By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why PS3 sales didnt move softwares?

inverted3reality said:
Demotruk said:
The used games argument doesn't work unless there's some special reason to buy used games this week. Used and new games would be expected to rise proportionately to eachother with the increase in hardware sales.

Absolutely not. It's the price concious individual buying the PS3 this week. New software will only see a little bump, while used software will see a massive bump.

The effect of the PS3 sales on new games will be shown when NEW games are released. IE Batman:AA, Uncharted 2, etc.

Why GH5(PS3) didnt outsell GH5(X360) then?

Around the Network

PS3's top 3 games barely sold as much as Batman did last week and overall software still manages to increase 200k while every other console sees a decrease (including 360, which also had a hardware bump this week).

Good job Sony!

Demotruk said:
Aside from Japan, I believe it's well accounted for by the fact that Batman AA launched last week.

Hhhmm.. what does Batman AA have to do with Uncharted, MGS4, LBP, Killzone 2 and Infamous not selling 100K copies this past week? Especially if you are buying a PS3 for the first time. Sure, I'd get Batman too, but I'd get at least 2 of these other games as well.

'gaming till I'm gone'

atma998 said:
inverted3reality said:
Demotruk said:
The used games argument doesn't work unless there's some special reason to buy used games this week. Used and new games would be expected to rise proportionately to eachother with the increase in hardware sales.

Absolutely not. It's the price concious individual buying the PS3 this week. New software will only see a little bump, while used software will see a massive bump.

The effect of the PS3 sales on new games will be shown when NEW games are released. IE Batman:AA, Uncharted 2, etc.

oh idk, 18 million vs 9 million had nothing to do with it.

mM

psrock said:
1. Week before Slim comes out : I doubt the price cut will make a difference, there is no demand.

2. Announcement 76k sold in NA: You see, with most retailers selling it, it only outsold 360 by 1000.

3. Article predict over 100k in JAPAN: Crazy, that can never happen, 60k most it can sell, silly ps3fanboys.
4. Oh, boy 1000% increase in UK: Well, that's nothing, as you can see that's 3 months of pent up demand, and it's not really 1000?% if you compare it to other weeks.
5. ioi announce over 500k sold for week: Well, that was expected, let's wait for next week.
6. ioi announce 144k in NA : Well, that was expected, It's the first week
7. 150k PS3 Slim sold in japan: They all exciting PS3 owners
8. 550k sold for the Week : But they didn't buy software.

9. The week after PS3 sold 250k WW.

10. The week after PS3 sold 150k WW.

Ah the cycle of life... :P

Around the Network
XanderZane said:
Demotruk said:
Aside from Japan, I believe it's well accounted for by the fact that Batman AA launched last week.

Hhhmm.. what does Batman AA have to do with Uncharted, MGS4, LBP, Killzone 2 and Infamous not selling 100K copies this past week? Especially if you are buying a PS3 for the first time. Sure, I'd get Batman too, but I'd get at least 2 of these other games as well.

My point was that it would be viewed as a greater rise if there had not been a significant release the previous week (although there were some slightly less significant releases this week).

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

leo-j said:
atma998 said:
inverted3reality said:
Demotruk said:

Yeah and 24.5M (Wii) vs 18.3M (X360) but GH5 X360 is > than GH5 Wii.

Nice try.

Why are you bringing casual games into this? Guitar hero has nothing to do with the PS3.

atma998 said:
leo-j said:
atma998 said:
inverted3reality said:
Demotruk said:

Yeah and 24.5M (Wii) vs 18.3M (X360) but GH5 X360 is > than GH5 Wii.

Nice try.

The sales of Guitar Hero have nothing to do with it. Guitar hero is a game like rockband, it's on its own. 80-90% of people who play rockband are non gamers. A large percentage of that bought the 360 arcade JUST to play rockband. Thats why it sells more on the 360.

PS3 is mainly a blu ray player confirmed?

On a serious note, i really did not expect any old titles to receive big spikes, i mean people that really wanted to play them bought a console before, the new adopters will steadily start picking games up.

Or maybe the new PS3 owners are teh casuals that simply do not want hardcore games?! i mean slim proably stole some sales from the Wii this week and people are anticipating Carnival games HD.