By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why PS3 sales didnt move softwares?

I think its from a multitude of different reasons really:

1. PS3 slim buyers know other PS3 owners. If my friend just bought a PS3 I would definately hook him up with games from my collection. He wouldn't need to buy any new software until a big release comes out as I have most of the really good games anyway.

2. The PS3 is owned by older people, many have a family. What this means is that if you want a games console for your kid when you're using the BR player or a BR player for your growing collection when your kids want to play games, it makes sense to own another console. Not everyone games and watch movies at the same time, the PS3 can do a lot but it can't do BR and games at the same time!!!

3. People rebuying the PS3 for themselves. My 60GB PS3 is getting pretty noisy, so yeah I am tempted to get a new piece of hardware if only for the quiet and lower power usage, the years warranty is a bonus. Can I put my 60GB HDD in the slim and sell the 120GB with my 60GB? I don't want the hassle of transferring everything if I go slim. Its not unheard of for Xbox 360 owners to buy new hardware, and with a slim its pretty obvious. What do they say? Hardcore owners buy the new stuff in the first week, I think.

Well thats my opinion, I don't think this is a big deal but its interesting you bought it up Atma.

Around the Network

This is nonsense because it sold more anyway, 200K more SW than the week before. 200k more out of 550K console, the other 350K is prolly devided by used game, bundle, getting games from a friends, renting or a few person that would purchase a non collector console before reselling their fat (I said before reselling their fat because if they sell their fat first and then purchase the slim its exactly like having a new consumer).

I get the feeling a pretty fair sized chunk of PS3 Slim buyers was hardcore players that possibly already owned an older PS3 (and maybe are now giving that one away or moving it to the bedroom or whatever).

To be fair I get the feeling the DSi is the same thing ... a lot of DS Phat/DS Lite owners are buying the DSi. Ditto for the PSP revisions. 

Soundwave, you cant compare a portable console that offer more to a normal console that offer actually less then the previous one. (Unless the reduce size and electricity usage is really important to you, between the difference in electricity is like 3$ a year.) Someone like me that has a fat 60 GB running perfectly would only loose by switching to the slim one. And from the comment on many many board and article, people seems to prefer the look of the fat anyway. But if you want to ditch sony about sales, im pretty sure that you can affirm that a big portion of PSPGo sales will come from people that already has a normal PSP, since its lighter and slimmer (2 big advantages when it comes to portable console).

Icyedge said:

Soundwave, you cant compare a portable console that offer more to a normal console that offer actually less then the previous one. (Unless the reduce size and electricity usage is really important to you, between the difference in electricity is like 3$ a year.) Someone like me that has a fat 60 GB running perfectly would only loose by switching to the slim one. And from the comment on many many board and article, people seems to prefer the look of the fat anyway. But if you want to ditch sony about sales, im pretty sure that you can affirm that a big portion of PSPGo sales will come from people that already has a normal PSP, since its lighter and slimmer (2 big advantages when it comes to portable console).

Exactly, it was also true for DS to DSi and PS2 to PS2 slim. I don't see why it would be different for the PS3.

Around the Network

Atma, lol, did you at least read what I said, slimmer and lighter is big advantage for a PORTABLE console, not for one standing next to your TV. The PS2 slim sales didnt come from people switching from the fat to the slim. I dont get how Microsoft can have that many fans ready to bash anything goods from another console.

Icyedge said:

Atma, lol, did you at least read what I said, slimmer and lighter is big advantage for a PORTABLE console, not for one standing next to your TV. The PS2 slim sales didnt come from people switching from the fat to the slim. I dont get how Microsoft can have that many fans ready to bash anything goods from another console.

So now I'm a MS fan? LOL

And yes there were a LOT of PS2 owners who bought the PS2 slim. Btw the DSi isnt slimmer or lighter than the DSi.

Wow! Try to be more informed please.

Hey and I just thought something funny. A hardcore gamer would prolly purchase the console when its released right, or soon after. That means PS3 most hardcore players prolly have all 60 GB. 60 GB is backward compatibility and theres slot for different memory card, tactil power and eject button. Can you tell me why in the world they would purchase the slim one if its not a collector edition???

Damn, I know the  DSI is not slimmer or lighter I was talkign of the PSPgo, but it has other advantages like the camera. The slim has no real advantages over the fat

It didn't move any Huge software because no new games came out. WFT are people going on about now? It had a 16% increase and was second behind the Wii this week. So it DID move software.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!