By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft’s Project Natal: Bigger and Badder Than We Thought

I still don't understand any of the hype surrounding Natal. Aside from an interesting way to navigate menus or pick movies, why would anyone care about playing games without a controller? Do you play tennis by flapping your hands? Do you drive a car without a steering wheel? Maybe there are people out there who have deep aspirations to becoming a mime can finally live out their dreams, but I'm not one of those people. I agree that a 16-button controller may be intimidating for some people, but I think the Wii's approach with steering wheels and tennis rackets, where the standard controller fits inside them, is more "natural".

Besides, I can see Natal backfiring when you do some sort of hand gesture to rub it in to a friend after beating them, only to have Natal misinterpret it and either cause you to crash or lob a hand grenade at yourself.

Maybe Microsoft will amaze us all, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Around the Network
thabigdon24 said:
Does anybody really think that MS will sell us the Natal add-on for less than $100? I just dont think that a few cameras and sensors and considering the extensive research that MS keeps talking about, that this can come in at less than $100 and certainly not less than $75. I really don't think that we will see many games at all for Natal, heck just as any add-on. Why would developers only want potential buyers not among the whole group of 360 people, but among the 20% that might actually get this? Developers just won't want to make many games for this unless ms forks over some major $$$$ for incentives.

dont mind me, i'm just being the realist over here.

I second this. There WiFi add-on is a hundred bucks, or was when it launched. This thing will be the cost of a PS3 when it comes out. By that I mean $199, cause the PS3 will have had another price drop. To top it off, it will not sell well and the games will be gimmicky like the Wii and PSeye.

Ps3 won't have another drop for another until April '11 I say.

darendt said:
thabigdon24 said:
Does anybody really think that MS will sell us the Natal add-on for less than $100? I just dont think that a few cameras and sensors and considering the extensive research that MS keeps talking about, that this can come in at less than $100 and certainly not less than $75. I really don't think that we will see many games at all for Natal, heck just as any add-on. Why would developers only want potential buyers not among the whole group of 360 people, but among the 20% that might actually get this? Developers just won't want to make many games for this unless ms forks over some major $$$$ for incentives.

I second this. There WiFi add-on is a hundred bucks, or was when it launched. This thing will be the cost of a PS3 when it comes out. By that I mean $199, cause the PS3 will have had another price drop. To top it off, it will not sell well and the games will be gimmicky like the Wii and PSeye.

It still is...lucky for me I found a bypass for that. And I have to say MS is either going to take a heavy loss by bundling NATAL with their system at either

A) Up the price of the 360 by 50-150 bucks

B) Add a 3rd SKU which includes NATAL and an elite with a bigger HDD at a hundred bucks more than the regular Elites.

C) Bundle NATAL for free?

OR

Sell it like Sony's Eye Toy but then the adoption for it might not be as huge as they want or expect it to be. 

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Wait.. Didn't they say this would support fps games?
How would you run, reload, shoot, throw grenades? The only possible way you can run is if every player was on a rail or something.
Meh.. I don't own an Xbox 360 anyways, just speaking my mind.

Around the Network
inverted3reality said:
Doesn't look any better than it did at E3, and we all know how that went.

Yeah we do, it produced massive hype, it impressed tens of thousands of people, the only ones not impressed don't understand it, or are just fanboys running scared. But they are a minority. For all you doubters out there, trust me MS will find the best way possible for Natal to be used seamlesly in a variety of gaming genre. 

Past Avatar picture!!!

Don't forget your helmet there, Master Chief!

The same comments we saw on E3 alongside the Avatar Seizure and problems recognizing black people.

Fix that, and turn it into a flawless motion tracking camera and you'll convince me. And some fun games please :P

DM235 said:
I still don't understand any of the hype surrounding Natal. Aside from an interesting way to navigate menus or pick movies, why would anyone care about playing games without a controller? Do you play tennis by flapping your hands? Do you drive a car without a steering wheel? Maybe there are people out there who have deep aspirations to becoming a mime can finally live out their dreams, but I'm not one of those people. I agree that a 16-button controller may be intimidating for some people, but I think the Wii's approach with steering wheels and tennis rackets, where the standard controller fits inside them, is more "natural".

Besides, I can see Natal backfiring when you do some sort of hand gesture to rub it in to a friend after beating them, only to have Natal misinterpret it and either cause you to crash or lob a hand grenade at yourself.

Maybe Microsoft will amaze us all, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Yes. This.

inverted3reality said:
Doesn't look any better than it did at E3, and we all know how that went.

yea we do all know how that went...GREAT! It was the most talked about show, and won E3.

Follow Me: twitter.com/alkamiststar

Watch Me: youtube.com/alkamiststar

Play Along: XBL & SEN : AlkamistStar

thabigdon24 said:

A big part of what makes Natal tick is the software, which MS typically eats the R&D cost on so it can make money over time.