By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - WHO NEEDS BLURAY? Finally! You Can Buy Movies From Xbox Live Marketplace.

^^Sorry, plebs was not cool. And it is a good debate.

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

Around the Network

On a lighter note; I just watched 2 amazing films that both looked and sounded the best that I have expirienced. Blade Runner The Final Cut has 5 versions of the film, including the newest Final Cut which is the best looking and sounding film that I have ever had the pleasure to watch. And, Starmnan. God it looks & sounds good for a movie that's 25 years old!

BR with it's five versions I picked up for $19 and Starman was about $17 as it was just released. BR has a full 50g disc loded just for sepecial features. Insain!

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

Squilliam said:
HanzoTheRazor said:
^^ Are u implying that BD's are not the ultimate way to view a film?

Sony has 4K projectors, and its not because there isn't any content to show on it.

At last the cavalry comes in, thanks Squid! As our friend from down under was saying, in 5 years that 4K content will be distributed in 300-400GB BluRays instead of the HDDs used today :)

"All you need in life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure." - Mark Twain

"..." - Gordon Freeman

WereKitten said:
Squilliam said:
HanzoTheRazor said:
^^ Are u implying that BD's are not the ultimate way to view a film?

Sony has 4K projectors, and its not because there isn't any content to show on it.

At last the cavalry comes in, thanks Squid! As our friend from down under was saying, in 5 years that 4K content will be distributed in 300-400GB BluRays instead of the HDDs used today :)

Teh interwebz is teh future of teh content distribution... B_E_L_I_E_V_E?

Tease.

Nothing could stop download become dominating, look at the debat we had about music market a few years back. and those sony walkman vs apple ipod articles......

Around the Network

At the end of the day Sony has the marketing for the PS3 which is directing it to a 18-30 demographic and as Mr Average walks into the shop Blue Ray is being marketed unintentionally at a 18-30 niche market. MR AVERAGE DOES NOT WANT TO BUY A £500 TV TO WATCH A 1080P SIGNAL! ALL THEY WANT IS TO WATCH A MOVIE ON THEIR EXISTING TV. This is another reason why Blue Ray is looked upon as a niche product a vast majority of the worlds population just doesnt have the money to change their whole equipment or even care about it. Just the other day I was talking to my neighbour (who really is not a technophile) and asked him if he was going to go HD and he said no, he's heard about it but it's just too costly and too complicated for him. GREAT MARKETING!

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

^^
i kinda think this guy above me never actually heard about Bluray.
its BluRay not BlueRay. and no as HD t.vs get more and more popular people don't mind change, BD is getting alot more popular than DVD did back when CD was the bigger format.

@PullusPardus

Actually, that guy writes some funny shit. Maybe someone should inform him that crack kills. "Blue Ray is being marketed unintentionally at a 18-30 niche market." Give me a break! I am 34, my father is 68. Him and most of his mates, who are between 50 & 70 years are into BD's now, too. Oh, to be nieve.

There basically are two types of movie viewers;

1. The type that have some, or a lot of hi-tech equipment and pay for films.

2. The type that doesn't have much hi-end gear, or has PC rigs and does not pay for films.

Type 2 person rarely goes to the cinema and rarely buys movies. While type 1 is the main driving force of sales for the industry. Both types of people rent movies, also.

The bottom line is that M$ failed to prevent BD's / HDDVD and it is here to stay.

Don't worry yourself too much tho, as these haters will be in denial untill they finally jump on board. The media and such can spout figures all day, it will not make a difference to them or their friends.

selnor said:

Space is NO longer an issue. Finally.

I have loads more than ths guy of dvds. legit too before anyone asks.

iWarMachine said:
first, if you take the 360 out to your friends house, they've to have a 360, since the 360 HDD is not exactly a "NORMAL" HDD.

2nd, PSN it's a lot better with the movie service than XBL......i mean, it's sony (sony pictures, columbia pictures, partnership with almost EVERY film producer) for godsake.

3rd, this discussion it's just plain stupid, the quality of the Dowloadable or Stream movies WILL NEVER be like a Blu-ray. why? because the 1st it's compressed, and the 2nd one it's being STREAMED = SHIT, even with the new MS technology. Also let's not forget that a Blu-ray has extra content AND it's "touchable", you can grab it, you can have it FOR DECADES, and will not be erased or something.

Aaware that Xbox Live movie service is far greater than PSN right? Live has Sony pictures and Columbia pictures to. There isn't anything that Live doesn't have in terms of movie companies.