By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Capcom: Japanese devs 'delighted' with Sony's wands; Expect Wii Ports

I think Wii ports are inevitable. Microsoft will want them also. MS just needs to figure out how to map Natal's gestures to the Wiimote. I wouldn't look at this as a bad thing. Sony and MS need third party support, and this is the fastest way to get it.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Around the Network
Staude said:
woopah said:
i dont understand this idea that wii games are equal to PSN games. also although the sony wands had motion i remember the pointing to be no where near as good as IR

Wat ? it's much more precise. And I don't know of any wii games that should release on the ps3 as full priced games. In general the expanded technology allows you for more so the games of the wii feels more limited when you play them. Atleast that's my experience.

Sub Pixel Accuracy !

Not to mention it has more motion detecting gadgets than the wii mote (inside the wands)

And ! Look when hes writing their name. That's fucking accurate.

Sub millimeter not Sub Pixel. Millimeter>Pixel by a lot. It looks to me that everything in that video can be done with WM+. As of right now they seem pretty much the same in functionality. So neither of them is more precise from the looks of both of them.

sc94597 said:
This is bad news. Why would anybody want direct ports of a game with no extra content? Seriously what is with this habit of getting late ports for PS3 from 360 and now Wii, Wii getting ports from last generation consoles, and 360 getting ports from PC. Developers, especially this generation are porting WAY too much and imo not making original, unique games. The only places you don't see this are PC and Handhelds. This is because ports on these platforms rarely sell.

DS

Super mario 64: DS 7.73 million

FFIII - 2.3 million

The Sims 2 - 1.47 million

DQIV 1.32 mill

DQV 1.3 mill

FFIV - 1 mill

PSP - the best and 3rd best selling games are both ports

scottie said:
sc94597 said:
This is bad news. Why would anybody want direct ports of a game with no extra content? Seriously what is with this habit of getting late ports for PS3 from 360 and now Wii, Wii getting ports from last generation consoles, and 360 getting ports from PC. Developers, especially this generation are porting WAY too much and imo not making original, unique games. The only places you don't see this are PC and Handhelds. This is because ports on these platforms rarely sell.

DS

FFIII - 2.3 million

DQIV 1.32 mill

DQV 1.3 mill

FFIV - 1 mill

Four of those are remakes of games 15-20yrs old. Even then they are big franchises. They sold much less than the originals  The other two are pretty much the exceptions because they are big series.

Edit The PSP games are NOT direct ports despite what some may say. They are pretty much entirely different games if you look at the value aspect(playing locally with friends versus subscriptioned online), and they have extra content.

sc94597 said:
scottie said:
sc94597 said:

DS

FFIII - 2.3 million

DQIV 1.32 mill

DQV 1.3 mill

FFIV - 1 mill

Four of those are remakes of games 15-20yrs old. Even then they are big franchises. They sold much less than the originals  The other two are pretty much the exceptions because they are big series.

Edit The PSP games are NOT direct ports despite what some may say. They are pretty much entirely different games if you look at the value aspect(playing locally with friends versus subscriptioned online), and they have extra content.

They're still ports, and you said that ports on portables don't sell. If you were only talking about ports of current of 6th gen games then yes, you're right

@ edit - Most ports have extra features

@ soriku - I'm not sure what you mean? I don't mind at all if companies bring out ports - in the end its the consumer that decides whether porting games is profitable or not, and the role of game companies is to keep the consumers happy.

Around the Network

The first motion controlled PS3 games will have the two input options, the new motion and the dual analog. This is a must to avoid claims from customers if the motion controls suck (because it was badly implemented from be beginning). I cannot see a motion controlled-only PS3 game that is not a gimmick or a wagglefest, because motion was not from the start of the console and the time to debug and test the controller input (not because of technology, but developers' experience in motion controls) can increase the costs of the game.

Ahh, k

lol i can see a flood of psn titles when they come out, hopefully darkside chronicles can be released.... as long as it doesnt look like a wii game ill be happy

scottie said:
sc94597 said:
scottie said:
sc94597 said:

DS

FFIII - 2.3 million

DQIV 1.32 mill

DQV 1.3 mill

FFIV - 1 mill

They're still ports, and you said that ports on portables don't sell. If you were only talking about ports of current of 6th gen games then yes, you're right

@ edit - Most ports have extra features

@ soriku - I'm not sure what you mean? I don't mind at all if companies bring out ports - in the end its the consumer that decides whether porting games is profitable or not, and the role of game companies is to keep the consumers happy.

A remake isn't a port. Why would I think that? Because you are remaking the game. A port is taking essentially the same game and putting it on another console. People who already own the original buy remakes much more often than ports. So they aren't the same thing. Also I was making a generalization, a few exceptions from the largest gaming franchise of all time, and another large franchise doesn't prove any point other than that large franchises sell no matter what. Even then they sold much less than newly made titles fromt he series on the DS. Monster Hunter is an example of the values of a game being changed to sell more, and Grand Theft Auto another example of a large franchise. I tell you this. Look at the sales of Tales of Eternia(Psp), and Star Ocean 2 compared to the originals. How about Chrono Trigger DS? On a handheld where porting a game is probably just as expensive as half of making one, you don't see much reason to port anymore. That is why they "remake" them. This is even more true if you talk about current generation games.Like always there are exceptions though, such as Disgaea.

Console ports seem to sell much more though. Look at Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition. It is on track to outsell the Gamecube version. How about Okami? It at least matched the sales of the PS2 game.  A great example of a game that shows that porting doesn't work to well on handhelds is Manhunt 2(Wii Version) compared to the orignal PS2 Version, and the PSP Version. It sold 240k on Wii, 270k on PS2, and a measly 30k+(no Japanese Data, Wasn't released in Others) on PSP. I think that it is because some games work better on consoles. When you port it to a handheld it may be the same in content, but it isn't the same experience. This also goes the other way around too. So the ports that do work, have to translate to handhelds. Which gets back to my point, they are entirely different experiences so you need to compensate for the experience. When you compensate for the experience it isn't a port anymore because the original content would have to be changed to a large degree.

OMG Super Mario Galaxy for the PS3? :D