By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft’s Project Natal: Bigger and Badder Than We Thought

Isn't this simply another controller?
Anyone who thinks this and magic dildo's, waggle sticks or mind control devices will replace the controller for most games or will even try is clearly missing the point or really intimidated by them.

Don't people want a choice anymore or new toys to play with?
Don't people fill their homes with fad gadgets or expensive gizmo's they will stop using after a while?

Around the Network
Lord Flashheart said:
Isn't this simply another controller?
Anyone who thinks this and magic dildo's, waggle sticks or mind control devices will replace the controller for most games or will even try is clearly missing the point or really intimidated by them.

Don't people want a choice anymore or new toys to play with?
Don't people fill their homes with fad gadgets or expensive gizmo's they will stop using after a while?

If the 360 had introduced a controller like the wand, then MS only copies Nintendo, and it will be crap.

IF they try to innovate with Natal, they copied the PS Eye, AND it will be crap.

It's quite simple really...  HAHA.

Is it just me? I have zero enthusiasm for Natal or any motion controller system.

whatever said:
ramses01 said:
Sigh, NATAL topics always bring out those who lack any vision. IF MS DELIVERS on the promise shown at E3, NATAL will be the most significant gaming launch since the 2600.

Delivering includes the following for the conceptually challenged.

Bundled with Valhalla 360 arcades at $199 and available with 1 killer app at no more than $79.99 for existing owners (although $99 would be sweet if it included wireless).
Notice I said killer app, which doesn't necessarily mean game!
NATAL will supplement and compliment the controller, where beneficial, for Core games.
NATAL will introduce new experiences for the casual crowd.

Lay off the crystal meth, please.

Sigh, more folks incapable of reading comprehension and/or vision.  Care to name anything more significant?

d-pad - the NES controller was terrible interface device, an evolved 2600 stick would have been far superior

Optical media - graphics were upgraded but gameplay not so much

3D chips - see above

Live - significant shift for the console space but nothing new to computer gamers

Wii - broadened the audience but otherwise continued nintendo's decades long tradition of ignoring/crapping on core game genres

NATAL is more akin to all of those happening simultaneously

Natal needs to sell for less than $50. I suspect it will be bundled for "free" in the existing console skus. If not third party developers will not support it, and MS doesn't have the resources to develop a Natal library in-house.

If Natal is an effort to increase casual market-share, then I have no interest in it. For some reason developers think that casuals are only interested in mini-games or rhythm games. I would love to see MS or Sony or Nintendo show a compelling demo of a more traditional game using gesture based controls. Maybe one of them will show something interesting at TGS. The Ricochet game looked awful. It didn't matter if you hit the ball or missed it, you seemed to be rewarded with points either way.

Regarding the OP, I expected that Natal would have more than 20 people on its dev team.

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Around the Network

WAIT, hold it right now! Do i have to buy ANOTHER Xbox 360 to play NATAL or what? thats what it sounds like here thats why...

No, you do not need another Xbox for Natal.

Oh good lol, damn that would have sucked, so how much will it cost?

No-one knows.
None of the specifics have been released yet and probably wont be til spring next year at the earliest

crumas2 said:
thabigdon24 said:
Does anybody really think that MS will sell us the Natal add-on for less than $100? I just dont think that a few cameras and sensors and considering the extensive research that MS keeps talking about, that this can come in at less than $100 and certainly not less than $75. I really don't think that we will see many games at all for Natal, heck just as any add-on. Why would developers only want potential buyers not among the whole group of 360 people, but among the 20% that might actually get this? Developers just won't want to make many games for this unless ms forks over some major $$$$ for incentives.

dont mind me, i'm just being the realist over here.

A big part of what makes Natal tick is the software, which MS typically eats the R&D cost on so it can make money over time.

ok fine......even if MS bundles this for free, that's a $75 dollar loss that MS could have used towards a price cut or any other crucial operations job.   MS would be better off trashing the project.