By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft’s Project Natal: Bigger and Badder Than We Thought

Translation : "Our product is awesome. Believe us, cause we really want you to buy it. Don't let our product flop or we'll be out of jobs!"

Around the Network
bardicverse said:
Translation : "Our product is awesome. Believe us, cause we really want you to buy it. Don't let our product flop or we'll be out of jobs!"

this.

after knowing how badly the wii-mote didn't live up to what we the public thought it could do and how poorly 3rd party seems to embraces using motion control for anything but shitty mini-games MS needs to stop telling us it is going to be awesome and start showing us awesome software implementations that speak for themselves.

Sigh, NATAL topics always bring out those who lack any vision. IF MS DELIVERS on the promise shown at E3, NATAL will be the most significant gaming launch since the 2600.

Delivering includes the following for the conceptually challenged.

Bundled with Valhalla 360 arcades at $199 and available with 1 killer app at no more than $79.99 for existing owners (although $99 would be sweet if it included wireless).
Notice I said killer app, which doesn't necessarily mean game!
NATAL will supplement and compliment the controller, where beneficial, for Core games.
NATAL will introduce new experiences for the casual crowd.

I think the non-360 owners posts, outnumber us in here...wtf?? HAHA.

I'm excited to see the future of Natal. I think as an interactive element it has a ton of potential. I do NOT think it can completely replace the controller, but that is the beauty of it, why would it have to?

I'm sure MS will design games specifically for it that don't need the controller, but I think many other will use some of it's features to augment the controller functionality. Win!

I'm not seeing much evidence from the PS3 fans that Natal won't work other than "where are the games?" or "it will be too expensive" or "who would want to play using a different control scheme than what we always used before?".

Where are the games? The bloody thing isn't supposed to release until next year... at the earliest. Give me a break.

As far as it being too expensive, how would anyone know, yet? Aren't these the same PS3 fans who slammed people against the wall for speculating on how expensive the PS3 might be before launch?

Who would want to play using a different control interface? What about no feedback. This is too funny, and the weakest argument of them all. Now everybody watch what happens in this next process:

1. I explain how silly the "no feedback/new control interface" argument is... the Wii uses a radically new control interface, and is selling more games and consoles this gen than the competitors. And moving your arm around to play tennis, bowling, Zelda, etc. seems to work well, provides no "feedback", and millions upon millions of consumers have bought into it.

2. PS3 fans will ignore item 1 of my post and focus on "other" subjects.

3. The same "no feedback/new control interface" argument will eventually pop up in another thread... as far away from my counter-argument as possible.

The above tactic is usually used by people who can't defend their position, but want to keep spreading FUD anyway in a vain attempt to change public perception regarding the object of their ire. I fully expect it to continue as there seems to be a lot of FUD spreading going on.

Around the Network
bardicverse said:

LMAO!!!

penguin said:
Thanks for coming into the Microsoft disccusion forum and giving us your Crystal ball readings PS3 owners but I am sure MS know what they are doing, though I have no doubt they will have taken your essential comments onboard. (1 PS3 fanboy has only just joined this site just to post all negative 360 comments I see)

The system looks like and incredible bit of kit and games are only 1 of the many things this can be used for.

Should see more at the Tokyo show and I belive they are going to reveal something about the high amount of onboard proccesing power it has......

Thanks for coming into the Microsoft discussion forum and giving us your Crystal ball readings XBOX360 owners, but I am sure MS is not perfect, though I have no doubt they have considered your encouragement to complete the product. (1 XBOX360 fanboy has only just joined this site just to post all positive 360 comments I see)

I hope this turns out to be really cool. I don't want NATAL to replace regular controllers, but I do want it to work out well.

I really don't see my trying to play a game like that. With the Wii your holding something in your hand and still pressing buttons. With Natal your dancing around in your sitting room like a god dam fool.
Your supposed to be able to play car games with it by pretending to really drive a car. Ok everyone on this thread take a time out and right now pretend your driving a car. Theres an imaginary steering wheel in our hands and we are turning corners and making vroom noises. "Wow this is real fun" Nah wait I'm bored.

Any of you questioning the costs and the pricing of bundles strategy need to realize 2 things:

1) By the time Natal releases, the 360 will be considerably cheaper to produce. They will be on 45nm chips if not the combined 45nm Valhalla, and will have decreased power usage and cooling needs. Also, so far this year they have not dropped the price at all. The Elite at $299 currently is making about a $75 profit. If you don't believe me I can go into further detail about why this is a good estimate.

2) MS could easily produce this for $100, sell it for $100 to those who don't have a 360, and include it for free in every single new 360 purchased. This would erase the need for a price cut next year, meaning prices would remain $199/299 and extend the life of the console a few extra years.

MS needs Natal to be in as many hands as it can be, that's why they won't make it a $200 add-on. They will likely lower the price of the WiFi adapter by that point as well, so there isn't any questions about why the two cost the same when one is much more expensive to make.

Natal will also very likely be included next gen, with probably some nice enhancements. This means that next gen the technology for MS's console will be much cheaper to produce right off the bat.

And to the new troll accounts (likely Tim_Duncan spawns again) that think Natal will be a major flop because it doesn't use a controller, you obviously have no understanding of the purpose of Natal and it's target audience. If you honestly think there aren't any people out there that hate using a controller or find it too difficult, then you are very naive.