By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Turn 10: "Difficult" to replicate Forza 3

WereKitten said:
selnor said:
WereKitten said:

@Selnor

Link for that "62Hz"? I ask because shouldn't the physics update frequency be a multiple of 60Hz, since that's the graphic update frequency?

BTW: Hz=second^-1 so it's either 62Hz or 62 times/second - they are exactly the same thing, but you shouldn't use them both.

Sorry. Woops. The 2 is right, but for some reason I typed it as 62 instead of 120hrtz. WTF?

To be honest there is no official press release. It's based on calculayions by Sporting websites. For noteing:

RFactor on PC does 420hrtz.

NFS Shift does 120 hertz.

Grid does 60hertz.

FM2 does 360hertz.

Thanks, 120Hz makes more sense.

Btw, in this link the same guy says "we simulate our physics at two hundred and fifty frames per second;"

Of course both could be true, as in having a clock ticking at 360Hz, some physics calculations being performed at each tick while others are not. So basically you'd have some physics models updated at 360Hz, others at 250Hz (weird number, maybe it's a 240Hz rounded to something easier to remember by the listener).

Yeah. It also depends on how much physics is being implented as you say. Just using FM3 as an example, tyre deformation, aero dynamics, reactions, etc are all impressive with the other upgrades visually to like 10 times poly count of 2, 60 fps visuals, 720p, stunning environments. I think it's quite a technical feat. Conider that Rfactor n PC is 420hrtz yet graphically looks like an late dreamcast game.

Around the Network

Maybe Turn 10 are right, the physics engine in FM3 will be superior, GT5 will be graphically superior

Staude said:
selnor said:
Staude said:
selnor said:
Staude said:
selnor said:
inverted3reality said:
RAZurrection said:
inverted3reality said:

Er.. David Jaffe might have a big mouth..

But not once has he ever displayed such complete disregard for morals and respect like this man. He would never call down his competetion like that.

Yeah, he lied about god of war 3 having really impressive graphics.

inverted3reality said:

Im not saying they will, point is, the game isn't out yet. How about we wait?

Still? Forza 2 had the same physics in 2007. If GT5P had it they probably would have played it up.

JerCotter7 said:

Anyone care to explain what 360mhz physics is? And what does GT5:P or NFS use?

Forza 2 & 3's frame rate is 60 frames per second, that's 60 seperate frames of visuals displayed in 1 whole second.

Forza 2 & 3's physics updates 6 times every frame, so in a single screenshot, the physics system would have re-calibrated 6 times.

er.. what?

The only game looking better than god of war 3 right now is uncharted 2. And i'm pretty sure god of war 3 will surpass it when it releases.

Firstly lets be real. GOW3 is no graphics showcase. It certainly is nowhere near top 10 best looking games imo.

2nd to answer the question about physics updates. Forza 3 360hertz, is effectively that Forza 3 updates the physics 360 times every second. For example GT5P updated 62 hertz/second. Basically at 180 mph in the game in 1 second Forza 3 can update the physics every 5 inches. the less updating, the less accurate the physics ( and reaction to the player input. )

Dude. GOD OF WAR 3 looks amazing. You said it was your opinion, so don't let it come out as fact.

The lightning alone in the game is amazing.

Some of the best in any game. You can't deny that this is one of the most beautiful games out there. And at 1080p 60fps none the less..

And 2.. DUDE ! who cares about their ability to update physics 360 times if it sucks ? I mean from what i've seen (now i'm not saying it sucks..) their engine has trouble detecting the bounding boxes of the vehicles leading to clipping issues.

Sorry but I dont see GOW3's graphical wow factor. Looks good but not amazing. :) Anyway GOW is about gameplay.

Also in case you havent noticed Forza 3 is said to be the best physics ever seen on consoles. As well as being better than PC sims according to the excellent Inside SimRacing. A very small number of occasional glitches ( which every game has ) is what you use to hate on  game?

I don't hate. I merely state a fact.

And no GoW is not just about the gameplay. It's also about the graphics and story, both in which it shines. In my opinion. Although you are of a different opinion most associated gaming press disagrees with you.

I'll be honest this is the first time Ive ever heard anyone talk about GOW3 as a graphical masterpiece.

Ive heard U2, LP2, Ac2, AW, GT5, FM3, SCC all impressing. But not GOW3. Sorry. :)

Well I have no doubt that must have been because you haven't been anywhere where any screens were posted after the first original trailer... Including here :)

It's not concept art: New God of War III pics are that pretty

God of War creator David Jaffe once said that the third game in the series looks "like a painting come to life." After seeing the new screens of the game Sony delivered at Gamescom, we're more inclined than ever to agree. The image above may look like a conceptual painting, but one click and you'll see a larger version that you can just tell is in-game. The rest of the batch show off a new helmet-wearing miniboss that Kratos will battle in his war against the gods. Seems a shame to destroy something so fantastic looking, doesn't it?

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/18/its-not-concept-art-new-god-of-war-iii-pics-are-that-pretty/

New God of War III screens look divine

The shots show dark, brooding clouds swirling in the atmosphere with god rays breaking through to give the game a foreboding, apocalyptic edge tinged with some stunning lighting effects.

Other highlights include a glowering, blood-soaked Kratos, a goat-horned demon beast and Kratos sporting a pair of huge black-feathered wings, which is just plain cool.

Kratos is also pictured stabbing a huge Chimera in the chest, which also looks awesome.

So, awesome, cool and apocalyptic it is then. God of War III is fast becoming our most anticipated game of 2010.

March 2010 to be precise is when we should be seeing the gore-laden return of GoW III, delays notwithstanding.

http://play.tm/news/25628/new-god-of-war-iii-screens-look-divine/

Well while I could keep going, I think i've proven my point.

No I was going off gameplay. I have seen nearly all the gameplay footage. Just thought it looked good ( thats not a bad thng ). Just going off forum members. This is the first itme Ive seen anyone put it anywhere near U2. I alos missed Heavy Rain off my list. Personally and from what Ive seen from most forum posters the other games I mentioned have come up alot more often for impressive graphics. Oh and CryEngine 3. :) Just saying, I never ever thought of it as top flight stuff.

selnor said:
Staude said:
selnor said:
Staude said:
selnor said:
Staude said:
selnor said:
inverted3reality said:
RAZurrection said:
inverted3reality said:

But not once has he ever displayed such complete disregard for morals and respect like this man. He would never call down his competetion like that.

inverted3reality said:

Still? Forza 2 had the same physics in 2007. If GT5P had it they probably would have played it up.

JerCotter7 said:

Forza 2 & 3's frame rate is 60 frames per second, that's 60 seperate frames of visuals displayed in 1 whole second.

Forza 2 & 3's physics updates 6 times every frame, so in a single screenshot, the physics system would have re-calibrated 6 times.

er.. what?

The only game looking better than god of war 3 right now is uncharted 2. And i'm pretty sure god of war 3 will surpass it when it releases.

Firstly lets be real. GOW3 is no graphics showcase. It certainly is nowhere near top 10 best looking games imo.

2nd to answer the question about physics updates. Forza 3 360hertz, is effectively that Forza 3 updates the physics 360 times every second. For example GT5P updated 62 hertz/second. Basically at 180 mph in the game in 1 second Forza 3 can update the physics every 5 inches. the less updating, the less accurate the physics ( and reaction to the player input. )

Dude. GOD OF WAR 3 looks amazing. You said it was your opinion, so don't let it come out as fact.

Some of the best in any game. You can't deny that this is one of the most beautiful games out there. And at 1080p 60fps none the less..

And 2.. DUDE ! who cares about their ability to update physics 360 times if it sucks ? I mean from what i've seen (now i'm not saying it sucks..) their engine has trouble detecting the bounding boxes of the vehicles leading to clipping issues.

Sorry but I dont see GOW3's graphical wow factor. Looks good but not amazing. :) Anyway GOW is about gameplay.

Also in case you havent noticed Forza 3 is said to be the best physics ever seen on consoles. As well as being better than PC sims according to the excellent Inside SimRacing. A very small number of occasional glitches ( which every game has ) is what you use to hate on  game?

And no GoW is not just about the gameplay. It's also about the graphics and story, both in which it shines. In my opinion. Although you are of a different opinion most associated gaming press disagrees with you.

I'll be honest this is the first time Ive ever heard anyone talk about GOW3 as a graphical masterpiece.

Ive heard U2, LP2, Ac2, AW, GT5, FM3, SCC all impressing. But not GOW3. Sorry. :)

Well I have no doubt that must have been because you haven't been anywhere where any screens were posted after the first original trailer... Including here :)

God of War creator David Jaffe once said that the third game in the series looks "like a painting come to life." After seeing the new screens of the game Sony delivered at Gamescom, we're more inclined than ever to agree. The image above may look like a conceptual painting, but one click and you'll see a larger version that you can just tell is in-game. The rest of the batch show off a new helmet-wearing miniboss that Kratos will battle in his war against the gods. Seems a shame to destroy something so fantastic looking, doesn't it?

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/18/its-not-concept-art-new-god-of-war-iii-pics-are-that-pretty/

The shots show dark, brooding clouds swirling in the atmosphere with god rays breaking through to give the game a foreboding, apocalyptic edge tinged with some stunning lighting effects.

Other highlights include a glowering, blood-soaked Kratos, a goat-horned demon beast and Kratos sporting a pair of huge black-feathered wings, which is just plain cool.

Kratos is also pictured stabbing a huge Chimera in the chest, which also looks awesome.

So, awesome, cool and apocalyptic it is then. God of War III is fast becoming our most anticipated game of 2010.

March 2010 to be precise is when we should be seeing the gore-laden return of GoW III, delays notwithstanding.

No I was going off gameplay. I have seen nearly all the gameplay footage. Just thought it looked good ( thats not a bad thng ). Just going off forum members. This is the first itme Ive seen anyone put it anywhere near U2. I alos missed Heavy Rain off my list. Personally and from what Ive seen from most forum posters the other games I mentioned have come up alot more often for impressive graphics. Oh and CryEngine 3. :) Just saying, I never ever thought of it as top flight stuff.

Users from this forum ?

well here you go

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=5150

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=4865

most of the people there are very positive regarding the visual quality of the game.

Btw the pics i posted are of gameplay. Not just there but in any thread regarding gow. You must have missed it somehow, or simply ignored it(subconciously ?) based on the initial comments when the first trailer was released.

Check out my game about moles ^

Staude said:
selnor said:
Staude said:
selnor said:
Staude said:
selnor said:
Staude said:
selnor said:
inverted3reality said:
RAZurrection said:
inverted3reality said:

inverted3reality said:

JerCotter7 said:

er.. what?

Users from this forum ?

well here you go

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=5150

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=4865

most of the people there are very positive regarding the visual quality of the game.

Btw the pics i posted are of gameplay. Not just there but in any thread regarding gow. You must have missed it somehow, or simply ignored it(subconciously ?) based on the initial comments when the first trailer was released.

Of course I have seen people say it looks great. I have just never got the feeling on the internet that it's in the same ballpark as Alan Wake or Heavy Rain. GT5 or FM3. Uncharted 2 or Assasins Creed 2. Lost Planet 2 or Splinter Cell Conviction. Just alot of other games that look better in motion. I consider Dantes Inferno to look as good as GOW3. In motion they both look great, but not ultimate great.

Around the Network

It is above most that you mentioned there.. :\

and slap for saying that dantes inferno looks as good. Anyways it's all subjective so let's leave it at that. I've shown you that my opinion is shared by many others, including prominent websites though.

Check out my game about moles ^

"Difficult to replicate"!!!

Why bother trying to replicate, when you can do things another way.  It's apparent that Turn 10 or their official spokes person (they guy who comes out with all the claims) has a huge chip on his shoulder.  Maybe he's trying to convince himself that they have the definitive racing simulator.

His claims have included; the best looking car game, best physics and most features.

Well straight off, even though the car looks a wee bit better than FM2, it's still short on GT5 graphically...even GT5P looks better overall and yes having a higher resolution does make a difference as well...so seeing as GT5P can get 1080p at 60fps makes GT5P (and probably GT5) looks better graphically to me at least.

Physics wise, we are not sure as we don't know that GT5 is doing, but the latest news is that there will be physics based deformation that is calculated in realtime, which FM3 does not do....so is GT5 going to be better here as well?

And feature wise, FM3 is certainly jam packed, but it only has around 400 cars compared to the near 1000 that GT5 will have and who knows what other features GT5 will have.

All on all, FM3 is a great package will decent graphics and supposedly great 360hz physics and it could be the most complete package out at the moment....but in 6 months time GT5 could very well eclipse it in every way.

We will know more in the next few months.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

davygee said:

"Difficult to replicate"!!!

Why bother trying to replicate, when you can do things another way.  It's apparent that Turn 10 or their official spokes person (they guy who comes out with all the claims) has a huge chip on his shoulder.  Maybe he's trying to convince himself that they have the definitive racing simulator.

His claims have included; the best looking car game, best physics and most features.

Well straight off, even though the car looks a wee bit better than FM2, it's still short on GT5 graphically...even GT5P looks better overall and yes having a higher resolution does make a difference as well...so seeing as GT5P can get 1080p at 60fps makes GT5P (and probably GT5) looks better graphically to me at least.

Physics wise, we are not sure as we don't know that GT5 is doing, but the latest news is that there will be physics based deformation that is calculated in realtime, which FM3 does not do....so is GT5 going to be better here as well?

And feature wise, FM3 is certainly jam packed, but it only has around 400 cars compared to the near 1000 that GT5 will have and who knows what other features GT5 will have.

All on all, FM3 is a great package will decent graphics and supposedly great 360hz physics and it could be the most complete package out at the moment....but in 6 months time GT5 could very well eclipse it in every way.

We will know more in the next few months.

WellI have to stop you. You don't seem to notice anything about FM3. So here you go.

ALL physics systems are done in REALTIME on FM3 at 360 times a second. Compared to 120 times a sec in GT5P. FM3 not only has tyre deformation physics in realtime, but aerodynamics to. Thats just the surface. It's based on Mclaren F1's billion dollar simulator.

And on the graphics side, thats opinion. GT5p cars are great but the rest is very last gen. 2d trees etc, poor environment detail and 3d modeling. Lighting is great though. Features wise, GT5 has a mountain to climb. Yes it wins on cars 988 cars to be exact. 414 in FM3. But also Sony have yet to release another press comment regarding their last statement from 12 months ago. Where they said GT5 will actually release with 350 cars on disc but have a total of 900+ via DLC. They have never said anythign since about it shipping with 988 cars on the disc. Anyways it's more in total whichever way it ends up. But tracks wise GT5 has 20 different tracks with 70 in total for all variations. FM3 has 35 different tracks with 103 different variations. The rest is all known. Saying that Inside Sim Racing gave FM3 the best score ever for a Sim racer beating all PC sims. They are doing a GT5 vs FM3 showdown when GT5 releases to. GT5 has alot to live up to.

I was talking about car damage...where PD are working on full realtime accurate deformation of the car, T10 has used pre-determined incremental damage.

See DF article on EG here

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

davygee said:

I was talking about car damage...where PD are working on full realtime accurate deformation of the car, T10 has used pre-determined incremental damage.

See DF article on EG here

Hopefully their physics is up to scratch. Because Id rather that be right first. As it is, FM3 now holds best physics for a console game on alot of reviews. It's a shame it's only 170 cars for damage. But hopefully the system is good. The rest have paint scrapes.