By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The vgchartz ranking game--The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Slimebeast said:
MikeB said:
8.1 Fantastic and beautiful huge world, improved port for the PS3 (graphics, framerate, extras) and lots of things to do.

Despite improvements running a tad too slow at times, computerized acting performances not convincing (no convincing emotions for example), issues scrolling down inventory lists like for keys, not so good design decisions in places (like for example, stating you have to go back when going off the map instead of providing natural boundaries like mountains or dangerous seas you can't cross, this would be more convincing. Gets repetitive regarding many side quests and encounters.

What do you mean by 'computerized acting performances'? Do u mean the random dialogues between NPCs?

Well about the invisible walls at the map borders, they had to be there cause the world map was set from the first Elder Scrolls game. They can't add new land mass, huge mountains or water.

The game apparently uses the computer speech synthesis method. Early Amiga speech adventures from the mid 80s also suffered from this, basically they used the standard (at the time unique) say program (used for reading out text for people having difficulty reading), saving a lot of space on the 880KB diskette. The emotion expressions were very limited though. The technology has improved since then, but still doesn't come close to using real actors in terms of expression and the same goes for the facial expressions.

And for the borders, you can already look into the distance you can't reach, it's not impossible to use natural borders instead. Like using deadly sea creatures to make sure someone can't pass, or quicksand swamps too dangerous to cross, or too high or slippery icy mountains, etc.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network
MikeB said:
Slimebeast said:
MikeB said:
8.1 Fantastic and beautiful huge world, improved port for the PS3 (graphics, framerate, extras) and lots of things to do.

Despite improvements running a tad too slow at times, computerized acting performances not convincing (no convincing emotions for example), issues scrolling down inventory lists like for keys, not so good design decisions in places (like for example, stating you have to go back when going off the map instead of providing natural boundaries like mountains or dangerous seas you can't cross, this would be more convincing. Gets repetitive regarding many side quests and encounters.

What do you mean by 'computerized acting performances'? Do u mean the random dialogues between NPCs?

Well about the invisible walls at the map borders, they had to be there cause the world map was set from the first Elder Scrolls game. They can't add new land mass, huge mountains or water.

The game apparently uses the computer speech synthesis method. Early Amiga speech adventures from the mid 80s also suffered from this, basically they used the standard (at the time unique) say program (used for reading out text for people having difficulty reading), saving a lot of space on the 880KB diskette. The emotion expressions were very limited though. The technology has improved since then, but still doesn't come close to using real actors in terms of expression.

And for the borders, you can already look into the distance you can't reach, it's not impossible to use natural borders instead. Like using deadly sea creatures to make sure someone can't pass, or quicksand swamps too dangerous to cross, or too high or slippery icy mountains, etc.

LOL! Either you really have faith in computer technology, or Oblivion's voice acting was really bad. Oblivion has nothing of that. All the dialogue is recorded by real life actors.

As I said about the borders. If the game takes place in the province of Cyrodiil and there's just a forest or plains between Cyrodiil and a neighboring province, they can't artificially add something new since the world map was decided many years before Oblivion:

+ So many side quests, really enjoyed the mix between melee and spells in combat, epic world, great graphics and amazing scenery (although a little more variety might have been nice), fantastic customisation options, all came together to make one of my most enjoyable games

- the main story was a bit boring, the dungeons got quite repatitive

As for the music I thought it ranged from inspired to quite boring which was a bit of a shame.

Fame_Mcswagg said:
Can we make a group of random people everygame to look at these claims of disputed scores. It is the only way I can see to make some of the people who complain happy. Just a thought and it might actually be fun

TBH thats alot of hassle lol, but if you guys want to go ahead just let me know all the info.

@slimebeast

The map literally made me cry. Just seeing it and reading various locations reminded me of my adventures in Vvardenfell and Hammerfell...

Around the Network

The music was beautiful!! I could stay for hours in the cities just listening to the music and talking with people and looking at the awesome environnements...It really is the best WRPG of all time.

routsounmanman said:
@slimebeast

The map literally made me cry. Just seeing it and reading various locations reminded me of my adventures in Vvardenfell and Hammerfell...

Haha, cool. You're an old school Elder Scrolls fan then.

routsounmanman said:

- A shadow of Morrowind
- dull world
- campaign is short and the story laughable
- Simplified gamplay mechanics
- transport??? (really ruined the game for me)

I have to disagree with this. If the game didn't have a transport system, it would be incredibly annoying and full of fluff. Spending 10-15 minutes running a different city is annoying when you can do it in two button presses.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

Boutros said:
The music was beautiful!! I could stay for hours in the cities just listening to the music and talking with people and looking at the awesome environnements...It really is the best WRPG of all time.

I live my life to have those moments.

Oblivion is incredibly immersive.

9.2/10

+its huuuuuuuuuuuuuge
+beacutiful music/enviroment
+quests
+factions
+weird but fun glitches
+the Dark Brotherhood (I love every minutes of it)

-even though the main story is insignificant, it's still too shallow and short
-no big monsters
-pussy boss characters are too easy to dispatch