By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Turn 10: "Difficult" to replicate Forza 3

letsdance said:
the hypocrisy in this thread is jilarious.

YESSSS!

Around the Network
Badassbab said:
Maybe Turn 10 are right, the physics engine in FM3 will be superior, GT5 will be graphically superior

That is the way its been thus far when it comes to Forza and GT. GT looks better but Forza has better physics.

selnor said:
davygee said:

"Difficult to replicate"!!!

Why bother trying to replicate, when you can do things another way.  It's apparent that Turn 10 or their official spokes person (they guy who comes out with all the claims) has a huge chip on his shoulder.  Maybe he's trying to convince himself that they have the definitive racing simulator.

His claims have included; the best looking car game, best physics and most features.

Well straight off, even though the car looks a wee bit better than FM2, it's still short on GT5 graphically...even GT5P looks better overall and yes having a higher resolution does make a difference as well...so seeing as GT5P can get 1080p at 60fps makes GT5P (and probably GT5) looks better graphically to me at least.

Physics wise, we are not sure as we don't know that GT5 is doing, but the latest news is that there will be physics based deformation that is calculated in realtime, which FM3 does not do....so is GT5 going to be better here as well?

And feature wise, FM3 is certainly jam packed, but it only has around 400 cars compared to the near 1000 that GT5 will have and who knows what other features GT5 will have.

All on all, FM3 is a great package will decent graphics and supposedly great 360hz physics and it could be the most complete package out at the moment....but in 6 months time GT5 could very well eclipse it in every way.

We will know more in the next few months.

WellI have to stop you. You don't seem to notice anything about FM3. So here you go.

ALL physics systems are done in REALTIME on FM3 at 360 times a second. Compared to 120 times a sec in GT5P. FM3 not only has tyre deformation physics in realtime, but aerodynamics to. Thats just the surface. It's based on Mclaren F1's billion dollar simulator.

And on the graphics side, thats opinion. GT5p cars are great but the rest is very last gen. 2d trees etc, poor environment detail and 3d modeling. Lighting is great though. Features wise, GT5 has a mountain to climb. Yes it wins on cars 988 cars to be exact. 414 in FM3. But also Sony have yet to release another press comment regarding their last statement from 12 months ago. Where they said GT5 will actually release with 350 cars on disc but have a total of 900+ via DLC. They have never said anythign since about it shipping with 988 cars on the disc. Anyways it's more in total whichever way it ends up. But tracks wise GT5 has 20 different tracks with 70 in total for all variations. FM3 has 35 different tracks with 103 different variations. The rest is all known. Saying that Inside Sim Racing gave FM3 the best score ever for a Sim racer beating all PC sims. They are doing a GT5 vs FM3 showdown when GT5 releases to. GT5 has alot to live up to.

Yeah, you can even hit up on the dpad during a race to see what calculations it's running as well.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

regardless of the truth, one cannot deny that that is a whole lotta talk. typically people only talk that much when they are trying to convince others and themselves of something. when you are the best you tend to know you're the best...hence you don't need to auto-fellate quite so much.

art is the excrement of culture

I never searched before for GPL physics update, I was guessing something around 120Hz, but actually it was more than double, back in 1998 it already did 288Hz, I'm not surprised it's so good and still so respected even more than 10yrs later.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
uber said:
regardless of the truth, one cannot deny that that is a whole lotta talk. typically people only talk that much when they are trying to convince others and themselves of something. when you are the best you tend to know you're the best...hence you don't need to auto-fellate quite so much.

How many threads have you seen on this site alone regarding FM3 because of these quotes.  At the end of the day the guys have built up a huge internet hype regarding this game, people will ignore the haters and true gamers will buy based on reviews not some PR quotes.  There is nobody but GT and Sony fans not going to buy this game just because they've been cocky regarding their game.  I've read some right tripe from many Sony first party devs over the last few years but it's funny how you and many others sharing your view don't call them out for being arrogant.  A lot of you guys even stood by Crazy Ken's arrogance.

Finally, the best aren't always the quiet smug ones.  Alex Ferguson, arguably one of the greatest ever managers in footbal is never shy about opening his mouth, same with Jose Mourinho.

Alby_da_Wolf said:

I never searched before for GPL physics update, I was guessing something around 120Hz, but actually it was more than double, back in 1998 it already did 288Hz, I'm not surprised it's so good and still so respected even more than 10yrs later.

This. So many GT fans never REALLY understood why many PC gamers would tell you GT1, 2 or 3 or 4 or 5P was arcadey. Purely because PC sims have been doing between 300-420 hertz physics updates for ages. Why is this so important.

Explanation time:

If you have a bump in the road, lets say a sleeping police for arguements sake. It's 1 ft wide. At 138 miles an hour in a game which is 120hertz like NFS Shift or Gran Turismo 5P it is possible the game will simulate it as a competely normalflat piece of track. Why? Because at the speed it updates the physics it works out roughly that it's every 1.3 ft. So 120 Hertz at 138 miles an hour lets the game simulate every 1.3ft in the game, missing any bumps in the road that could affect handling between physics refresh times.

Thats why in a game with 360 hertz at the same speedwill update every 3.9 inches. So will react to more bumps in the road leading to  more realistic driving experience. This further applies to things like aerodynamics or tyre flex/deformation. The higher the physics refresh rates the more exact the physics simulation can be.

@ selnor:

That certainly seems to be the case. You been playing the demo for Forza 3 a lot? There are parts on that circuit, that especially if you're in the Audi or Porshe, will literally have you bounce off the track due to dips in the surface. Pretty cool, but makes staying on the track difficult.

themanwithnoname's law: As an America's sales or NPD thread grows longer, the probabilty of the comment "America = World" [sarcasticly] being made approaches 1.

themanwithnoname said:
@ selnor:

That certainly seems to be the case. You been playing the demo for Forza 3 a lot? There are parts on that circuit, that especially if you're in the Audi or Porshe, will literally have you bounce off the track due to dips in the surface. Pretty cool, but makes staying on the track difficult.

Yeah I noticed it alot. Although Forza 2 had 360hrtz, what really makes the difference in Forza 3 is extensively modeled roads. Proffesional Le Mans drivers said of Forza 3 that they have the smallest bumps all in their rightful places. Right where it should be.

I just got back from The Nurburgring and I can't wait to try it our on FM3. I hope they got all the bumps and divots right this time. FM2 Nurburg was way too smooth.