By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The vgchartz ranking game--The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

9/10

-HUGE, immense, impressive, world!

-Great Plot IMO

-Great Character Models, manageable graphics

-Fun Gameplay

-Epic Music

The ultimate con:
-Bugs, bugs, glitches, bugs, glitches, oh yes, bugs.

Around the Network

9.3 IMO. It had a few glitches but it was a very solid game overall

Barozi said:

Of all the people in this thread, I didn't expect you to rate this game down Kylie

Funnier still is that he gave Fallout 3 a 9.6, which has just as much bugs and glitches as this one does.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

5/10

+ Character customisation

- Voice acting save Patrick Stewart
- I tried my best to make a speed character and he still moved PAINFULLY slow
- Not turn based
- Stupid bartering/persuasion system
- Unimpressive graphics
- Controls better suited to mouse/keyboard (console version)

KylieDog said:
themanwithnoname said:
Barozi said:

Of all the people in this thread, I didn't expect you to rate this game down Kylie

Funnier still is that he gave Fallout 3 a 9.6, which has just as much bugs and glitches as this one does.

I've put a lot more hours into Fallout 3 than I have Oblivion and I haven't enountered nearly as many.  Oblivion has many more and the problems with Oblivion bugs is most of them are game breaking, Fallout 3s were not.

I probably spent more time in Oblivion replaying the same parts of game because I needed load an older save to escape a bug than I did playing new parts.

Fallout 3 had a much better leveling/ability system and the world as a whole was better designed.

I keep going back to Oblivion because it has everything in a game that I like but then I always hit a bug and get fed up of replaying what i already done.  Is more annoying when you really get into some parts of it and forget to save for quite a while.

Ever got stuck in rubble on Fallout 3?! Damn annoying!

Around the Network
Seece said:

PC Version has "TCL" so we are lucky.

Seece said:
KylieDog said:
themanwithnoname said:
Barozi said:

I've put a lot more hours into Fallout 3 than I have Oblivion and I haven't enountered nearly as many.  Oblivion has many more and the problems with Oblivion bugs is most of them are game breaking, Fallout 3s were not.

I probably spent more time in Oblivion replaying the same parts of game because I needed load an older save to escape a bug than I did playing new parts.

Fallout 3 had a much better leveling/ability system and the world as a whole was better designed.

I keep going back to Oblivion because it has everything in a game that I like but then I always hit a bug and get fed up of replaying what i already done.  Is more annoying when you really get into some parts of it and forget to save for quite a while.

As is the game crashing multiple times among other things.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

My rating would be as follows:

9.4 for Oblivion only, 9.8 if counting all expansions

+A massive world to explore
+Character Customization and many strategic approaches
+Combat system well implemented
+Atmospheric music which immersed you in the world
+Tons of quests
+Lots of variety, whether on enemy types, ambient, NPC

-Minor graphical glitches
-Easy difficulty overall

Current PC Build

CPU - i7 8700K 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz turbo) 6 cores OC'd to 5.2 GHz with Watercooling (Hydro Series H110i) | MB - Gigabyte Z370 HD3P ATX | Gigabyte GTX 1080ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G (1657 MHz Boost Core / 11010 MHz Memory) | RAM - Corsair DIMM 32GB DDR4, 2400 MHz | PSU - Corsair CX650M (80+ Bronze) 650W | Audio - Asus Essence STX II 7.1 | Monitor - Samsung U28E590D 4K UHD, Freesync, 1 ms, 60 Hz, 28"

7/10

Pros
+Spell creation and Enchanting
+Large open world
+Good replay value

Cons
-Main story is boring
-Where'd the spears go?
-What about those flying spell, too?
-Unbalanced. Some of the classes are useless
-Leveled enemies and loot

I would recommend this game to others but I wouldn't call it a 'must have'. The lack of items and spells from the previous installments bugs me. The spears weren't that important but no flying spell? Sure I can fast travel but that's only to places I've already found. Trying to climb some of the hills and mountains would have been a lot less painful with the spell. The leveled enemies and loot takes away from the experience. You never feel like you're getting ahead.

Slimebeast said:
MikeB said:
Slimebeast said:
MikeB said:
8.1 Fantastic and beautiful huge world, improved port for the PS3 (graphics, framerate, extras) and lots of things to do.

Despite improvements running a tad too slow at times, computerized acting performances not convincing (no convincing emotions for example), issues scrolling down inventory lists like for keys, not so good design decisions in places (like for example, stating you have to go back when going off the map instead of providing natural boundaries like mountains or dangerous seas you can't cross, this would be more convincing. Gets repetitive regarding many side quests and encounters.

What do you mean by 'computerized acting performances'? Do u mean the random dialogues between NPCs?

Well about the invisible walls at the map borders, they had to be there cause the world map was set from the first Elder Scrolls game. They can't add new land mass, huge mountains or water.

The game apparently uses the computer speech synthesis method. Early Amiga speech adventures from the mid 80s also suffered from this, basically they used the standard (at the time unique) say program (used for reading out text for people having difficulty reading), saving a lot of space on the 880KB diskette. The emotion expressions were very limited though. The technology has improved since then, but still doesn't come close to using real actors in terms of expression.

And for the borders, you can already look into the distance you can't reach, it's not impossible to use natural borders instead. Like using deadly sea creatures to make sure someone can't pass, or quicksand swamps too dangerous to cross, or too high or slippery icy mountains, etc.

LOL! Either you really have faith in computer technology, or Oblivion's voice acting was really bad. Oblivion has nothing of that. All the dialogue is recorded by real life actors.

Ok thanks for the clarification and yes it does not sound too impressive:

"Oblivion features the voices of Patrick Stewart, Lynda Carter, Sean Bean, Terence Stamp, Ralph Cosham, and Wes Johnson. The voice acting received mixed reviews in the game press. While many publications characterize its voice acting as excellent, others found fault with its repetitiveness.The issue has been blamed on the small number of voice actors and the blandness of the written dialogue itself. Lead Designer Ken Rolston found the plan to fully voice the game "less flexible, less apt for user projection of his own tone, more constrained for branching, and more trouble for production and disk real estate" than Morrowind's partially recorded dialogue"

So it seems they are using voice modifications instead, probably this is why it sounds so samey and the voice acting isn't that well done.

As for having too much faith in technology, if on a 7 Mhz 1 MB Amiga 500 from the 80s you could have text to speech technology in games like this:

It should be a lot more advanced by now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afcVG5s6DQU (IMO game'graphics look bad for an Amiga 500 game, but that's besides the point)

With some voice modification:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SloFXZLhozI

Say program from 1984/1985 (can do female, male voice with expressions by using symbols like ? or !, etc, here uses monotone computer voice):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzKNFTZ8if4 (this was advanced stuff, considering for example PCs used single-tasking MSDOS and could only beep).

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales