By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Demon's Souls is better then Oblivion

You'll see when you play for yourself. I actually love Mass Effect but it's too short.

Around the Network
Steroid said:
You'll see when you play for yourself. I actually love Mass Effect but it's too short.

Mass Effect is fourty hours long  if you do all side quests along with the main mission. The next one will be longer.

Rainbird said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Rainbird said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Steroid said:

Demon's Souls is better then Oblivion and Fallout 3 and Pretty much every RPG this gen.

Delusional anyone? Demon Souls didn't score higher on average than Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 will just blow it away. Fallout 3 is a great game that continues to get good updates. Demon Souls isn't even a GOTY or best PS3 game candidate. There is no way it will be better than Dragon Age Origins.

Honestly, I will guarantee you that Demon's Souls will recieve GoTY awards. I won't be judging though, I won't be playing DS this year, but I will be getting Dragon Age, which will hopefully be awesome

You'll never find a WRPG more complete than Dragon Age Origins. Bioware made it for crying out loud (They are true RPG gods). I'll make a bet with you that Dragon Age wins Best RPG of the year. Wait, it forgot the PS3 gets a best RPG as well, so you just might get that, so scratch the  bet! :)

No matter how awesome Dragon Age is (and trust me, I'm really looking forward to playing my first BioWare RPG since KoTOR), Demon's Souls has found its own niche, and there will no doubt be sites who will declare this as GoTY. I have no doubt about this

I'm pretty sure you are right on DA being RPG of the year, but DS will certainly recieve some RPGotY awards, as well as a GotY awards

Can you play Demon Souls 3-6 times with different classes and root storylines without it getting redundant? Dragon Age Origins will have far more value. The games review scores are basically tied with Demon Souls right now at 9.0. Tte story arch is far too great, deep and reaching depending on your decisions that this game will be played and will be loved multiple times over. Trust me...RPG of the year. Wanna make a bet?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Rainbird said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

You'll never find a WRPG more complete than Dragon Age Origins. Bioware made it for crying out loud (They are true RPG gods). I'll make a bet with you that Dragon Age wins Best RPG of the year. Wait, it forgot the PS3 gets a best RPG as well, so you just might get that, so scratch the  bet! :)

No matter how awesome Dragon Age is (and trust me, I'm really looking forward to playing my first BioWare RPG since KoTOR), Demon's Souls has found its own niche, and there will no doubt be sites who will declare this as GoTY. I have no doubt about this

I'm pretty sure you are right on DA being RPG of the year, but DS will certainly recieve some RPGotY awards, as well as a GotY awards

Can you play Demon Souls 3-6 times with different classes and root storylines without it getting redundant? Dragon Age Origins will have far more value. The games review scores are basically tied with Demon Souls right now at 9.0. Tte story arch is far too great, deep and reaching depending on your decisions that this game will be played and will be loved multiple times over. Trust me...RPG of the year. Wanna make a bet?

A bet on whether or not DA will be the RPGotY? No thanks, I know it will

I'm just saying that DS will gain a few awards of its own, as it has gained quite a niche for itself. You should read this excellent writeup (it's an excellent read, no matter what ): http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=25238

And I have heard of several people playing through DS several times without it getting redundant, despite the game being essentially the same on every playthrough

I don't enjoy very very very hard games so its a pass for me!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Steroid said:

Mass Effect is fourty hours long  if you do all side quests along with the main mission. The next one will be longer.

That's seriously not long enough... I would hope that the main story alone would do that.

My friend told me that he finished Mass Effect on his first play through "taking his time" in less tha 15 hours... I thought that was lame for an RPG.... 

4 ≈ One

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Steroid said:

Mass Effect was my favorite RPG of all time but DS just blows it out of the water. You have to play DS to feel the intensity.

You will play Demon's souls again and again just to master the various techniques that are required.

This is no pause-the-game-choose-favorite-spell type of action. There is no pause feature in the game PERIOD. Even consuming a health pack makes you take the health pack out of your pocket and proceed to eat it, which obviously leaves you wide open to attacks.

Even the magic throws require you to actually AIM. The melee is incredibly detailed and requires a lot of skill to master.

At the same time, its RPG elements are incredibly detailed. In the end no matter how skilled of a player you are, it is impossible to win against a higher level player.

The most wonderful thing is that the difficulty, though incredibly steep, always poses a challenge and never a frustration.

This is an action RPG in its truest sense.

It is better to die on one's feet

then live on one's knees

Dgc1808 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Steroid said:

That's seriously not long enough... I would hope that the main story alone would do that.

My friend told me that he finished Mass Effect on his first play through "taking his time" in less tha 15 hours... I thought that was lame for an RPG....

The J man would rather play a phenomenal rpg that is 30 hours , than a crappy 100 hour rpg.

No matter how long the game lasts is not indicative of the games quality because  those 30 hours the J man spent on Mass Effect was the greatest experience the J man has ever had this gen.

(And by the way your friend is BS, it is impossible to finish the whole game in 15 hours.......not even the main quest is that short)

N64 is the ONLY console of the fifth generation!!!

Gilgamesh said:

Really?...

Hmm maybe I should consider getting it. Is the difficulty so bad that it ruins the experience though? (sinse I know it's a really hard game)

No. The difficulty always poses as a challenge that motivates you. In the end DS really punishes the casual attitude.

You cannot play well if you are playing the game while chatting with someone or distracted in one way or another.

If you concetrate hard, plan your tasks effectively, think before acting, you will be fine.

Also I will recommend using some sort of guide, this will tide you over the initial difficulty.

It is better to die on one's feet

then live on one's knees

How difficult is this game? Is it on par with other RPG's or would it linger into the insane difficulty of the Ninja Gaiden series? lol