By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - No Silent Hill on Wii because Wii users aren't hardcore

MontanaHatchet said:

Zelda- Adventure game while still only being the 8th highest selling game in the series.

A bit irrelevant here, but anyway: It's actually the 5th highest selling game in the series. You gotta combine Wii & GC numbers.

1. Ocarina of Time - 7.60 m
2. A Link to the Past (SNES + GBC) - 7.19 m
3. Legend of Zelda - 6.51 m
4. Link's Awakening (GB + GBC) - 6.05 m
5. Twilight Princess - (Wii + GC) - 5.11 m

So it already outsold Wind Waker, Majora's Mask, Adventure of Link, ... and could very well even climb to number 4, if Nintendo releases a "Player's choice" edition. 

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 
Around the Network

mike_intellivision,

I could accept that Silent Hill was not coming to the Wii. That is not the problem. The problem is that this developer or what ever he is stated that it's not being developed for the Wii because the audience is not hardcore enough. He did not define what his term "hardcore" meant nor did he provide any facts to back up his claim. The Wii has had core games, like GodFather, ScarFace, RedSteal, poor developed games like Call of Duty 3 and Medal of Honor Vanguard, Resident Evil 4. Metroid Prime 3 and Super Paper Mario.

The list is not extensive but the Wii has only been out for 11 months.

Konomi is just losing money. That's their loss.

If Nintendo is successful at the moment, it’s because they are good, and I cannot blame them for that. What we should do is try to be just as good.----Laurent Benadiba

So they said the ps3 is bombing. No news here.

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

Konami isn't exactly the Wii's biggest fan, this isn't really surprising. They throw out a few after-thought games and leave them to die just so they can claim that they made an effort before canning all Wii development altogether because Wii owners obviously don't want Konami games.

There are three types of gamers the casual, the gamer, and the hardcore gamer. The primary difference is the length of time devoted to play weekly. A hardcore gamer can often easily rack up twenty hours of play a week. While the Casual gamer might rack up four or five. Unfortunately some game designs do not work towards the casual gamer dynamic.

Obviously if you have perhaps five hours a week to devote to gaming you do not want the following. You want a game that can be played in small increments. You want the controls to be intuitive and friendly. You want to avoid overly complex games. You want a game that is easy to follow. Deep stories, complex mechanics, and long time requirements hurt your experience. Imagine trying to play a Zelda on five hours a week. You will spend a lot of time being frustrated as you forget things, or have to recall what your supposed to be doing.

The market has always had casual games, and hardcore games, and games that fall somewhere in between. This is not a new phenomena by any stretch of the imagination. I know this has all been said before, and it will have to be repeated again. However every time the word gets tossed out there. Someone has to lay down the definition.

That said he has every right to question how hardcore the Wii audience really is. Nintendo is marketing it as a party machine, and they are hardly ripping out hardcore titles themselves. The sales charts show that casual games do surprisingly well. Granted there is Resident Evil, but here is the question. Does that game sell simply because it is the best hardcore game on the console. Other hardcore games have shown remarkably poor sales. This is not a gross exaggeration.

Resident Evil 4 has not sold over a million copies, and thats on a console with over twelve million units sold. The sales are decent there is no denying that, but the reality is that is nowhere near a Halo 3, Bioshock, or a Gears of War. The hardcore market on the 360 is a known commodity. Nothing has shown that it is so on the Wii. Personally I wouldn't include the likes of Zelda or Red Steel both games that could be gamer soluble.

Really nothing to get up in arms about here. He is not saying what most developers aren't thinking anyway. You may be a hardcore Wii owner, but does that translate to most Wii owners being hardcore. Makes a lot of sense for them to target a hardcore game at a console dominated by hardcore gaming.

Around the Network

Wow, once again I have to congrat Dodece for some great points, and throw in my own here.

I also find a lot of the 'core' gamers that own Wii, also own another system, and unless the Wii brings something special to the game (like in Tiger Woods or Okami), they will always choose to get the version with the better graphics. And why wouldn't they? Madden is the most obvious case of this, the Wii version reviewed well but is selling quite poorly compared to PS3 and is nothing at all compared to 360. Personally I think EA is failing to notify people that it has 'family' controls or whatever, and missing a lot of potential sales, but that's another matter.

For this reason it's more pratical to develop for the PSP than the Wii in Konami's thinking.

If a 'core' game is developed for the Wii, then I'm sure it'll sell well (if it's good). But multi-platform titles where the Wii adds nothing, will fair poorly compared to other systems.

Dodece said:
There are three types of gamers the casual, the gamer, and the hardcore gamer. The primary difference is the length of time devoted to play weekly. A hardcore gamer can often easily rack up twenty hours of play a week. While the Casual gamer might rack up four or five. Unfortunately some game designs do not work towards the casual gamer dynamic.

Obviously if you have perhaps five hours a week to devote to gaming you do not want the following. You want a game that can be played in small increments. You want the controls to be intuitive and friendly. You want to avoid overly complex games. You want a game that is easy to follow. Deep stories, complex mechanics, and long time requirements hurt your experience. Imagine trying to play a Zelda on five hours a week. You will spend a lot of time being frustrated as you forget things, or have to recall what your supposed to be doing.

The market has always had casual games, and hardcore games, and games that fall somewhere in between. This is not a new phenomena by any stretch of the imagination. I know this has all been said before, and it will have to be repeated again. However every time the word gets tossed out there. Someone has to lay down the definition.

That said he has every right to question how hardcore the Wii audience really is. Nintendo is marketing it as a party machine, and they are hardly ripping out hardcore titles themselves. The sales charts show that casual games do surprisingly well. Granted there is Resident Evil, but here is the question. Does that game sell simply because it is the best hardcore game on the console. Other hardcore games have shown remarkably poor sales. This is not a gross exaggeration.

Resident Evil 4 has not sold over a million copies, and thats on a console with over twelve million units sold. The sales are decent there is no denying that, but the reality is that is nowhere near a Halo 3, Bioshock, or a Gears of War. The hardcore market on the 360 is a known commodity. Nothing has shown that it is so on the Wii. Personally I wouldn't include the likes of Zelda or Red Steel both games that could be gamer soluble.

Really nothing to get up in arms about here. He is not saying what most developers aren't thinking anyway. You may be a hardcore Wii owner, but does that translate to most Wii owners being hardcore. Makes a lot of sense for them to target a hardcore game at a console dominated by hardcore gaming.

Your argument fell when you forgot that RE4 is a port, and and Halo 3 and Bioshock are original games. Thus using RE4's lower sales is poor way to prove the Wii cannot sell hardcore games. 

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

its gonna sell like crap either way.

DKII said:
Konami isn't exactly the Wii's biggest fan, this isn't really surprising. They throw out a few after-thought games and leave them to die just so they can claim that they made an effort before canning all Wii development altogether because Wii owners obviously don't want Konami games.

no konami just hasn't made any decent games outside of metal gear, silent hill and castlevania (which is now a handheld franchise anyway) thats pretty much all they make and then theres a bunch of crap (which they seem to be allocating to the wii this gen)

they don't really have anything decent they can give the wii apart from future spinoffs of their franchises and...DDR.

........or zone of the enders 3!!!!! *prays*

So, you think I don't deserve Silent Hill 5 on my Wii Yamaoka? You think I don't? Sorry Yamaoka, but as much as I respect you, that is a BS argument. A big fat BS argument.

So go on with your Wii-hate Konami, go on. I would buy Silent Hill on the Wii for sure, but I'm gonna 'get it' on the PC instead. Your PC ports just suck. We'll see who's hardcore, let's see if that makes you happy.