By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why PS3 sales didnt move softwares?

Maybe people rented some games and bought some Blu-Rays? There are a lot of people out there who like to collect movies but don't like keeping games.

Around the Network

Well if you compare the week before that (867,069) then it increased quite a bit. Like demotruk said, AA released which accounted for 464,701the week before the slim release.
Just guessing, doesn't a person usually buy 1-2 games when they buy a system? Especially when the consoles are $300+

Because of Others where the hardware rose 733% and software moved up 23%.

I can't see that many people paying $300 for that small of an upgrade, outside of Japan at least.

theprof00 said:
I think they've mentioned on this site previously that SW sales are much harder to track. Could be that. Could also be bundles. Could be used games too.

I think used games phenom is probably the huge blind spot.  If you're a new PS3 owner...and you have access to a gamestop like entity...you might be able to get a used game for half of original cost...BUT with the platinum editions going for only $19 to $29...I'm not sure why you'd get a used title.  In the US...BB has a buy 1 get 1/2 off a 2nd sale, so this week will be a good indicator.

"...You can't kill ideas with a sword, and you can't sink belief structures with a broadside. You defeat them by making them change..."

- From By Schism Rent Asunder

AdventWolf said:
Well if you compare the week before that (867,069) then it increased quite a bit. Like demotruk said, AA released which accounted for 464,701the week before the slim release.
Just guessing, doesn't a person usually buy 1-2 games when they buy a system? Especially when the consoles are $300+

Don't forget there was GH5 and the Gundam game to boost the SW too this week. I don't know for you, but personally when I'm buying a new system I usually buy at least one game to play with it, unless I'm buying it for other usage.

Around the Network

The issue is simple, and I really wish people would not make such a big deal out of this...

The ps3 was 299$. It launched at what time of the year? September. And what games released for the PS3 recently? Very few. If you're talking about old releases, why would you expect MASSIVE increases in those? The ps3 is a core gaming machine. It offers very little to casual gamers and has the superior core gaming lineup. Because of this, games like MGS4 which is a core game has an audience that would not of waited for the price drop. They own ps3s already.
That being said, MGS4 sales Were way up, Killzone 2 sales were way up, Uncharted Sales were way up, Batman: Arkham Asylum continued to outsell the 360, CoD4: MW sales are up, CoD: WaW sales are up, Fight Night round 4 sold well, and a bunch of other old software saw many small jumps and bumps.

The incorrect analysis is to say that ps3 owners were upgrading, not many people did this.
The Proper analysis is to consider the following.

Used sales. The ps3 was cheap, why not get the games used? We all know software isn't going to go up too much because of used sales! Come on now people, grow up! Used sales for PS3 games were most likely through the roof last week. If MGS4, KZ2, LBP, Valkyria Chronicles etc.. were not enough for you to get a ps3 before, you're not the kind of person that hates buying used.

Also, the PS3 has the largest catalogue of core games, meaning that sales are distributed. People probably didnt go out and buy three games, they got 1 or maybe 2. With such a massive selection of amazing games to choose from, you can be assured that sales were spread out over a large amount of titles.

The true effect of the PS3 slim will be how LONG these boosts last. Like MGS4, will it die off next week? or will it stay over 20k? Will Infamous continue to sell over 20k/week? Will KZ2 die off? Those are the questions. Software was universally up for the PS3. A lot of people are also waiting for the new games to come and buying used old games, I mean, they are obviously price conscious people or they would of bought the PS3 at 399 like the rest of us did.

The used games argument doesn't work unless there's some special reason to buy used games this week. Used and new games would be expected to rise proportionately to eachother with the increase in hardware sales.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Batman was a huge part of SW last week.

Also, Bundles... Blu-rays... Used games...

Demotruk said:
The used games argument doesn't work unless there's some special reason to buy used games this week. Used and new games would be expected to rise proportionately to eachother with the increase in hardware sales.

Absolutely not. It's the price concious individual buying the PS3 this week. New software will only see a little bump, while used software will see a massive bump.

The effect of the PS3 sales on new games will be shown when NEW games are released. IE Batman:AA, Uncharted 2, etc.

Aj_habfan said:
Because of Others where the hardware rose 733% and software moved up 23%.

I can't see that many people paying $300 for that small of an upgrade, outside of Japan at least.

This is interesting because it could confirm that vgc simply has trouble tracking all the software sales in smaller countries. Being able to survey and contact retailers (as vgc does), as well as other sources would be harder when there are hundreds of language barriers and no specific tracking orgs in those smaller countries.