By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft’s Project Natal: Bigger and Badder Than We Thought

Microsoft Game Studios has big, big plans for the XBox 360’s Project Natal. After the overwhelming reception upon it’s E3 2009 showing (not to mention the “smoke and mirrors” controversy surrounding some of the demonstrations), MGS is prepping it’s motion sensing peripheral to exceed any classification as a simple “add-on”.

Relja Markovic is Technical Director at Microsoft Game Studios, currently working on an unannounced title for Project Natal. He designed the Gesture Recognizer System and it’s workflow, and has been on the project from it’s beginning stages to the actual product, building a team from scratch along the way. What’s more is the work he’s done in the past for MGS, which includes “representing the interests of more than a dozen MGS titles to the Platform team, working across the entertainment division”. The most interesting part are the patents currently associated with NatalMarkovic himself has “contributed to over 20 Natal related patents”.

Markovic also details how he built a “development team from 3 developers to a head count of over 20″. These 20 patents include the three demos showcased earlier as Markovic cites “setting the technological direction and goals for the E3 PaintParty, Richochet and Racing demos (as seen on the Jimmy Fallon Show, Good Morning America, and the E3 keynote)” as one of his management achievements.

hxxp://www.split-screen.com/2009/09/09/microsofts-project-natal-bigger-and-badder-than-we-thought/

Around the Network

Nice, I will be picking up Natal day 1. It will be interesting to see what types of software starts pumping out with this gem.

This is why I will buy a Xbox360...if it isn't all reflected smoke.

Playing : PC  AOE, DiRT 2, Runes of Magic, Wings of Prey & Planetside 2  

Wii U : Nintendoland, Super Mario U  & Fifa 2013 demo

DS : Guitar Hero : On Tour

Formerly unknown as Vengi

http://vgchartz.com/profiles/profile.php?id=2331

Does anybody really think that MS will sell us the Natal add-on for less than $100? I just dont think that a few cameras and sensors and considering the extensive research that MS keeps talking about, that this can come in at less than $100 and certainly not less than $75. I really don't think that we will see many games at all for Natal, heck just as any add-on. Why would developers only want potential buyers not among the whole group of 360 people, but among the 20% that might actually get this? Developers just won't want to make many games for this unless ms forks over some major $$$$ for incentives.

dont mind me, i'm just being the realist over here.

It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

Around the Network

And i'm going to be objective here as well. Most add-ons dont amount to squat. I will have the same opinion of Sony if it implements 3-d gaming

^ actually rumor is that NATALwill be bundled with the xbox 360 and there will basically be a "relaunch" of the console

I mostly play RTS and Moba style games now adays as well as ALOT of benchmarking. I do play other games however such as the witcher 3 and Crysis 3, and recently Ashes of the Singularity. I love gaming on the cutting edge and refuse to accept any compromises. Proud member of the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race. Long Live SHIO!!!! 

But this would probably add 50-75 bucks to the whole thing....don't know if that is a good idea.

Doesn't look any better than it did at E3, and we all know how that went.

"bundled" doesn't always mean free. That also still activly leaves out 40? 45? million 360 users. HW pushes developers making SW for it.