By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The vgchartz ranking game--The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

+ Amazingly huge open world
+ Immense length and freedom, you can play for hours or restrict yourself to only a few quests (I've clocked 400+ hrs)
+ Some epic quests (especially the Dark Brotherhood story arc)
+ Capt. Picard & Sean Bean do voices!
+ Lots of different ways to play
+ PC version only: Amazingly huge selection of top quality mods (making the game look better, play better and run better!) and DLC

- Very poor animation
- Bugs galore/poorly optimised engine
- Lacks some of the charm of Morrowind

Around the Network

The shear vastness of the Cyrodiil map was somewhat of a first for me. I loved it, but it was too much of 'nothing'. Very detailed leveling system with countless weapons, spells and spoils in general. For it's time it was a good communication system as well.

However the combat system was too clunky for my liking, most spells were hardly usable unless you choose that path to have greater MP. Quests became repetitive after a while.

9.5/10

Loved it on PC. Still play it nowadays.One of the bets games this gen, for sure.

I totally agree with CGI-Quality - 9.5

I haven't got a lot of VG$, but thought I had to bring my 2 cents to the table.

I LOVE this game... sometimes I would just stare at the scenery and the changing sky palette. It has an astounding amount of detail, and a very fully realised gameworld... I can't wait for a sequel.

Also, as a complete aside, jumping from heights in the game actually gave me vertigo :D.

alipri said:

I totally agree with CGI-Quality - 9.5

I haven't got a lot of VG$, but thought I had to bring my 2 cents to the table.

I LOVE this game... sometimes I would just stare at the scenery and the changing sky palette. It has an astounding amount of detail, and a very fully realised gameworld... I can't wait for a sequel.

Also, as a complete aside, jumping from heights in the game actually gave me vertigo :D.

totally win

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

Probably my favorite game of all time (and I've been gaming since the NES). I grew up on RPGs, but got bored of turn-based combat about 10 years ago. Oblivion solved that issue, and delivered a huge and beautiful world, to boot.

Well I was most dissipointed with Oblivion! I played Morrowind for hours and hours and when this came out I was excited to say the least. I spend about 10 minutes creating my guy, and I really did enjoy the first part going under the castle. But as soon as that was over it was all downhill. The graphics were plain and muddy, jaggys were everywere. THe game could not run at a steady frame rate to save its life, and the bugs and glitchs were more then enough to ruin what was going to be a grat game for me. The combat was boring at best and the story was throw away, not that it was supposed to win awards for its story though. After the hype and great reviews I feel lke this was the biggest letdown for me so far this gen!

yo_john117 said:
angrypoolman said:
You need to do Metroid Prime 3 and Twilight Princess and Mario Kart Wii and Smash Bros next!

More Wii games.

I have just as many wii games as PS3 games as 360 games.  It goes like this.  360 game/Multiplat/PS3 game/Multiplat/Wii game/Multiplat--and that loops continually.

oh, i see. Thanks for clearing that up/

9.3/10

+Huge open world
+Variety of options
+You can play for a LONG time
+Combat is simple and intuitive
+Great atmosphere
+It's just extremely fun to play and you never want to stop.
+Fast travel

-The AI. Though this isn't really a negative, the glitches are more amusing than anything else.
-Some parts felt a bit overdone: Did they really need so many different weapons and pieces of armour and jewellery?
-It would be nice if your actions had an effect on the world.
-PS3 version got no DLC.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

I sunk a lot of hours into this game, so it's obviously doing something right. At the same time, the story was really lacking and the leveling system was just plain stupid, and these are things which RPGs are supposed to be all about.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.