2.5) but artistically I doubt it will be topped until the sequel.

OP is right, Uncharted 2 is the best game graphically this gen.