By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - WHO NEEDS BLURAY? Finally! You Can Buy Movies From Xbox Live Marketplace.

@selnor

"Well I'm sure you can take your HDD off your 360 to a friends house. Now if you have 20 HD Films on it, that is ALOT better than carrying 20 Bluray discs to your mates."

Excuse me? If I go to a mates, I take 2 maybe 3 films max. And, 20 HD fims on a 250gig 360 HD? If u had bare bones films with no extra content, special features and, or not extra high quality then maybe 20. 50g BD's are quite the norm now. The special features shit on most DVD's! There currently is nothing better than a BD. Why would anybody who spent $1000 on set ups want to down grade visuals, features & audio even a fraction?

"more practical than trudging a suitcase around with 50 BluRays in it."

Who has ever taken 50 films to a friends? LOL!

Films are like books. People want them physically. People like displaying them and seeing them. And, to all that bring up scratches; BD's are almost impossible to scratch.

How long have we had DDL for music? Doesn't seem to have majorly affected music retal stores. Funny that.

Playing and finishing games first>>>>>>>>>>Then talking!

Opinions are subjective and just like moods, can change.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

MOST WANTED: Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Last Guardian, ICO/Shadow OTC HD

Around the Network

@selnor

"So all you need is for your friend to have a 360. And lets face it, HDD film owning on a 250GB 360 is very tempting to any yet to be owner of a Bluray player."

This is priceless! So videophilers and mums & dads (most dads these days are vidophilers) are all going to race out and buy a 360 and an over price HDD? Yeh, I can see people spending 10~30 grand on rigs would want to use the 360 for their set ups. I can see it now... BD's are gonna die, cause of your amazingly "tempting" idea!

It really does seem like the 360 fanboys, (who arn't videophiles) are the ones who are jumping with joy from this idea. M$ really knows how to plant seeds! The real funny thing is, that SONY doesn't mention DDL distribution much, but were the ones to beat M$ to it with full games. They also have a meaty DDL movie/music service and now have PSPGO. even Nintendo is onboard!

DDL are definitely here to stay, but will never, in our lifetime completely replace physical media. They will co-exist.

TOP 12: Deus Ex, Shadow Man, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturn, Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, Metroid Prime, Zelda (series), Uncharted (series), FF Tactics, Persona (series), Demons Souls, Vagrant Story.

HanzoTheRazor said:
@selnor

"So all you need is for your friend to have a 360. And lets face it, HDD film owning on a 250GB 360 is very tempting to any yet to be owner of a Bluray player."

This is priceless! So videophilers and mums & dads (most dads these days are vidophilers) are all going to race out and buy a 360 and an over price HDD? Yeh, I can see people spending 10~30 grand on rigs would want to use the 360 for their set ups. I can see it now... BD's are gonna die, cause of your amazingly "tempting" idea!

It really does seem like the 360 fanboys, (who arn't videophiles) are the ones who are jumping with joy from this idea. M$ really knows how to plant seeds! The real funny thing is, that SONY doesn't mention DDL distribution much, but were the ones to beat M$ to it with full games. They also have a meaty DDL movie/music service and now have PSPGO. even Nintendo is onboard!

DDL are definitely here to stay, but will never, in our lifetime completely replace physical media. They will co-exist.

If you care to stop a moment. You would know that Blu Ray sales this year in terms of marketshare have declined all year. Last October Blu Ray software sales in the states had 14%, while August and September 2009 sees as little as 7% on some weeks. And has been around there awhile. Blu Ray isn't exactly flourishing right now. So I guess DD has every chance of being successful like the music DD before Blu Ray even takes 20% of DVD marketshare. I understand PSN and what it has. But to call it meaty next to Lives download offerings is like saying Cindy Crawford would beat CHUCK NORRIS in a fight.

HanzoTheRazor said:
@selnor

"Well I'm sure you can take your HDD off your 360 to a friends house. Now if you have 20 HD Films on it, that is ALOT better than carrying 20 Bluray discs to your mates."

Excuse me? If I go to a mates, I take 2 maybe 3 films max. And, 20 HD fims on a 250gig 360 HD? If u had bare bones films with no extra content, special features and, or not extra high quality then maybe 20. 50g BD's are quite the norm now. The special features shit on most DVD's! There currently is nothing better than a BD. Why would anybody who spent $1000 on set ups want to down grade visuals, features & audio even a fraction?

Films are like books. People want them physically. People like displaying them and seeing them. And, to all that bring up scratches; BD's are almost impossible to scratch.

How long have we had DDL for music? Doesn't seem to have majorly affected music retal stores. Funny that.

What???? The iTunes store is the biggest music retailer now. Many retail chains have been put out of business like Tower Records and the Wherehouse.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

HanzoTheRazor said:
@selnor

Yeah you may take 2-3 films max, but a HDD is the same size as about 2 cases thick. So for the same space in your bag, you can take a whole lot more. It's a benefit, I dont see the problem.

Dude we are only discussing. There is no need for attacks here. Chill bro. :)

Around the Network

^^I am not attacking, I am being resonable and senseable. If u are going to a mates place to watch a film, it would be something particular, no?

It seems like many filesharers and 360fanboys, (since M$ touted it as being the future), alike love the idea of DDL only and are sprouting that physical media will just... poof disappear. Very funny, and even more funny is that DDL are better, when it clearly has major disadvantages. Yes, some advantages too, but not enough to completely abolish the other. Just way the pros and cons for both.

HanzoTheRazor said:
^^I am not attacking, I am being resonable and senseable. If u are going to a mates place to watch a film, it would be something particular, no?

It seems like many filesharers and 360fanboys, (since M$ touted it as being the future), alike love the idea of DDL only and are sprouting that physical media will just... poof disappear. Very funny, and even more funny is that DDL are better, when it clearly has major disadvantages. Yes, some advantages too, but not enough to completely abolish the other. Just way the pros and cons for both.

I don't think that's what people are arguing at all. I think the main point is the DD will grow faster than blu-ray and will becomethe leading force in the industry. Blu-ray will never enjoy the marketshare of dvd. Blu-ray might share the ride in the front seat for a couple of years with DD and DVD, but eventually blu-ray and dvd will have to take a back seat to DD.

Anyone can guess. It takes no effort to throw out lots of predictions and have some of them be correct. You are not and wiser or better for having your guesses be right. Even a blind man can hit the bullseye.

@grimes

So, with your almight wisdom u predict that soon there will be no in-store music stores? Heck, no more in-store book stores (cause of Amazon), media stores, electronics, etc, etc at all, cause of internet shopping / DDL?

My point was, we have had online shopping for a very long time now and we still have in-store retail in abundace and "ALWAYS WILL"! Sure, retail is very tough and businesses like the itunes store are taking huge monies away from others, never said they were'nt. But things are stableizing as they always do. It is not practical as u seem to think to go from A to Z, no?

I seem to recall people like u saying that internet shopping will put in-store retail out of bussiness when it was starting up. Here we go again with DDL. People never learn!

You will not be streaming 1080P movies. Maybe with a 30MB connection. Most people will get a very compressed and barley HD image. Yes I have seen the tech involved showing the cartoon, but reality is that the DL speed required for a true 1080P movie with HD audio is far more than 99% of the people have.

HanzoTheRazor said:
@grimes

So, with your almight wisdom u predict that soon there will be no in-store music stores? Heck, no more in-store book stores (cause of Amazon), media stores, electronics, etc, etc at all, cause of internet shopping / DDL?

My point was, we have had online shopping for a very long time now and we still have in-store retail in abundace and "ALWAYS WILL"! Sure, retail is very tough and businesses like the itunes store are taking huge monies away from others, never said they were'nt. But things are stableizing as they always do. It is not practical as u seem to think to go from A to Z, no?

I seem to recall people like u saying that internet shopping will put in-store retail out of bussiness when it was starting up. Here we go again with DDL. People never learn!

Stop putting words in my mouth. I never said anything like this.

It's about growth and marketshare. Not about putting something out of business.