By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - WHO NEEDS BLURAY? Finally! You Can Buy Movies From Xbox Live Marketplace.

You can also buy full 360 games online (has most of you already know).

Around the Network
WereKitten said:
JaggedSac said:

Oops, for some reason my brain died and I thought read speeds were affected by the number of layers.  4K would need about a bit rate of 220 Mbit/s so an 8x blu ray player would work fine.  I knew that the sizes were already doable. 

That's actually true e.g. for some DVD readers, but it hasn't been so for BD drives AFAIK.

I think the issue with BR is not in the reading of those discs, but in the creation of a disc with so many layers. Disc pressing has a yield rate, similar to semi-conductors. Essentially the more layers in a disc the more likely for there to be an error in production as AFAIK its not a linear relationship between layers and yield.

Tease.

DirtyP2002 said:

I think you have to go out and just try to download a 720p movie on Xbox Live. I had HD-DVDs (got them cheap after HD-DVD was dead, like 3-5€ per movie) So I already saw 1080p on a 46" screen. So I tried the Xbox Live marketplace  and I couldn't believe a 720p movie would be a 4.5 GB file.

Well I watched this and I was blown away. The picture was more or less the same like on HD-DVDs. I could only see the differences when I came very close to my TV.

Even my girlfriend said, that the picture is very good. It was her first HD experience. My father was even more impressed, because he knew about BluRay, HD-DVD etc. He was shocked that this was just a 4.5 GB movie.

I do not care about bitrate etc. All I see is a great sharp picture, even on 720p. I will try to download a 1080p movie to try this one. I do not expect to see any major differences.

Just like the SD content on the PSN store looks amazing as well. The consoles are up-sampling the inage to make it look better. It will look good sure, but not as good as a BD. Its still compressed much more and requires more processing.

darendt said:
DirtyP2002 said:

I think you have to go out and just try to download a 720p movie on Xbox Live. I had HD-DVDs (got them cheap after HD-DVD was dead, like 3-5€ per movie) So I already saw 1080p on a 46" screen. So I tried the Xbox Live marketplace  and I couldn't believe a 720p movie would be a 4.5 GB file.

Well I watched this and I was blown away. The picture was more or less the same like on HD-DVDs. I could only see the differences when I came very close to my TV.

Even my girlfriend said, that the picture is very good. It was her first HD experience. My father was even more impressed, because he knew about BluRay, HD-DVD etc. He was shocked that this was just a 4.5 GB movie.

I do not care about bitrate etc. All I see is a great sharp picture, even on 720p. I will try to download a 1080p movie to try this one. I do not expect to see any major differences.

Just like the SD content on the PSN store looks amazing as well. The consoles are up-sampling the inage to make it look better. It will look good sure, but not as good as a BD. Its still compressed much more and requires more processing.

And this above comment here is just why I have been trying to say "TO THE AVERAGE JOE BR MEANS CRAP!"

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""