By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - WHO NEEDS BLURAY? Finally! You Can Buy Movies From Xbox Live Marketplace.

Grimes said:
twesterm said:
Grimes said:
The real irony is that I made these exact same arguments less than a decade ago almost word for word. It was not that long ago everyone was using dial up modems for internet access and there were no iPods. There were no online music stores.

People thought I was nuts when I said everyone will switch to digital distributed music. Nearly all those people never touch their cds anymore and some don't even own cds.

I've actually always been a big believer in music downloads because even on dialup a song didn't take more than 10 minutes.  I had actually want to make something like iTunes before there was an iTunes but wanted songs at $0.75.  :-p

I completely agree that one day internet will be fast enough and portable memory will be big enough so that I can easily watch a movie anywhere either by streaming or holding it some sort of device, I just don't think that's going to happen really soon and at least the XBox Marketplace thing isn't the answer at the moment.

Actually, uncompressed song from a CD would take longer than 10 minutes on dial up. An uncompressed album could take hours.

Just like an uncompressed 1080p show could take hours to download. A compressed 720p compressed program could take considerably less time.

As you probably already know even Blu-ray movies are compressed 1080p. I forgot the exact amount  but a uncompressed 1080p 2 hour movie is way over 100GB.

Around the Network

i LOVE blu-ray, its sik!

we have had movie downloads on PSN for ages but blu-ray is just better, physical copy FTW

Bladeforce said:
Lets have a look at this all Blue Ray thing a "Mr. Normal Street Guy" perspective by weighing up the benefits of adopting dvd over vhs and adopting BR over DVD eh? Doing it this way I think will at least highlight some glaringly obvious fatcs here.

Mr Normal Street Guy walks into a store in 1998 and is pounced on by the store assistant.

"Hello, Sir how would you like to look at these new players called DVD players, the latest technology.

"What do these have that VHS doesn't?"

"Well you can get far higher picture and sound quality from these DVD's"

"Show me"

Guy is suitably impressed by the obvious difference

"What else is it better at?"

"You can go to any point in a movie by using chapters without having to rewind the whole tape for minutes"

Very impressive

"Not only that the disc will never degrade in quality over the years"

Great

"You can have subtitles displayed at a whim, there are extras built into the disc that can be added over the movie which is impossible with a VHS"

Fantastic

"The DVD's themselves are much smaller with packaging meaning your collection won't take up as much space plus much easier to take around with you"

Wonderful

11 years later Mr Normal Street Guy walks into an electronics store..

"Hello may I interest you in the new Blue Ray players Sir?"

"What do these have that DVD doesn't?"

"Well Sir, they have the ability to boost the picture quality to 1080p"

"What is that?"

"It's the amount of pixels being displayed progressively. 1920x1080p means there are 1920 pixels vertically and 1080 horizontally. 1920x1080p is currently the highest resolution you can get right now. So a Blue Ray player can produce 2073600 pixels on screen, 6 times more detail than DVD"

"Wow it certainly does sound impressive and it will display that on my TV now?"

"If you have an HD ready TV that is capable of display a 1080p image, yes"

"How do I know if it does already?"

"It will generally say HD Ready on the TV or you will have to check if your model is HD Ready and then check if it capable of producing that kind of image"

"I'm sure it isn't HD Ready what kind of price TV is capable of producing this kind of Image?"

"Well they range from £300 to anything around £1000, even more sometimes"

"So this TV will definitely display the image"

"Well that depends if it is 720p or 1080p"

"720p?"

"Yes it is a HD signal but not with as much detail as 1080p but still nearly 3 times higher than DVD and generally the 1080p ones are around £500"

"So what else does Blue Ray have that DVD doesnt that I will use"

"You can have uncompressed 7.1 audio giving you an all cinema feeling"

"This sound will come from my TV?"

"No, you will have to buy a special receiver for 7.1 sound"

"How much is that?"

"Anything from £300 - £1000 again for a decent 7.1 receiver"

"So to play these Blue Ray in all their glory I will need to spend about £200 for this player, $500 for a decent TV capable of it and about £400 on a reciever?"

"Yes to get it in all its true glory"

Mr Normal Street guy walks out of the shop and goes home to play his DVD movie

And then the next Videophyle geek comes into the same store to listen to the same marketing bullshit. He quickly takes a look at the back of the unit and notices a composite cable going from the player to the 60in Full HD 1080p TV. He has a good chuckle to himself and after the salesmen spends 10 minutes hyping up the HD experience, he quietly punces on his prey. "Dude, you can't pass a 1080p picture via a composite cable. It is downscaling to 480p/575p."

Sounds ridiculous? Well an almost identical experience happened to me when I went into a store here in Australia and they were trying to do a HD setup. They were using a composite cable. There are idiots everywhere. Most of them being salesmen in stores like Bestbuy or I would call the Aussie equivilent, Harvey Norman. :)

I guess the problem this shows is that a lot of sales people do not know how to show a good HD setup. They might show a 40in screen running some BD movie and the buyer is standing more than 1.5 meters away. Well if they are 3 meters away, it wont look any better than a 720p picture. If only they showed it on a 60in screen from 2.5m's back, in a controlled environment, properly setup. Setup is even more important for HD 1080p projectors.

Very few know how to even setup HD.

kowenicki said:
@nordlead

which is why i asked the question earlier..... can i take the movie of the hdd and put it on my laptop/portable media device?.. if i can then its a winner, if not it isnt for the reasons you say.

Well I'm sure you can take your HDD off your 360 to a friends house. Now if you have 20 HD Films on it, that is ALOT better than carrying 20 Bluray discs to your mates. Then you have a choice of watching any of them if you and your friends want choice. M$ want as many 360's in homes as possible. So instead of buying a PS3 and forking out £100 just for 5 BluRays you can buy a 360 and have 15-20 films in HD for the same price. Again all you have to do is take your HDD with you. Which is far easier and more practical than trudging a suitcase around with 50 BluRays in it. So all you need is for your friend to have a 360. And lets face it, HDD film owning on a 250GB 360 is very tempting to any yet to be owner of a Bluray player.

This type of thing doesn't excite me at all. I can't put downloaded movies on a shelf for display.
Also if my hardrive goes bad someday and Xbox Live is no longer active i lost my movie.
For renting movies it's okay but longterm its not that great.

At the name of YESHUA, EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth (Philippians 2:10)

I have the biggest Wishlist on VGchartz

Around the Network

all this digital dowload is all well and good if your internet service is fast, cheap, and has huge allowances...but in many places this is NOT the case, in Australia for example our plans are expensive and get no where near the allowance to make this the norm, Europe is some what the same.

The above is 1 thing that's limiting DD, the 2nd thing is convenience, essentially DRM has to be removed in order to make it work, otherwise the DRM associated issues will drive customers away.

A good way in a sense this could work, is the way some people have divx movies, yes they are illegal if they downloaded it and don't actually own the movie, but it's the whole concept that works so well that makes it convenient, you see once you download the movie your free to watch it on the computer, burn it to a dvd and watch it on divx compatible dvd players, put it on a portable hard drive play it on the PS3/360, and you can do practically the same things as you could with a normal DVD movie except that it's in a digital format, and essentially this is the freedom movie studios have to allow for it to work.

I'm not a fan of DD...mainly because DRM makes it feel like it's not actually mine, but if they were to allow bought digital movies to be treated like there illegal counter part, then there's no reason not to buy, and if this was eventually the case, then the real issue would simply be one of bandwidth...which with time will be slowly resolved.

Space is NO longer an issue. Finally.

I think the type of people that want this to work and be the main are people that don't normally buy films. U know, the people that have films on their current hard drives but never paid for them.

I have a question; How many people here have bought tonnes of films on DVD and or BD and want DDL to be the main?

How many people on this site have hi-tech AV rigs and want this to work?

Most hardcore, true videophiles don't care for digital copies, this is a fact. This is why BD's are surging in sales. These people, (like myself) are the ones that make whatever media that's new a success & spend $1000 on films.

I have over 300 BD's now and like my other videophile friends & family with top of the line audio & video rigs love physical media for films. Putting them on display is a joy. Collecting them is a joy. Sharing them, re-selling them, lending them, taking them over to a mates is all CONVENIENT! These things I refer to just don't work with DDL films. Games, yes. Music, yes! Films.. for rentals only, yes.

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

blackops said:
kowenicki said:
@blackops

a matter of time.... i was SO against music downloads up until late last year... now I will never buy another cd's.

movies will follow soon enough.

well, if the downloads can be watched on other devices then it's good. But if it's like the PSN where I can only watch on psp and ps3 then it would make no difference to a lotta ppl. Majority of people like to be able to watch their movies elsewhere apart from their houses

I don't know about that.  The only other places I've watched movies is at someone's else house, where it wouldn't matter if we had to watch it on a movie playing device,  or at the movie theater.  

Cool but i prefer disc.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PLAYSTATION 3 : RPG FAN CLUB