By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Turn 10: "Difficult" to replicate Forza 3

davygee said:

"Difficult to replicate"!!!

Why bother trying to replicate, when you can do things another way.  It's apparent that Turn 10 or their official spokes person (they guy who comes out with all the claims) has a huge chip on his shoulder.  Maybe he's trying to convince himself that they have the definitive racing simulator.

His claims have included; the best looking car game, best physics and most features.

Well straight off, even though the car looks a wee bit better than FM2, it's still short on GT5 graphically...even GT5P looks better overall and yes having a higher resolution does make a difference as well...so seeing as GT5P can get 1080p at 60fps makes GT5P (and probably GT5) looks better graphically to me at least.

Physics wise, we are not sure as we don't know that GT5 is doing, but the latest news is that there will be physics based deformation that is calculated in realtime, which FM3 does not do....so is GT5 going to be better here as well?

And feature wise, FM3 is certainly jam packed, but it only has around 400 cars compared to the near 1000 that GT5 will have and who knows what other features GT5 will have.

All on all, FM3 is a great package will decent graphics and supposedly great 360hz physics and it could be the most complete package out at the moment....but in 6 months time GT5 could very well eclipse it in every way.

We will know more in the next few months.

FM3 only a wee bit better than FM2?

GT5P better looking?

Around the Network
selnor said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

I never searched before for GPL physics update, I was guessing something around 120Hz, but actually it was more than double, back in 1998 it already did 288Hz, I'm not surprised it's so good and still so respected even more than 10yrs later.

This. So many GT fans never REALLY understood why many PC gamers would tell you GT1, 2 or 3 or 4 or 5P was arcadey. Purely because PC sims have been doing between 300-420 hertz physics updates for ages. Why is this so important.

Explanation time:

If you have a bump in the road, lets say a sleeping police for arguements sake. It's 1 ft wide. At 138 miles an hour in a game which is 120hertz like NFS Shift or Gran Turismo 5P it is possible the game will simulate it as a competely normalflat piece of track. Why? Because at the speed it updates the physics it works out roughly that it's every 1.3 ft. So 120 Hertz at 138 miles an hour lets the game simulate every 1.3ft in the game, missing any bumps in the road that could affect handling between physics refresh times.

Thats why in a game with 360 hertz at the same speedwill update every 3.9 inches. So will react to more bumps in the road leading to  more realistic driving experience. This further applies to things like aerodynamics or tyre flex/deformation. The higher the physics refresh rates the more exact the physics simulation can be.

That's most probably not how racing sims work, though, unless they are really more primitive than the stuff I've worked with.

If the sampling of the ground had a spacial frequency of 1.3ft then all hell would break loose in the behaviour of your suspensions when you meet the trackside bumps. What probably happens is integration of the forces over an interpolated trajectory between two physical clock ticks.

Thus higher physics clock would still lead to more precise response, but a lower clock does not really ignore anything that happens inbetween the steps. Only inbetween a smaller integration subdivision used every tick.

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

Oh dear, they do seem determined to say just the wrong thing.

A game is code, it can be replicated so long as you understand the principle you're wanting to replicate - i.e. while I think Turn 10 have done some decent stuff with physics (although like the Digital Foundry analysis I don't think it's quite as amazing as they make out) it can clearly be replicated by any suitably experienced coder aiming for the same results.

Sure, your average guys aren't going to match it easily, but a good developer? Of course they could.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Well at least this wasn't as bad as most Forza 3 threads...

Badassbab said:

FM3 only a wee bit better than FM2?

GT5P better looking?

Can't get the links to work, but have a look at this?

Comparing Forza 2 to Forza 3

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Around the Network
yo_john117 said:

Actually, you're right, it isn't.  Guess everyones' been worn down by too much FM3 - GT5 arguing.

Reasonable said:

A game is code, it can be replicated so long as you understand the principle you're wanting to replicate - i.e. while I think Turn 10 have done some decent stuff with physics (although like the Digital Foundry analysis I don't think it's quite as amazing as they make out) it can clearly be replicated by any suitably experienced coder aiming for the same results.

Sure, your average guys aren't going to match it easily, but a good developer? Of course they could.

Can you link to the DF article.  I love those guys.

Reasonable said:
yo_john117 said:

Actually, you're right, it isn't.  Guess everyones' been worn down by too much FM3 - GT5 arguing.

Lets hope it stays that way.

JaggedSac said:
Reasonable said:

Digital Foundry Forza 3 Analysis

Here is an excerpt:

Onto the issue of crash damage then, and it's interesting to see how Turn Ten has implemented its model. The car has been divided up into different sections, and each has a pre-determined, incremental level of damage, with a number of removable parts. In the course of general racing, the effect is fairly realistic, but it's still somewhat removed from the reality of a high-speed crash during a real race. There's no deformation along the lines of Burnout Paradise, for example, and even the dynamically generated "battle damage" in the Xbox 360 version of Burnout Revenge hasn't been replicated.

So, what's the big deal with crash damage any way? The bottom line is that it's a hugely important part of games that purport to be racing simulators. High speed racing is synonymous with danger, and risk must carry the threat of dire consequences... the days of ramming opponents with impunity and bouncing harmlessly off solid walls should be well behind us. The danger principle is one of the core philosophies behind Burnout, and it is interesting to note that the Criterion game's over-the-top, enhanced crashes are still vastly more realistic graphically than anything seen in Forza 3.

Interestingly though, Forza 3's model appears to have much in common with the latest work by Polyphony Digital on Gran Turismo 5. While our first impressions of the crash damage in GT5 at gamescom were not so positive, recent footage from the Tokyo Game Show suggests that Polyphony has made big, big improvements over the GC code. Removable body parts have been joined by localised damage. Whether it is dynamically generated, or pre-determined like Forza 3 is something we won't be able to confirm until there's better video or preferably some hands-on code to analyse.

It wouldn't surprise us at all if the damage is indeed pre-determined on both games. The Burnout titles have the luxury of using non-licensed cars; Criterion are the lords and masters of their creations and can do with them whatever they see fit. Both Forza and GT5 don't have that luxury, and it may well be the case that the developers need to get manufacturer sign-off on all the in-game representations of their vehicles. Detachable parts and pre-determined damage would be a convenient solution.

It seems that GT5 is in fact getting Dynamically Generated localised damage though.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

JaggedSac said:
Reasonable said:

I see davygee's already helped you out with that.  It's a good read.  Forza 3 looks and plays good, but I like the way they pick stuff apart.  I'd note the overall article is mainly praise, but they do point out some interesting elements vs. Burnout Paradise, which, despite being an arcade racer, 'feels' the most like a real, dynamic crash.

They've also put up a to be expected rip apart of the Bayonneta demo (poor PS3 port confirmed by the looks of it) and a nice analysis of Uncharted 2 - which is basically full of deep love as they seemed to find little to fault in the title (based on the demo).